Votes: 81 28.9%
    • Somebody else (who?)

Votes: 14 5.0%

• Total voters

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    first gun i ever shot was at a friends dads class 3 extravaganza on his WV property. full auto mp5 was my first ever. i was 15 or 16. as far as actual teaching, my best buddy was a fantastic shot and we got out early senior year everyday. at least 2x a week we were at Seitzland shooting high powered rifles while other kids were taking tests. thats the beauty of overloading your schedule in 11th grade! easy senior year. after said friend went into, and got out of army, (11 bravo in 1st Cav) he taught me all the stuff he learned. however thats no substitute for real military training! but still GREAT fun.

lilgibby

"man gotta have a code."
    Sep 17, 2011
    Elkton
    my old man. may he r.i.p. but wadda ya expect when your dads a vietnam vet ? ha wasnt the only thing i learned from the old codger.

mbz300sdl

Gone living free now!!!
    Apr 12, 2010
    South Carolina
    My dad, well at least he put the guns in my hands and said aim and shoot pointing at an old tree stump I was six and it was a FA UZI. Later then came .22 revolver, we shot rather often or a 10/22 or 77/22 or his GP-100 or 686. If I remember correctly the first center fire rifle I shot was his semi-auto "Tommygun".

MRA

Dec 10, 2010
    Damascus
    Started off with family teaching me. The I went to college where Dr. Ed Etzel (Olympic Gold Medalist) taught me to really shoot. Thanks Ed!

Jack Ryan

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2011
    People’s Republic of Maryland
    I went to a school that had a rifle range in the basement of one of the buildings. They had a rifle club, I was interested, and joined. My Physics teacher was the coach/instructor, he taught us how to shoot military surplus bolt action .22lrs with Peep scopes.

It was alot of fun, and planted the seed.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My dad. First with a BB gun, then with .22's. He wasn't a big shooter, but since I was interested, he went out of his way to make sure I learned safety and got to shoot. Thanks, Dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

futureseabee

CTT not seabee anymore
    Aug 18, 2008
    Va Beach
    my dad with the bb gun, boy scouts with the .22 and 12 ga. killing clays. cousin with the SKS, AK, K98, 30-30 and 10/22

ffemtreed

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2011
    Wilmington, NC
    I learned how to shoot pistols because a lot of my friends in HS were into EMS/Firefighting (as was I). A lot of them went on to become cops, so we spend some fun days shooting at the police ranges. I also volunteered on the TEMS team for the local police agency's so I got to handle some weapons there as well.

B1web

Cogito Ergo Sum! (cogito)
    Jan 11, 2008
    First Dad
    Then Boy Scouts
    Then my Uncle Sam
    Then Practice, Practice, Practice
    (I'm still learning)

mjacksonii

Jun 9, 2011
    Baltimore
    My brother and I both wanted to learn how to shoot, so we read up, researched and have been learning pistols on our own. six months and counting, still feel there is much to learn :) :gun2:

looking forward to learning rifles soon

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    I overheard a coworker was selling a Ruger 10/22 rifle about 8 years ago and decided (for no apparent reason) to speak up and take it off of his hands. Went to the range one time and got hooked. Bought a pistol the week after that.

No one ever taught me how to shoot. My coworker ran me through a quick break down of the 10/22 and Chuck Heston ran me through the ten commandments of shooting. Between those two things, it's kind of intuitive IMO. Since then, I've seen a few videos on how to improve but for the most part, I think it comes naturally to guys. *shrugs*

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    them good old western movies thought me how to shoot.. LOL

disclaimer.. i dont shoot that way. i thought myself.

Glaug-Eldare

BANNED!!!
    Jan 17, 2011
    I guess I oughta reply by now -- I voted "Civilian Instructor" because my first firearms experience was out in Hagerstown with that Hal Noer fella. Bonus: The training rifles happened to include the very model of Savage .22 I was already interested in buying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom