• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    The Chinese Dragunov is listed banned by name.
    But it doesn't say anything about the Russian made
    Woukd that mean it is legeal?

What about the psl? People call it a Romania dragunov, when in fact it isn't even close to a dragunov.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    In truth and fact there is no "Chinese Dragunov"; only the Russian SVD is a Dragunov - and the NDM is the copy, not the SVD, but I'm sure you would not get far in court with the semantic argument.

A few MD FFL's are selling and transferring the Romanian PSL. Not a copy of the SVD/NDM nor more than a single interchangeable part with AK action (only the single hook type trigger).

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    As Mark said the PSL is still OK since it's neither an AK nor an SVD given parts compatibility (the definition of a "copy").

But it's far more like an AK on steroids than the Russian SVD/Tigr or Chinese NDM.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    AIM surplus once sold this for $529.95

That's was a crazy price for now. What's the current price now?

For all you lucky PsL owners here, do you feed them with Mosin food?

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      53.9 KB · Views: 1,249

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    They seam to run from $1500 on low side to over $2500 on the high side.

Right now I am working on buildings a vepr to look similar to a psl. I have about $1500 in it. I feel the vepr is better rifle then the psl due to thicker receiver and heavy barrel. The biggest problem with the vepr is the single stack 5 round magazine and the 10 round magazine is way long. I went with the 20.5" barrel as a compromise between speed and mobility.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Once I was going with the same idea of upgrading the Vepr into a Psl like rifle (the longer version) but I was question myself if that's legal or not since changes its sport rifle settings. That was couple years ago I believe Duffy had the PSL for around $1300 if I remeber correctly.

If would great if you can post some pictures!

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    Changing it from "sporting" configuration isn't that big a deal if you are talking about 922r.

You can change the trigger group out very easy for an American made set. But a American made 10 round magazine and an American made muzzle device. That is 7 parts right there. Change the stock. Grip and forend and that bumps it to 10 parts way more then needed to make 922r complaint.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    I just saw that md just added the veper hunter in 30/06 and 6.62x54r to the NOT banned list looks like they whete added 11/18/16

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    I just saw that md just added the veper hunter in 30/06 and 6.62x54r to the NOT banned list looks like they whete added 11/18/16

Here's the thing you have to remember about that website:

It is NOT legally binding, and MSP themselves have said, in writing, that they are just trying to be "helpful" by offering that list. It literally means nothing.

The only things that are legally binding with respect to rifles in Maryland are the list of banned rifles, and the text of SB281

Basically:
    If it's on that list by name, it is banned.
    If it is a copy (defined as having totally interchangeable internal parts) of something on that list, it is banned.
    If it is a centerfire, semiautomatic rifle capable of accepting detachable magazines, it is banned if:
    1) OAL is less than 29"
    2) It has more than one of a) a flash hider, b) a grenade launcher, c) a folding (not collapsible) stock.

Those are the ONLY tests that have any legal weight as to what is banned and what is not (as far as "assault rifles" go, anyhow). The list on the MSP webpage is wrong in many instances and is a bunch of junk.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    But the Russian svd is a copy of the banned Chinese one. (I know the Chinese copied the Russians) so it too is banned in md, correct?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    But the Russian svd is a copy of the banned Chinese one. (I know the Chinese copied the Russians) so it too is banned in md, correct?

Nobody knows for certain until it is disputed in court; no one is willing to take a chance on it. What you would loose is much greater than what you might gain.

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    As much as I woukd love a true svd I will look at a custom vepr. Can be made to look very much like a svd but with heavier barrel

rickyp

Ultimate Member
    Sep 13, 2009
    That is the exact website I was talking about in my post above.

It is full of incorrect and outright purposefully wrong information.

Do NOT go by that website. Go by the LAW.

The problem is a lot of gun stores go by it. I asked Fred's about a special order rifle.they pulled this list up on the computer.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    The problem is a lot of gun stores go by it. I asked Fred's about a special order rifle.they pulled this list up on the computer.

I know.

And you know the awesome thing?

MSP said, in writing as part of a lawsuit, that if there is any question as to the legality of a rifle here, you should NOT go by their list, but ask your dealer instead.

:mad54:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom