• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Got a new to me, 1962 vintage Ruger Standard pistol a few weeks ago. Just brought it to the range and it was a very accurate gun. Function was good until I had two instances of it going full auto for remainder of the clip. After the first occupance I broke it down and inspected. All looked good to me so did a quick wipe down and put back together. The second occurance occurred after 20 more rounds and agin went full auto and ended with a fire out of battery and case head separation.

After bringing it home I broke it down for a complete inspection and figured I’d see a worn firing pin or sear, or very dirty internals. Non of the above. It does have a non-original, later year magazine which I’m already in the process of replacing.

What should I look for before I decide to send it back to Ruger for service? Any suggestions?

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Send it back. Even if it does not have full auto parts in it, but it runs in full auto, you are in a world of hurt with the ATF. They won't take this kind of stuff well.

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    The original Mk I series autos are more reliable with the Mk II magazines. Simply move the side button of the MK II mag to the opposite side of the magazine.

Your malfunction has nothing to do with the magazine. Call Ruger, they will send you a call tag. Cost to you is fuel take it to an indicated shipper.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Ruger says $85 to service. I know it’s money well spent, but surprised they are charging a fee. It will be in the mail after the holidays.

$110 for service, recondition, and reblue, btw. The pistol is in excellent shape so don’t need that, but that’s very little extra to reblue.

Hlou650

Oct 10, 2016
    Check that the firing pin is not stuck in the forward position. Sometimes older guns have caked in oil/grease that keeps the firing pin from retracting after the hammer drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom