• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I bought a pistol two weeks ago. I forgot my lock so they let me borrow one. I walked out to my car, dropped off my pistol, and then gave them back their lock. Saved me $25. That's how it should be done.

That said I've had some experiences where I was required to purchase a lock from the store. One time I don't think the lock was ever even mentioned, I just signed and walked out...

IF...the handgun is used and manufactured before 2003, an internal lock is not required. A cable lock is still supposed to be supplied and we will give you one if we have spares. The internal bore locks are more expensive, however, and we can't just hand them out for free. We could build them into our firearm prices, but then you would be comparing our price to someone who doesn't. Also, why sell one to someone who already has one or perhaps more.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    I bought a pistol two weeks ago. I forgot my lock so they let me borrow one. I walked out to my car, dropped off my pistol, and then gave them back their lock. Saved me $25. That's how it should be done.

That said I've had some experiences where I was required to purchase a lock from the store. One time I don't think the lock was ever even mentioned, I just signed and walked out...

...and naturally, two LGS told me they can't do that nor return a purchased lock never even opened.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013

see, i don't mind if an FFL won't do something like this, because i presume they have to cover their asses as well. now, if they won't let me bring one...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    IF...the handgun is used and manufactured before 2003, an internal lock is not required. A cable lock is still supposed to be supplied and we will give you one if we have spares. The internal bore locks are more expensive, however, and we can't just hand them out for free. We could build them into our firearm prices, but then you would be comparing our price to someone who doesn't. Also, why sell one to someone who already has one or perhaps more.

I always forget to bring my bore lock. I think I have 3 9mm ones somewhere. Maybe I should keep them in my car just in case. The .22 one I had to purchase was a little humiliating. They don't even make you install them, you just have to have one. It's pretty ridiculous.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    because the statute doesn't say it has to be installed. Just says their has to be one with the gun at time of sale.

splitting hairs but being literal can go both ways

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    I know this is old but, the gun I'm waiting on is a Smith & Wesson and comes with a red cable key lock. Is this not sufficient to meet this standard? the guy on the phone just told me that there were only two approved by the state one of them was $30 omega as approved locks. From the list I see in the links it says Smith & Wesson lock on that list and it sure is more than just two locks approved on that list. Can someone clarify this for me please?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Nope. No cable lock is approved for use with a firearm made after January 1, 2003

Approved list attached. These are the only ones approved by the Roster Board.

He is referring to the Omega lock, not the Mega lock. No such animal.

Attachments

• Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices.pdf
      20.7 KB · Views: 134

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Nope. No cable lock is approved for use with a firearm sold in MD

Approved list attached. These are the only ones approved by the Roster Board.

He is referring to the Omega lock, not the Mega lock. No such animal.
    That was a typo, so I don't understand why this lock doesn't meet the external definition. It stops the gun from firing and it's keyed.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    That was a typo, so I don't understand why this lock doesn't meet the external definition. It stops the gun from firing and it's keyed.

Because after January 1, 2003, it must be integrated and mechanical, not external. Read the statute. A cable lock is not considered "integrated". We don't make the stupid rules. We just try to follow them. You don't have to buy one from the dealer either, unless they force you to. The law says the gun cannot be sold or transferred unless the gun has a integrated lock.

Doesn't stipulate either the sale or even the installation, only that the gun has to have it.

Here's the statute SS 5-132

Attachments

• borelock statute-5-132.jpg
      borelock statute-5-132.jpg
      24.5 KB · Views: 161

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Because it's not considered "integra" to the firearm. We don't make the stupid rules. We just try to follow them. You don't have to buy one from the dealer either, unless they force you to. The law says the gun cannot be sold or transferred unless the gun has a lock with it.

Doesn't stipulate either the sale or even the installation, only that it has to be with the gun

here's the statute
    do you know of a cheapish one i can get on my own

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    There is a borelock exchange thread here of members who might lend you a lock to use until you get the firearm home.

Don't remember where it is located though

Search for it.

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    There is a borelock exchange thread here of members who might lend you a lock to use until you get the firearm home.

Don't remember where it is located though

Search for it.

posted in there days ago no replies

nuxbag

Dec 15, 2018
    Because after January 1, 2003, it must be integrated and mechanical, not external. Read the statute. A cable lock is not considered "integrated". We don't make the stupid rules. We just try to follow them. You don't have to buy one from the dealer either, unless they force you to. The law says the gun cannot be sold or transferred unless the gun has a integrated lock.

Doesn't stipulate either the sale or even the installation, only that the gun has to have it.

Here's the statute SS 5-132
    I guess I misunderstood that

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom