PSA - Don't get angry when the Loctite won't budge.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I used heat and a little love then I decided to bring on the hate.....

Don't do this....
    f06ef66e533bcf07af9f120f5b879764.jpg
    ddde7fd80de16f61925cdce451c9774c.jpg

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Don't think that will buff out....

I'm still working it through how I'm going to get the other half off. I'm 90% sure the cerakote under the thing is going to be toast.

My penance for being cheap, not getting another mount and being stupid. Half of me is enjoying the project.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Only if you have a dremel

Funny!! You have seen dremel destruction before. That was the easy part. Hard part will be releasing the tension on the center spring to get the thing off without harming the receiver.

Yeah, I knew when I stripped the one screw that holds it on, I was in trouble. Tried a removal tool but the crap was so soft it just kept making it worse. I even pre-heated the glue but I guess I used too much glue. My impatience got the best of me and I got pissed at the thing. I've hated that mount since the day I put it on so I wasn't too sad to carve the thing up.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    You just needed someone with a mill and a little time. Remove the stripped head, flip it over and bore the threaded part of the shaft out. Probably hitting it with a small drill bit would loosen the lock tight once the screw heated up.

What are you doing with what's left of the sight?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    You just needed someone with a mill and a little time. Remove the stripped head, flip it over and bore the threaded part of the shaft out. Probably hitting it with a small drill bit would loosen the lock tight once the screw heated up.

What are you doing with what's left of the sight?

The sight is perfect shape. I just hacked the mount. I have to dremmel the center spring out to release the tension so I can remove it. Going to get a quick release mount. Probably LaRue.

If I had any patience this would never happen.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Loctite did what it was supposed to do. Don't diss the product ;)

Do you remember what strength you used?

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Loctite did what it was supposed to do. Don't diss the product ;)

True...It was the blue removable. I think I put too much on. I hated that mount. It would loosen after a dozen rounds and only has one hex screw that would tighten an internal spring that brought two pieces of the mount together. I would put a little loctite on it and it still would loosen. I eventually used way too much. I heated the thing up for a while and it still wouldn't budge. Finally it stripped. I drilled it to no avail because the hex screw was really soft and nothing would grab it. Additionally the screw is recessed in a little so it was difficult to grab with any other tool.

I finally had enough and sliced it in half to get the optic off. Right now everything is pristine save the mount. I'm pretty sure I can slice the internal spring and it'll release the tension. Doing it and not touching the receiver will be a challenge.

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Was there anything special/unique about the upper receiver? I don't know if I would spend that much time and effort on a run of the mill AR upper.

Good luck with that.

Be safe.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Was there anything special/unique about the upper receiver? I don't know if I would spend that much time and effort on a run of the mill AR upper.

Good luck with that.

Be safe.

Its not as bad as it looks. Relatively its bad but I've seen worse to other types of equipment. It'll take time and careful dremel work but I'm confident I'll get it sliced off tomorrow. The more I stare at it and ponder how to get it off I believe I can keep the finish unblemished. You cannot see it but the screw is still in there and I could probably drill a hole in it and try again.

Its an LWRCI upper so its worth the effort. The instant I tried the first turn and broke the bit I knew I was in trouble. After breaking the 3rd bit subconsciously I knew this was going to happen. Can't say I haven't done this to myself before but I always get out of it and learn from it in the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom