• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • highli99

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2015
    West Side
    Thanks I should be OK because I bought the right LPK but you never know. Worth double checking for sure

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    In the 17 that spring is long (in the vertical) and pokes pretty far down in a grove/slot going down into the vertical portion of the trigger guard.

On this 19 it seems like it only sits in there loosely and kinda wedged itself when under tension. Is that correct or should it push down into a slot?

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    Also looks like it bulges/bows up into the recoil spring channel just a little and can see light rub marks on the top of it from the recoil spring

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The slide lock spring is different on the Glock 17 vs 19 vs 26. Your spring should be the one for a compact (19).

Fig 80 in the 2009 Glock Armorers' manual shows the differences.

Ok so I was reading your post and I thought that I might have got the wrong kit but I checked my order history from Midway and I had purchased the G19 kit
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/954622/glock-frame-parts-kit-glock-19-9mm-luger
    Well it seem that the spring was my culprit, maybe it was put in the kit by mistake :shrug:. I really didn't have anything to compare it to so I stripped the gun again and removed the slide stop and the spring, replaced the slide and it moved just like a factory Glock should. I snipped a small portion of the spring from the end that fits into the frame and it wasn't protruding into the spring channel anymore. Reassembled the build and now the slide moves effortlessly.
    Picture of how much spring I cut:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      29.1 KB · Views: 252

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Well it seem that the spring was my culprit, maybe it was put in the kit by mistake :shrug:. I really didn't have anything to compare it to so I stripped the gun again and removed the slide stop and the spring, replaced the slide and it moved just like a factory Glock should. I snipped a small portion of the spring from the end that fits into the frame and it wasn't protruding into the spring channel anymore. Reassembled the build and now the slide moves effortlessly.

Glad you got it worked out. I have the same bend on my spring. The slide stop spring channel on mine was filled with plastic debris from filing. A few shakes, smacks and scrapes were needed to clean the plastic out of the channel. Then I inserted the spring and slide lock.

Edit: No need to mod the spring. A 3/32 punch will fully seat the original one.

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    In the 17 that spring is long (in the vertical) and pokes pretty far down in a grove/slot going down into the vertical portion of the trigger guard.

On this 19 it seems like it only sits in there loosely and kinda wedged itself when under tension. Is that correct or should it push down into a slot?
    That is correct, it just kinda fits down into the cutout, doesn't really insert tightly, but when you put the slide stop in, it will stay in place. ;)

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Ok so I was reading your post and I thought that I might have got the wrong kit but I checked my order history from Midway and I had purchased the G19 kit
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/954622/glock-frame-parts-kit-glock-19-9mm-luger
    Well it seem that the spring was my culprit...

Edited with original text below. Other folks report that a 3/32 punch and some force is all that is needed to fully seat the slide lock spring. (Ref. Replies below this one) Edit: I have replaced my modified spring with a factory new one using a 3/32 punch to fully seated it.

I was thinking about your post and how my spring also sits up a bit. I used the same parts kit from Midway. So I got out my Dremel, popped out the spring and ground off about 1.5 mm to the offset bend - just a bit less than you did. I put the spring back in and it now sits flat in the channel.

My gun was running fine without this mod, but I would recommend it to anyone that bought Midway's LPK.

I also swapped out the extended mag release Midway sent with their kit for a standard (G287) mag catch release.

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    I was thinking about your post and how my spring also sits up a bit. I used the same parts kit from Midway. So I got out my Dremel, popped out the spring and ground off about 1.5 mm to the offset bend - just a bit less than you did. I put the spring back in and it now sits flat in the channel.

My gun was running fine without this mod, but I would recommend it to anyone that bought Midway's LPK. I also swapped out the extended mag release Midway sent with their kit for a standard (G287) mag catch release.
    Interesting... I'll pull out my 30 and compare it later. My spring does sit up just a bit where it bends coming up out of the receiver, but I don't think it's interfering, though I could be wrong, it does protrude into the action spring channel just a bit...

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Hmmm... you might be right.. after looking at my spring closely, I can see a little wear track down the center of it. It really doesn't interfere that you can feel, but I'll investigate further later on.. (yes, Midway P80 LPK)

sorry, sucky cell pic... :o

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      76.5 KB · Views: 243

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County

My gun was running fine without this mod, but I would recommend it to anyone that bought Midway's LPK. I also swapped out the extended mag release Midway sent with their kit for a standard (G287) mag catch release.
    I had used compressed air and a pick to clean out the slot before I had initially installed the spring so I was pretty sure it was cleaned out before the spring went in.
    Interesting... I'll pull out my 30 and compare it later. My spring does sit up just a bit where it bends coming up out of the receiver, but I don't think it's interfering, though I could be wrong, it does protrude into the action spring channel just a bit...

Hmmm... you might be right.. after looking at my spring closely, I can see a little wear track down the center of it. It really doesn't interfere that you can feel, but I'll investigate further later on.. (yes, Midway P80 LPK)

sorry, sucky cell pic... :o
    My spring was sitting up like it is in your picture before I snipped the small portion off of it, now it sits below the channel and seems to let the slide stop work better. Before when the slide would travel forward into battery the stop would move up and down, now it's doing what it was meant to do.:thumbsup:

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    I was experiencing the same thing with the stop moving when going back into battery (not incredibly smoothly) and could feel gritty almost, I think the grit feeling was the recoil spring riding the slide stop spring and each of the coils rubbing off the hump like in the photo above, the slide stop jumping as each coil slid off.

Ground the stop spring just until the short bend on the end, tried reinstalling, didn't have as much spring tension on the stop so bent it up a little more.

Now installed and no more gritty feeling, and no more moving of the stop when cycling.

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    I had used compressed air and a pick to clean out the slot before I had initially installed the spring so I was pretty sure it was cleaned out before the spring went in.

My spring was sitting up like it is in your picture before I snipped the small portion off of it, now it sits below the channel and seems to let the slide stop work better. Before when the slide would travel forward into battery the stop would move up and down, now it's doing what it was meant to do.:thumbsup:

I used a dental pick, too. The sppring from Midway is fine. Use a 3/32 punch and it will fully seat. My original thought on this was wrong (quoted below).
    My Original Text: You definitely found a problem with the Midway LPK slide stop spring. (edit: other folks report a punch and some force will fully seat the spring)

Last edited:

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Did a little research this morning... I have a G30, so I stripped out the spring and slide stop and compared it to the spring that came with the Midway kit. I even took the 30 spring and stuck it in the 19 slide... fit like a glove, but it is a shorter reach spring for the 30, so it won't function properly, but... it shows me where the difference was.

The spring that came with the LPK is marked 2317, which is the correct part number for the 19 spring, but it sure has a longer leg than the 30 spring where is fits down into the receiver, so... I measured both... the 30 spring was approx 0.200" from the bottom of that leg that fits into the frame, to the top of the horizontal section where it's bent. The 19 spring from Midway was about 0.260" long in that section, so I took the dremel and shortened it to close to 0.200", dropped it in and it fits like a champ now.

The two springs compared 19 and 30 and the after pic as compared to the one from yesterday with no spring mods..

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
      FullSizeRender.jpg
      30.5 KB · Views: 215
    • IMG_3881.JPG
      IMG_3881.JPG
      83.3 KB · Views: 218

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    One other possibility, and I didn't try this before I cut a little off the spring.... I was just talking with a buddy that has built a couple and he said he had issues and wound up taking a punch (like a 3/32" punch) and just jamming the spring down hard into the frame and it did, eventually seat all the way down, almost like the slot in the frame is a little tight and ya just need to force it a bit. His fit fine with the same LPK and no mods to the spring.

Next time I order some Glock parts, I'll order a factory spring 2317 and try that.. ;)

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    One other possibility, and I didn't try this before I cut a little off the spring.... I was just talking with a buddy that has built a couple and he said he had issues and wound up taking a punch (like a 3/32" punch) and just jamming the spring down hard into the frame and it did, eventually seat all the way down, almost like the slot in the frame is a little tight and ya just need to force it a bit. His fit fine with the same LPK and no mods to the spring.

Next time I order some Glock parts, I'll order a factory spring 2317 and try that.. ;)

I've been doing that with all the ones I've done/assisted with - no one told me to, just been doing it cause I felt the spring wasn't fully seated in the channel.

Huh, for once I'm ahead of the curve...

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    ...he said he had issues and wound up taking a punch (like a 3/32" punch) and just jamming the spring down hard into the frame and it did, eventually seat all the way down, almost like the slot in the frame is a little tight and ya just need to force it a bit. His fit fine with the same LPK and no mods to the spring...

Now I'm curious. I used needle nose pliers to set the spring originally. I used a punch after I ground off the metal below the bend and I was able to seat it completely against the frame.

Was using the punch really all I needed to concentrate the pressure to seat the spring? I can see I'm going to have to pickup another spring to try this out again. (The answer is YES. I replaced the modded spring with a standard one.)

Last edited:

swierczekml

Apr 19, 2011
    Was using the punch really all I needed to concentrate the pressure to seat the spring?

I had a similar issue with spring seating and a punch (with a fair amount of pressure) was all I needed to seat it properly and avoid interference with the recoil spring. No cutting required.

judah7

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 18, 2017
    Finally got around to ordering two of the glock 19 compacts, 2 just incase I screw up because this will be my first time doing something like this.

Shoobedoo

US Army Veteran
    Jun 1, 2013
    Keyser WV
    Finally got around to ordering two of the glock 19 compacts, 2 just incase I screw up because this will be my first time doing something like this.

Just take your time and go slow, you'll be fine, and if you do have any problems just post it here, chances are somebody has already encountered the same or a similar issue and will be glad to offer you some advice and assistance.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    Now I'm curious. I used needle nose pliers to set the spring originally. I used a punch after I ground off the metal below the bend and I was able to seat it completely against the frame.

Was using the punch really all I needed to concentrate the pressure to seat the spring? I can see I'm going to have to pickup another spring to try this out again.
    I ordered one this morning, should have it next week and I'll give it a try..

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom