• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    So, I submitted my MD handgun permit using a letter from my current job, but I'm going to be switching jobs in about a month or so. I will still qualify for the permit with my new job, but I don't think my new employer will issue a new verification letter. How do I go about this? Should I just not let MSP know and hope they talk to the current job's manager before I put my 2 weeks in? Do you think an offer letter from the new company would suffice if they ask?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would ask, why should a new job not have to do what your old one had to do in order to get it?
    If your new job (whatever that is) qualifies you for the permit, why wouldn't they give documentation?
    I look at this this as deception if you don't tell them.
    I meant since it's the job that literally qualifies you. Shouldn't the new job know? Are you going to hide that from them too?

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I would ask, why should a new job not have to do what your old one had to do in order to get it?
    If your new job (whatever that is) qualifies you for the permit, why wouldn't they give documentation?
    I look at this this as deception if you don't tell them.
    I meant since it's the job that literally qualifies you. Shouldn't the new job know? Are you going to hide that from them too?

There was an order from higher up which prevents employers from issuing the type of verification MSP needs and I just happened to get my current employer to give me the letter before the new order barring them from doing so came out.. Not deception at all, just simply trying to figure out the best way to avoid an extra headache.

As a side note, it’s not the job itself that qualifies me, but the location and everything that goes along with it.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    There was an order from higher up which prevents employers from issuing the type of verification MSP needs and I just happened to get my current employer to give me the letter before the new order barring them from doing so came out.. Not deception at all, just simply trying to figure out the best way to avoid an extra headache.

As a side note, it’s not the job itself that qualifies me, but the location and everything that goes along with it.
    Is there no statement in the paperwork or during the interview the investigator says inform us of any changes?

Again, so you're carrying during work with the new employer and they don't know it? That seems ok?
    So if it's the location and not the employer, then why did the old employer have to give a letter?
    As an investigator, I'd find you're lack of candor during the process as deception because with the new employer you know you wouldn't get the permit. So your going along the process under false pretenses.
    But hey, you do you.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    No, I'm not carrying during work. This actually carrying of a firearm has nothing to do with my job. I'm just using a federal contractor position as a way to obtain a permit. It's listed as an approved reason for submitting a permit, so I'm using it. Again, the actual thing that qualifies me is not changing, only the company is. I will still be fully qualified based on the requirements of MSP.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Is a good plan just to tell them I'm in the process of switching jobs, but I'll still qualify based on the their requirements and then give them an offer letter from the new company of they ask?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No, I'm not carrying during work. This actually carrying of a firearm has nothing to do with my job. I'm just using a federal contractor position as a way to obtain a permit. It's listed as an approved reason for submitting a permit, so I'm using it. Again, the actual thing that qualifies me is not changing, only the company is. I will still be fully qualified based on the requirements of MSP.
    Here's the thing with backgrounds. Investigators like to hear it from the applicant and not finding out themselves, which is usually detrimental.
    I know your appetite is whet for the permit, but would you not tell your background investigator for a TS of any changes during the background investigation?
    You saying you still qualify, unfortunately doesn't approve the permit. That's up to the state, unfortunately.
    I'm of the ilk if there are changes in an application during the process and you don't update them, then that's deception.
    If the process says one needs a letter from an employer, then one needs a letter from an employer.
    Maybe all this is no big deal. I'm just going by when I helped do backgrounds for the FAM service. We had no obligation to continue if something seemed not right with an application.

I would just hate to have three state ask me "why didn't you inform us of your job change?"
    That's an odd situation right there.

Kevmo

N00b
    Feb 20, 2009
    Severn
    if i remember correctly during my process a year or so ago, i was told all you have to do is let them know you changed jobs, you want to let them know ASAP. otherwise they'll think you tried to mislead them and they'll wonder if your new job still qualifies you for the permit and it'll just delay it.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Alright, thanks for the advice, guys! I'll let them know of the upcoming job change, but do you think it's safe to wait until I get assigned an investigator and telling him/her that way I have a more direct line for the permit process?

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    Did you actually change jobs yet? Then what is there to report?
    If you were changing jobs and losing the clearance then I'd say it would be deception not to inform. However, if it is a lateral move while maintaining a clearance then what's the rush of reporting until it actually occurs? Plans change all the time.
    Either way you are probably out of luck with your renewal.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I think the OP's problem is that he's using a TS clearance letter to get his permit, but he's switching jobs to a new place that doesn't issue letters (while still retaining his clearance). There's nothing here about lying to his clearance investigators or employer, which I agree is a hard no-go. This is about how much he's required to disclose to the MSP as part of the CC permit process.

I don't think you're under a duty to inform the MSP until the job change is complete, but I do think once it is, you probably need to tell them. And, yes, that may mean you are going to have problems getting your CC permit.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I think the OP's problem is that he's using a TS clearance letter to get his permit, but he's switching jobs to a new place that doesn't issue letters (while still retaining his clearance). There's nothing here about lying to his clearance investigators or employer, which I agree is a hard no-go. This is about how much he's required to disclose to the MSP as part of the CC permit process.

I don't think you're under a duty to inform the MSP until the job change is complete, but I do think once it is, you probably need to tell them. And, yes, that may mean you are going to have problems getting your CC permit.

Exactly. You just managed to say it in a much better way, so thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom