• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gruntz03

Jan 6, 2009
    Lusby
    Anyone have any experience hunting the public lands in Southern Calvert? Calvert Cliffs, Parkers Creek, Flag Pond.
    Are they crowded for bow hunting? Is it worth the hassle?
    Looking for a place that is closer to home to take my boys out.
    Thanks!

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    Calvert Cliffs

Calvert Cliffs should be fine anytime for bow. The only time you have crowd issues is opening day of firearms. Get there very early because they only let a limited number of hunter in but later in the day it thins out.

One year when I was not permitted to hunt the AM at Calvert Cliffs, I went over the bridge to St. Mary's Park (end of the road behind Kmart.) This is a great area to hunt.

Good Luck

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Calvert Cliffs is pretty productive during early bow season when the pressure is down. On opening days of any of the seasons the lots fill fast.

Kings landing has a good amount of game, but, the "handicapped Accessible Gate" that disabled hunters (and anyone else who can get a waiver) can use to get way back to where I like to hunt is basically a highway during gun season with hunters driving back and forth all day. I walked all the way to the back and was all set up when just before sun set a jeep drives through the field I was posted on and parks in the middle of the field. Not a happy camper.

Now I try only to hunt during the week and bad weather days when no one is around.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    Calvert Cliffs is pretty productive during early bow season when the pressure is down. On opening days of any of the seasons the lots fill fast.

Kings landing has a good amount of game, but, the "handicapped Accessible Gate" that disabled hunters (and anyone else who can get a waiver) can use to get way back to where I like to hunt is basically a highway during gun season with hunters driving back and forth all day. I walked all the way to the back and was all set up when just before sun set a jeep drives through the field I was posted on and parks in the middle of the field. Not a happy camper.

Now I try only to hunt during the week and bad weather days when no one is around.

I am thinking about hitting up kings landing the Tuesday after bow opens up. Do I really need to get back almost to the river or would it be worth it to climb a tree around the edges of the fields? I mean it is the beginning of the season, but its a weekday so how busy could it be? Right?

Last edited:

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Bow season you should be fine, no need to go way back. Any of the trails leading up to the fields but still in the woods you should be fine. I find the deer really hold up to just before dark, so if you in a little deeper in the woods you should be productive.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I am going to try and get out the Wednesday after season opens. I can't zero out my xbow until next Tuesday. I'm hoping to sit in the stand early and then again in the early evening. Here's to hoping I bring home the meat.

midnightSGT

Oct 17, 2013
    Calvert County
    Last week when I went dove hunting at Kings landing the corn fields and sorgum were still standing. So plan on being away from the fields a bit. I will go by today after
    work and see if they cut any of the crops. I will advise.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I am here now and still plenty of crops. I walked through the corn field, that was a nightmare, and while I want to get a deer I don't want to have to drag it out of here with that corn up. Any idea when that corn might be coming down? It sure is nice in a tree though.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    I have been thinking about trying out Kings Landing and I went and qualified for Parkers Creek a couple weeks ago. I got a doe on Friday Saturday and Monday so as long as I keep dropping does I will wait to try out the public land. The streak ended yesterday so lets see how the rest of the week goes. Hoping we have a record year in Calvert County to thin the heard out a little / LOT. I haven't even seen a buck on my trail cams the last two months. I seen a few last winter though so they must be around somewhere.

mattyrayb

Feb 23, 2010
    waldorf
    I'm down the road from Indian creek and have gone there quite a few times.
    I mainly see deer during bow (lost a buck there a couple years ago). Actually last year I saw an absolute monster while I was walking in to mark my stand for the next day, of course I didn't have anything with me except a box of tacks. We just starred each other down about 30yds from each other.
    Anyway, I haven't harvested one there yet but they are obviously there. Fair warning, it's a pretty long walk to the better areas along the river.

Isaakb

Dec 15, 2015
    Northern Calvert County
    I'm down the road from Indian creek and have gone there quite a few times.
    I mainly see deer during bow (lost a buck there a couple years ago). Actually last year I saw an absolute monster while I was walking in to mark my stand for the next day, of course I didn't have anything with me except a box of tacks. We just starred each other down about 30yds from each other.
    Anyway, I haven't harvested one there yet but they are obviously there. Fair warning, it's a pretty long walk to the better areas along the river.

Thanks, I setup in the woods between the corn fields and only saw a fox. I will try and walk down the handicap road to get in the back. Walking through the corn was a mess and I don't want to do that again. I really don't want to drag a deer and my stand and my crossbow too far, but I guess I'll figure it out if I get a deer. Might leave my stand there and come back for it after I drop off the deer at the processor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom