• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maryland DINO movement

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Mr H

Banana'd
    All I'll say on this is that there is tremendous upside in the primaries, but only if it's done in significant numbers and with fervor.

2014 made noise, exposed weaknesses and scared the incumbency. No, there were not SIGNIFICANT changes... but there were changes.

The problem we have, IMO, is that folks are so frustrated that they want huge shifts right away. Won't happen. But, every little victory is still a victory, how ever it happens.

I'm normally "Unaffiliated", but will be changing back to D at some point for just this reason (shoot... I've been accused of starting the DiNO movement, but it's not true).

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    All I'll say on this is that there is tremendous upside in the primaries, but only if it's done in significant numbers and with fervor.

2014 made noise, exposed weaknesses and scared the incumbency. No, there were not SIGNIFICANT changes... but there were changes.

The problem we have, IMO, is that folks are so frustrated that they want huge shifts right away. Won't happen. But, every little victory is still a victory, how ever it happens.

I'm normally "Unaffiliated", but will be changing back to D at some point for just this reason (shoot... I've been accused of starting the DiNO movement, but it's not true).

Well said, and 100% true.

I absolutely didn't start this DINO thing, you and a few others thoroughly convinced me that it was our best (political) chance. I was practically begged by a couple folks to stay involved and believe in it for 2018. I reluctantly (at first) decided to start this thread and keep the fire going for you and the thousands of us in Maryland that want and can make an impact.

Like you said, it will only work if we can get enough people (from all parties) to stand up and say enough is enough, and vote out these career politicians in the Democrat Primary.

Until the end of the 2018 Primary election, I promise to do what little I can to help spread the word. If we can't knock at least one of these incumbent bozo's out in the Primary; I think I might be done.

Although a few have now schooled me on the importance and validity of the DiNO strategy, in my mind you will always get credit for being the most influential (if not the originator) of the DiNO movement. Please take the lead on this, I'm a political amateur. I've been so inspired by these elections, and incredible sacrifice of so many - you, R&R, aray, EL, Stoveman, MSI and countless others, especially those that actually ran for office, win-or-lose, never giving up.

Last edited:

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    MM thanks for keeping the fire burning. I pledge to change party affiliation for the 2018 election and I am slowly trying to convince some close friends to do the same.

Some are totally reluctant and really do not understand how they can make a difference, or feel that somehow switching parties will damage their credibility with friends and family. I figure I've got a a year to get the idea to sink in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    Isn't a real problem with primaries the dearth of competitive candidates to choose from? We need more people to step up.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Isn't a real problem with primaries the dearth of competitive candidates to choose from? We need more people to step up.

I'd say the real problem with primaries is the fact that the districts have been so artfully gerrymandered that they've effectively denied representation to a good number of MD citizens.

The Republicans have one representative in Congress, out of eight Congressional districts. There are 4,060,282 registered voters in MD; 2,203,780 of them are Democrats, 1,032,762 are Republicans, leaving 823740 with some other affiliation, or none. So outside of Democrats, there exists 1,856,502 other voters.

So 54% of the voters - the registered Democrats - control 7 of the 8 Congressional districts after the recent election, or some 87% of our spokesmen in Washington.

The problem isn't dearth of candidates, it's the Fixers in Annapolis, who set up this system.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I'd say the real problem with primaries is the fact that the districts have been so artfully gerrymandered that they've effectively denied representation to a good number of MD citizens.

The Republicans have one representative in Congress, out of eight Congressional districts. There are 4,060,282 registered voters in MD; 2,203,780 of them are Democrats, 1,032,762 are Republicans, leaving 823740 with some other affiliation, or none. So outside of Democrats, there exists 1,856,502 other voters.

So 54% of the voters - the registered Democrats - control 7 of the 8 Congressional districts after the recent election, or some 87% of our spokesmen in Washington.

The problem isn't dearth of candidates, it's the Fixers in Annapolis, who set up this system.

A couple of questions along this line:

When does redistricting come into play?
    How will it effect the mix?

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    A couple of questions along this line:

When does redistricting come into play?
    How will it effect the mix?

2022, and no clue until we see what happens with the 2018 election for Governor.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Two years until the MD elections.

If there's going to be any hope of addressing the gerrymandering, Hogan or another Republican will have to win that election.

If there's to be any hope of influencing the MD General Assembly, it's critical that current Dem incumbents are undermined to the degree possible; this brings in new blood, and sends a message that change is in the air. These folks have been marching though Annapolis in lockstep for way too long.

One way, and possibly the most effective, is through the DINO movement. Consider becoming a Democrat for the primaries, the only election that matters in MD. Consider looking to the current crop of officeholders, and working to support their opponents in those primaries.

Wouldn't it make you feel good to make Messrs Busch and Miller feel bad? Or even put them out to pasture? You know it would.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Today was the first day that I was able to change back to Republican.. I don't feel dirty any more.

Boy, do I know how you feel. I switched from being a DINO back to Republican in revulsion over the email whitewash.

Now it's time to re-register as a Democrat, to more effectively lobby the GA in January.

It's a filthy job, but someone has to do it, if any progress is to be made in MD.

Mr H

Banana'd
    Boy, do I know how you feel. I switched from being a DINO back to Republican in revulsion over the email whitewash.

Now it's time to re-register as a Democrat, to more effectively lobby the GA in January.

It's a filthy job, but someone has to do it, if any progress is to be made in MD.

Agreed!!

All this keening and hand-wringing over Trump (who can't do ANYTHING yet!!) gets our focus off the true next step... hold back the barbarians in the GA. I believe they WILL be coming.

Schipperke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    dino_on_back.jpg

Hate Work

Nov 29, 2016
    CentralMD.
    Today was the first day that I was able to change back to Republican.. I don't feel dirty any more.

Coming from someone who has grown up here, I doubt much will change as long as more and more Government workers are employed in this area and more and more people are receiving assistance from Government. When a party's stance is one of smaller Government, it makes it tough to appeal to members of other parties that tell you "i'll give you free stuff".
    Although there is little difference between the parties except for how they lie to you, I do agree that there needs to be a balance of both parties to keep the other side honest..... if that is even possible.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Coming from someone who has grown up here, I doubt much will change as long as more and more Government workers are employed in this area and more and more people are receiving assistance from Government. When a party's stance is one of smaller Government, it makes it tough to appeal to members of other parties that tell you "i'll give you free stuff".
    Although there is little difference between the parties except for how they lie to you, I do agree that there needs to be a balance of both parties to keep the other side honest..... if that is even possible.

Welcome to mdshooters.

It's VERY important as you, (YOU), write and speak to your "rulers" during anytime, but mostly during the 90 days session to be seen as "one of them". Since you have grown up here how have your letters been receive in years past when you get identified as from another Party?

I have slanted the paragraph above to assume you have previously been in the fight for your Rights. Yes, it was sneaky of me, but when I assume you have joined us, I hope it hasn't only made an ass out of me.

I was a little hard on you for your fist post and I apologize for that. Seriously, welcome to mdshooters and if you are not a member, please join MSI. See my signature below.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

The road to a balanced representation lies in diminishing the gerrymander, and the key to that is a Republican governor in the next election.

It took years, even decades, to turn MD into a virtual one-party dictatorship. The process can be reversed, but not overnight. I believe it can be reversed in my lifetime, which I estimate to be another 10-15 years.

If Mr Trump succeeds in regenerating growth in the overall economy, and Mr Hogan is able to effect positive changes despite the Dem super-majority in the GA, this could all work out by 2020. That's four years, with fast-tracking.

Anyone out there have the grit to fight for four years?

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    The gerrymandering issue is being pushed by Judicial Watch to the SCOTUS. There's a thread in the Water Cooler about it: https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=202058

The whole issue is so thoroughly rotten that it would be unbelievable, except in MD.

Could have changed since last I checked but PG county was second only to DC with % support for HRC. Any part of PG sliced into a dist makes it a win for DP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom