Need Proof of A Clearance for CCW? Check This Out.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    [EDIT] This pertains to contractors.
    The fact that you have a TS/SI clearance is not in of itself classified, however, many security managers are hesitant to provide this information in writing as a basis for a CCW. Although the reason given is often for OPSEC, I say BS. IMHO they just don't want to go through the trouble. Recently some government bureaucrats have placed a obstacle in place forbidding companies from writing such a letter stating that the FAR forbids anyone from profiting from their security clearance (like CNN contributors for example :rolleyes:). Also BS and clearly someone using their position to block people from owning firearms.

There is another solution. You can make a privacy act request to get your JPAS records from Defense Manpower Data Center. This should take about 10 business days to complete. It is your right to do so. You can visit https://dpcld.defense.gov/Privacy/Resources/Privacy-Act-Request/ for more details. Here is a draft letter you can use. Scan you request letter and response (you need only include records for your current assignment), and this should provide proof to MSP that you hold the required security clearance. You MUST mention SORN: DMDC 12 DoD in the request.

-------------------------------

Defense Manpower Data Center
    Attn: Privacy Act Office
    Dept. 548
    1600 Spearhead Ave.
    Fort Knox, KY 40122-5504

December XX, 2020

To Whom It May Concern,

I am making a privacy act request for my current Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) records. This type of request falls under System of Record Notice SORN: DMDC 12 DoD.

As proof of identification, I have included a scanned copy of my driver’s license. I am also providing the following information:

SSN: xxx

City and State of Birth: xxx

Contact phone and Email; xxxxxx / xxxxxx@xxx.com

I declare under penalty of perjury the foregoing information is true and correct. Executed on December XX, 2020

CJ Doe

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    So do you have a Unit Security Assistant? Or is this a company?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

JaeLess

Nov 20, 2020
    It will be easier for all parties to just have your security manager call your investigator and ask him exactly what he wants the letter to say. If yours won’t, find one who will. Provided you have one that will help you out, it is not too hard to get your permit, and pretty straightforward. Without a letter from your security manager (per MSP’s instructions) it is highly unlikely you will get your permit.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So keep in mind that there is a certain government agency (name will not be mentioned here) that has forbidden their contractors from writing these letters due to their interpretation of the FAR as "profiting" from their clearance. This is an alternative. You still need verification of employment as well.

JaeLess

Nov 20, 2020
    I would be interested to see if someone can use this process and be able to get a permit. Maybe they will allow it and accept it, who knows....

Grog23

Sep 7, 2014
    Valley Lee
    My company was happy to provide a security clearance letter for my W&C. Plenty of people I work also carry and provided a company letter. I really don't see have getting a W&C is profiting off your clearance. Are the bureaucrats going to take you paycheck away next?

TexDefender

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2017
    This pertains to contractors.
    If you are a contractor, then you should try the security manager of government agency they are providing too. As it is government security manager that will know the rules the most.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    My company was happy to provide a security clearance letter for my W&C. Plenty of people I work also carry and provided a company letter. I really don't see have getting a W&C is profiting off your clearance. Are the bureaucrats going to take you paycheck away next?

You know what's funny is they will pay someone a $5K or $10K finders fee for finding a cleared person.

johnkn

Ultimate Member
    Feb 27, 2012
    Some FSOs are indeed reluctant to provide the letter. My suggestion is to first have a 1 on 1 conversation in order to help them understand the true context of the request and what exactly is being requested and what is not being requested. Confirmation of active tickets in and of itself is not prohibited, it happens frequently on the low side as part of a resume / employment change, but in case such as this it may feel unnatural and foreign to some FSOs.

Good luck

Thunder239

Feb 10, 2014
    The letter to MSP also has to indicate that the clearance hold has access to classified info on a regular basis. Seems like a no brainer but they want it included in the letter verifying the clearance.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Well, would you have gotten a permit without a clearance?
    That's a gain.

Do the do's. Don't do the dont's.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I personally know someone who has used the requested records as proof of clearance and was successful. In fact, this individual helped about 4 other people obtain their CCW using that method.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    QUOTE=Thunder239;6143948]The letter to MSP also has to indicate that the clearance hold has access to classified info on a regular basis. Seems like a no brainer but they want it included in the letter verifying the clearance.[/QUOTE]

That info is now outdated. When applying for your permit, it gives you a spot to upload a letter that includes: "WRITTEN VERIFICATION FROM THE EMPLOYEE’S SECURITY MANAGER CONFIRMING EMPLOYMENT AND ACTIVE CLEARANCE LEVEL."

Having a letter include only those two bits of info satisfies MSP requirements

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    That's a gain.

So you have to look at this in the context of the FAR regulation, and in this context it is a monetary gain. This info request is to satisfy an info need from a LEO. Quite frankly, I don't get why there are not open lines of communication between DoD and LEO's to get the kind of info in the first place.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    That's a gain.

Hey Mike. Serious question and I am not being a Richard. Gain aside, why did you care if someone uses their clearance as a g&s. It is legal and in the MSP policy. You are covered under LEOSA.
    I have wondered that for a while when I see you post in these threads. Again I am generally curious. I am not trying to start a shit storm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom