• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    What flavor barrel do you have on now? OAL and gas port length?

What are you planning on doing with it?

Seems you are putting the cart before the horse.

Can you post up some pics of your current barrel?

HBAR means listed as such or has a .750" diameter from the receiver to the gas port and ideally no further cut down sections up to the muzzle. Note the 14.5" Colt Socom barrel is approved by the MSP as HBAR and has both the grenade launcher cut outs and reduction for the mount up front. It's much lighter versus a full 16" HBAR and still has a good accuracy record. I swapped out a 16" PSA HBAR barrel that shot fine and I paid $75 for and don't regret it.

Not sure yet. Got it with the built upper for Sub Moe Target. But was told it is an HBAR 16" 1-8 twist .750. But IMO looks like a "government profile" it curves down just after the gas block and goes back up. I do not have any pictures of just the barrel.

I just what a good MD compliant barrel and for the money the Faxon looks good.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    yes from what i understand the young man was shooting on his farm for hours...30 acres of land. Has done so for years. A new neighbor called police for the noise complaint. MSP showed up and checked things out. Said no problems he was fine but one noticed the rifle and asked to see it. MSP said that the Ar-15 had a "government profile barrel" looking thru the custom hand guard and took it. Said he needed to provide proof that it was a HBAR. He did order it from out of state but it was ordered as a MD complaint AR-15 from a well know manufacture. So my understanding is not even MSP know all the rules and laws

That is something everyone here needs more info on....anyone else know about this?

freebird

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 11, 2013
    yes from what i understand the young man was shooting on his farm for hours...30 acres of land. Has done so for years. A new neighbor called police for the noise complaint. MSP showed up and checked things out. Said no problems he was fine but one noticed the rifle and asked to see it. MSP said that the Ar-15 had a "government profile barrel" looking thru the custom hand guard and took it. Said he needed to provide proof that it was a HBAR. He did order it from out of state but it was ordered as a MD complaint AR-15 from a well know manufacture. So my understanding is not even MSP know all the rules and laws

If true, WOW. So much wrong.

IX-3

Aug 21, 2018
    Eastern Shore, MD

If that's truly the case people need to start either carrying a copy of all of their receipts as well as a print out from the manufacturers website where it states it is an HBAR. Another option is an app like Evernote so you don't end up carrying a binder full of paperwork with you to shoot.

River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    I can recommend the Criterion 16 inch chrome lined .223 Wylde chambered HBAR barrel. It comes stamped as an "HBAR" and has been a solid performer on my build with both .223 and 5.56. Also--agree on the DD S2W barrel--but make sure if you go this route you make copies of DD's specs that specify it is DD's Heavy Profile barrel. I keep the paperwork with my DD V11Pro in the case ---just in case...

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    well i was going to go with the Faxon 16" Heavy Fluted 1.8 twist wylde. Its in stock $35 cheaper 11oz lighter and seem to have very good reviews as well. And MD compliment since it is a Heavy Barrel. Although your choice is too.

I figure you have experience with both barrels and I was wondering what makes one better than the other?

As teh resident GS, I would naturally assume he does.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

Something sounds fishy. The burden is on the State to prove it is not legally owned. If that all happened as you heard, he should be taking them to court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    Something sounds fishy. The burden is on the State to prove it is not legally owned. If that all happened as you heard, he should be taking them to court.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope was not arrested.
    In fact this morning he said he got the proper paper work from the compliance officer stating the AR was and is built with a heavy barrel and has a government profile. So he should be getting his rifle back.

And yes sounds very fishy. But that's my whole concern. No one seems to know the law. In fact My instructor was put in cuffs 3 months ago on his way to class. He is US Marshall and a LEO the deputy pulled him over for speeding and my instructor for what ever reason disclosed that he was carrying and showed him his credentials and the deputy had him step out of the car and put him in cuffs and stated that Maryland does not recognize any other states carry permit.WTF! The deputy's Sergent came to the scene and yelled at the deputy to get him out of cuffs stating that the instructors creds out weight the deputies! lol

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    well i was going to go with the Faxon 16" Heavy Fluted 1.8 twist wylde. Its in stock $35 cheaper 11oz lighter and seem to have very good reviews as well. And MD compliment since it is a Heavy Barrel. Although your choice is too.

I figure you have experience with both barrels and I was wondering what makes one better than the other?

If you want a barrel that works well, faxon is a good choice, but they are not something I turn to for accuracy. Can they be accurate? Yes, but not all are.

I have yet to handle a Criterion that does not shoot well. Criterion barrels are capable of excellent reliability when heated up, which not all precision barrels do well in the AR.

Shoot next to a fella like me with a Criterion and you will regret not spending that extra $35.00.

The weight is something I prefer, but if you are focused on weight, then perhaps a fluted barrel is for you. I like the added weight, it keeps my optics on target better.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I can stamp it for you.

Attachments

• 5184dRdk9iL._US500_.jpg
      5184dRdk9iL._US500_.jpg
      36.7 KB · Views: 248

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    If that's truly the case people need to start either carrying a copy of all of their receipts as well as a print out from the manufacturers website where it states it is an HBAR. Another option is an app like Evernote so you don't end up carrying a binder full of paperwork with you to shoot.

I keep pictures on my phone from the manufacturers website where it reads “heavy” barrel. Just in case.

Again, get the DD S2W barrel. Made by DD in-house. Some of SOCOM uses DD weapons, as per a friend in MARSOC. DD has exceptional customer service. To me, it’s worth the extra money.

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    If you want a barrel that works well, faxon is a good choice, but they are not something I turn to for accuracy. Can they be accurate? Yes, but not all are.

I have yet to handle a Criterion that does not shoot well. Criterion barrels are capable of excellent reliability when heated up, which not all precision barrels do well in the AR.

Shoot next to a fella like me with a Criterion and you will regret not spending that extra $35.00.

The weight is something I prefer, but if you are focused on weight, then perhaps a fluted barrel is for you. I like the added weight, it keeps my optics on target better.

Thank you for your input. I think i am just going to get both! Screw the money. I would rather shoot them both and make my decision on what fits me best and the only way to do that is to buy them both. Figure the one I like the least I will put in the stag which will definitely be a step up on that gun.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    That is something everyone here needs more info on....anyone else know about this?

John at Gymratz sells MD compliant ARs but not all, like the Armorlite Eagle 15, don't have HBAR stamped on the barrel. He stated so long as the manufacturer says that they are HBAR/MD compliant you are legal and the burden of proof is on MD not the owner, (yeah tell that to the guy w/ the 30 acres). Personally, I would prefer HBAR be stamped on the barrel so that there is never a question in the field.

Thanks to all for the scoop on the barrels. I recently purchased a Wylde ss rifle length upper from PSA that turns out NOT to be MD compliant so I will be swapping barrels.

I'd prefer ss but the following should do the job: Brownells has a $25 and up off sale going on right now.

18 HBAR RIFLE 223 WYLDE
    100-010-411WB
    18" HBAR Contour, Rifle Gas System, 223 Wylde

Mfr Part: 15180HB12

andy41567

Oct 1, 2018
    OK I got my whole issue sorted out! I called up sub moe target in VA and told them all about what I had learned about the HBAR issue. They are the company I hot the upper from at the show. They understood 100% and said MD has some messed up funny laws. Lol But they said they have had this happen before. They did look at all the info on my barrel and said that it is in compliance but of course it doesn't look like. They said they are just going to send out a whole new barrel that is stamped HBAR without the Contour after the gas block. So i will be 100% good to go. All I need to do is send the old one back. So I am going to be rolling in barrels now! Lol. What great customer service

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I realize the issue has already passed, but my go-to budget choice is Columbia River Arms (Black Hole Weaponry) when they are having a 30% off sale. All but one of their barrel profiles are allowed in MD, and they flat out shoot. Their standard profile in particular soaks up heat well and does not string. Personally I would not buy one of their batch barrels that go out to other websites. Wait for a sale and custom order one. QC seems much better for basically no difference in price.

Criterion is another fantastic choice. I have personally never run across a criterion barrel that did not shoot well. Only downside is that they are about $70-$100 more than the Columbia River barrels during the aforementioned 30% sale. If not they are basically the same price and I would go with the Criterion just because you 100% know it will shoot.

For rock bottom budget, I like Faxon and Roscoe manufacturing. Roscoe in particular has pleased me of late. What they make is dialed in well and QC seems better than Faxon's right now. Probably because they aren't all over the place like Faxon is these days. Admittedly my sample size is probably two dozen barrels over the past 18 months, which is pretty small.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom