• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Havent run into this particular situation personally, but since our group at work is visiting The Machine Gun Nest out here in Fredneck next week for a "team building activity", my boss asked me to get clarification on a legal matter.

He's a PA resident, owns an AK, and would like to bring it with him to the range next week.

Legal (assuming range is OK with it), or leave it at home?

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Also to add, based on other thread specific info, he owned the AK well before FSA 2013 went into effect. If there are any more clarifiers needed, I can ask him for the info.

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Also to add, based on other thread specific info, he owned the AK well before FSA 2013 went into effect. If there are any more clarifiers needed, I can ask him for the info.

If it was owned by him prior to oct 1 2013 than it is legal for him to transport and possess according to the wording of the law.

Make sure he follows md firearm transport laws to the letter. Unloaded, in a case, and goes only from home to the range.

Rab1515

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 29, 2014
    Calvert
    If it was owned by him prior to oct 1 2013 than it is legal for him to transport and possess according to the wording of the law.

Make sure he follows md firearm transport laws to the letter. Unloaded, in a case, and goes only from home to the range.

I believe the only too and from the range requirement only applies if you are transporting handguns.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I believe the only too and from the range requirement only applies if you are transporting handguns.

MD transport law only applies to handguns, not long guns.

unloaded is all that's required.

But when he bought it, it was regulated and treated like a handgun, right? If this was 2012, then the transport laws would apply, wouldn't they?...but not anymore?

Not arguing, just trying to figure it out for transporting my own.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    nope, long guns even when they were regulated were not covered by the statute 4-203.

Handguns and SBR's only.

I did not know that, thank you. So, from a transportation point of view, a legally owned M1A, is still treated as any other long gun, despite it being a banned "assault weapon?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom