• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    More red heads, buffle heads, and a nice Greater Scaup(greater blue bill)
    We only hunted the afternoon and had several large flocks of red heads come in. We also had several flocks of blue bills buzz us but not commit.

I also forgot to mention that on the Saturday hunt we had redheads and canvasbacks come right at us and when we shot one went right through the grass on the side of the blind and hit me in the lower chest, man it hurt and it still does a little.

Attachments

• 20190101_165215.jpg
      20190101_165215.jpg
      202.8 KB · Views: 170
    • scaup.jpg
      scaup.jpg
      108.6 KB · Views: 199

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Hunting the Outer Banks this morning with my wife’s nephew.

Limited out on scoter, redhead, 2 large mergansers, and bufflehead.

One more day of hunting tomorrow.

Awesome.

Do you trailer a boat down there for a week or happen to live around there? Been debating renting a house during the winter, or even buying a house as a rental and using it two weeks out of the year, one for fishing and one for hunting.

I've been wondering what the duck hunting is like down there, but with the number of duck blinds I have seen in the water and the size of the clubhouse on an island of one duck club down there, I imagine it must be phenomenal.

I am jealous.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    More red heads, buffle heads, and a nice Greater Scaup(greater blue bill)
    We only hunted the afternoon and had several large flocks of red heads come in. We also had several flocks of blue bills buzz us but not commit.

I also forgot to mention that on the Saturday hunt we had redheads and canvasbacks come right at us and when we shot one went right through the grass on the side of the blind and hit me in the lower chest, man it hurt and it still does a little.

Best waterfowling day I ever had was in Church Hill, Maryland. You live in the right place for this stuff.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Most ducks I have seen all year was in Florida. Good grief, tons of them by my in-laws in Clearwater in almost every water runoff pond and tons and tons of them at Disney World. The girls were dreaming of princesses and I was just working out leads on ducks flying by.

So, what do you guys see in this pic? Believe they are mergansers, but not sure about a couple in the bunch. They were right by Cinderella's castle when a show was going on. The show ended with a cannon blast and every single duck in this group dove under the water when that cannon went off.

Attachments

• MdShooters185.jpg
      MdShooters185.jpg
      70.7 KB · Views: 195

Derwood

Ultimate Member
    Jun 2, 2011
    DC area
    ^I think the ones on either side are red breasted mergansers. But the one at 6:00 looks different. I'm not sure what it is though because of the level of detail in the image. It looks like some sort of hen diving duck.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    ^I think the ones on either side are red breasted mergansers. But the one at 6:00 looks different. I'm not sure what it is though because of the level of detail in the image. It looks like some sort of hen diving duck.

Yeah, my guess was going to be a hen ruddy on those two middle ducks. Wish I could post a better pic, but I am limited in pic size here. Might see if I can pull out an enlargement of just that area from the RAW photo and then post that.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Most ducks I have seen all year was in Florida. Good grief, tons of them by my in-laws in Clearwater in almost every water runoff pond and tons and tons of them at Disney World. The girls were dreaming of princesses and I was just working out leads on ducks flying by.

So, what do you guys see in this pic? Believe they are mergansers, but not sure about a couple in the bunch. They were right by Cinderella's castle when a show was going on. The show ended with a cannon blast and every single duck in this group dove under the water when that cannon went off.

Pie balled grebes. Most common bird I've seen down there. Terrible to shoot at, and worse to eat.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Awesome.

Do you trailer a boat down there for a week or happen to live around there? Been debating renting a house during the winter, or even buying a house as a rental and using it two weeks out of the year, one for fishing and one for hunting.

I've been wondering what the duck hunting is like down there, but with the number of duck blinds I have seen in the water and the size of the clubhouse on an island of one duck club down there, I imagine it must be phenomenal.

I am jealous.

We hunt different guides 3-5 times a year in the Outerbanks. My understanding is that it is near impossible to get a blind, as most spots are spoken for. If you want to join a club, the good one can start at a half-mil.

This year is the best yet. If you are looking for a guide, Jamie Parker (Parker’s waterfowl) or Vic Burg (outerbanks waterfowl) are it.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Yesterdays hunt. only hunted midday, limited out on red heads, got an old squaw and a couple of blackheads. We put 2 bufflehead decoys out and must of had 50 buffle heads land with them. the other guys I was hunting with didn't want to shoot them so I shot a few until I got one I wanted to mount. After limiting out on red heads we had a half dozen flocks land in the decoys and couldn't shoot em. As we were packing up 4 or 5 large groups of blackheads flew right over us, thats how it goes I guess. Wish we had more shooters with us.

Attachments

• 1-12 hunt 2.jpg
      1-12 hunt 2.jpg
      208.5 KB · Views: 115
    • 1-12 hunt 1.jpg
      1-12 hunt 1.jpg
      75.3 KB · Views: 116
    • 1-12 hunt 3.jpg
      1-12 hunt 3.jpg
      77.3 KB · Views: 114
    • 1-12 hunt 4.jpg
      1-12 hunt 4.jpg
      96.8 KB · Views: 111

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    Ah, I see now.

There was someone videoing during our hunt today, it was of a guy trying to fight his way out of a survival suit.... took a while and some cursing.

EliteContent

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 3, 2013
    Yesterdays hunt. only hunted midday, limited out on red heads, got an old squaw and a couple of blackheads. We put 2 bufflehead decoys out and must of had 50 buffle heads land with them. the other guys I was hunting with didn't want to shoot them so I shot a few until I got one I wanted to mount. After limiting out on red heads we had a half dozen flocks land in the decoys and couldn't shoot em. As we were packing up 4 or 5 large groups of blackheads flew right over us, thats how it goes I guess. Wish we had more shooters with us.

If you are hunting tomorrow, and are looking for a hunting buddy, I am you man.

-ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom