• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    My father says he had only shot a firearm once before in his life which he recalled to be a revolver of some kind, and only took 1 shot in the woods.

Myself, my son, and father all made it to the range together for the first time, all 3 of us (usually one of them or both can't make it).
    Shooting a Glock 19 and Browning BPS 12G were also first time experiences for him that day.

After blasting his 2nd clay bird, my dad said he "get's it" now and asked when we were coming back and we all laughed :D

I spoke to him on the phone earlier this evening and is the talking about shopping for a 22 rifle for himself :cool:

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    My father says he had only shot a firearm once before in his life which he recalled to be a revolver of some kind, and only took 1 shot in the woods.

Myself, my son, and father all made it to the range together for the first time, all 3 of us (usually one of them or both can't make it).
    Shooting a Glock 19 and Browning BPS 12G were also first time experiences for him that day.

After blasting his 2nd clay bird, my dad said he "get's it" now and asked when we were coming back and we all laughed :D

I spoke to him on the phone earlier this evening and is the talking about shopping for a 22 rifle for himself :cool:

Three generations sharing good times and a great activity.

Freedom and Family....what it's all about! :thumbsup:

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Glad to see you are able to share a great time with your Dad and son. This is lost in today's culture. I hope you 3 have many a happy outing to come.

Congrats!

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...

I am EXTREMELY jealous!! I am the senior member of the family. Unfortunately, somehow, my 2 sons are libs and won't allow their sons ( my grandsons) anywhere near GUNS.

But, good for you. Sounds like you had a great time. Good memories.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    Very nice. I remeber I took my dad to the range for the first time. He only fired a few shots because he said the ammos were expensive lol (we were very poor back then). I am planning on take him again before his birthday and mine :)

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Brought my Dad to the range about two years ago. He'd never handled firearms before. The first time it was a .22 pistol, the second time a 5.56 rifle. He didn't hit anything but he had a blast.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    I am EXTREMELY jealous!! I am the senior member of the family. Unfortunately, somehow, my 2 sons are libs and won't allow their sons ( my grandsons) anywhere near GUNS.

For me I would make it a point to leave out some shot up targets when the grandkids are around. And in front of their dads I would say, "Look, I respect your position even though I don't agree with it. I'd certainly like to explore our different perspectives so I can better understand why you feel the way you do. I'll just say that at some point your kids will have to decide for themselves how they feel. If, at that point, they want to explore the science, physics and ethics of owning or handling firearms I'd much prefer that they learn from a family member than from some ill-trained friend."

The important thing is not to win over your sons; that's not likely. The important thing is to display openness to your grandchilden relative to exploring areas of difference and agreement (an important life skill in its own right), and to communicate to your grandchildren that you are open to their overtures for information and training. That's the long game.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013

But, good for you. Sounds like you had a great time. Good memories.
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

You would probably find it interesting that for me it has been the opposite. I was raised by ex hippies in a household where firearms didn't exist. We have always been fisherman sure, but hunting or recreational shooting was never part of my upbringing.

Once I was old enough to learn politics for myself I went my own direction and am glad to see both my parents have changed their views and both voted trump and are in full support of 2A!! My mom even got herself a new pistol

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    yeppers

awesome.

MIj6o.gif

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Take Dad to a range that rents full auto and buy enough ammo to rock and roll. he will enjoy it a lot more than the tie or sweater you were planning to buy. And let him have the target to take home and he will make all his older friends jealous.

AJRB

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2013
    How long until the grandkids turn 18 ?

My son just turned 19 this past October. Hopefully I have another 10 years or so for granddad, and my dad, great grand dad status lol

Take Dad to a range that rents full auto and buy enough ammo to rock and roll. he will enjoy it a lot more than the tie or sweater you were planning to buy. And let him have the target to take home and he will make all his older friends jealous.

That's not a bad idea Trop has some full auto toys right up the road. I would have to feel him out about it. He has some serious back issues so a bench rest situation may be better for him. He may be all for it though, I was surprised he wanted to try shooting a 12g but he did great with it.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My son just turned 19 this past October. Hopefully I have another 10 years or so for granddad, and my dad, great grand dad status lol

That's not a bad idea Trop has some full auto toys right up the road. I would have to feel him out about it. He has some serious back issues so a bench rest situation may be better for him. He may be all for it though, I was surprised he wanted to try shooting a 12g but he did great with it.

Recoil with one in a pistol caliber is not bad. My grandson handled it just fine and will remember that day long after I am gone.

siggirl1911

Dec 6, 2016
    Baltimore co.
    Thats awesome! A few months ago my dad myself and my hubby all went to the range and it was seriously the best experience ever. We all enjoy shooting and to have that time with the two most important men in my life was something il always remember.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom