• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ecuguru

Jan 17, 2011
    A friend of mine has a wall safe like this:
    http://www.amazon.com/Stack-On-IWC-55-Full-Length-In-Wall-Cabinet/dp/B002TOKR6W

And he was thinking about putting it in his garage. I think he's ok, but he thinks the few guns he'll put in (shotgun/ar/glock) will rot away somehow over a few years.

I'm not in that camp, I think some of those dehydration packets would go a long way, and that guns survive warm and cold.

Anyone store their guns in something like this and can confirm/deny issues? Guns work in all temperatures, so I'm personally thinking any issue would be the humidity..

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Anywhere in Md climate that is not year round climate controlled will have to deal w/ humidity issues.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    I would say no, your guns will rust from the constant humidity
    I would not take the chance

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    I don't see why not but your friend WILL have to do something about the humidity. I use this stuff which is relatively cheap AND readily available. It's the same stuff that's in those little dessicant packs that are packed with everything. Just make sure it's the crystal stuff made of silica.
    800443136713C.jpg

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    If you:
    1) bolt it down
    2) run a powered dehumidifer in the safe at all times

... I think it'll be alright. Otherwise, don't do it.

GUNMANSUPERSTAR

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 10, 2012
    If the garage is block the guns will draw moisture and rust. If it is wood frame with good insulation I don't think it would be an issue!!

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    One of my safes is in my non-climate controlled block-wall garage. I live waterfront and have never had a problem with my firearms or any of my tools showing any signs of rust. YMMV.

Half-cocked

Senior Meatbag
    Mar 14, 2006
    If the safe is reasonably airtight and you run a dessicant/heater rod, it should provide reasonable protection for the stuff inside. Hopefully the safe's mechanicals are reasonably rust-resistant, too.

I have had bikes, tools, power equipment, etc. rust in just weeks, in my garage, during humid spells. For that reason, and the obvious security issues, I would personally never store firearms in a garage, safe or no safe.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    not speaking of the humidity issue. I like those in wall lockers. They are small but would be handy and space saving . You could have several. One for handguns , one for ammo. Long guns however ? I'd need a few. They are not a safe ,,but they are concealable.
    But as to the rust issue..... OH yes.... unless they are in a climate controlled area you would need something to stop the rust.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I had to put mine in the garage as well. I also use the Damprid product. I have two 1qt cups of it, one on the top shelf and one on the safe floor. I check them once or twice a month at a minimum, and top them off with the refill bag about every 3 months. I clean and lube my guns as normal, I use a mix of clp, rem oil, and wheel bearing grease. No issues with rust at all.

Don't put the safe right on the cement floor, moisture will wick up and rust the safe, use the cheapest peel and stick laminate tiles you can get at home depot or lowes as an insulating layer.

gasman

Oct 8, 2007
    Baltimore City
    One other consideration besides humidity is that most people store tools in their garage. In fact, most of the tools used to easily breach a gun storage locker are easily found in most garages.

MauiWowie

I have the SIGness...
    Nov 23, 2008
    Harford Co.
    Have you seen how easy it is to get into a garage?
    YouTube break into garage. It takes less than a minute.
    I wouldn't do it but then again I keep a $50k truck in mine so who am I to talk

gmhowell

Not Banned Yet
    Nov 28, 2011
    Monkey County
    One other consideration besides humidity is that most people store tools in their garage. In fact, most of the tools used to easily breach a gun storage locker are easily found in most garages.

Excellent observation. Hadn't thought of all of the prybars, grinders, welders, oxy torches, etc. in there.

rico903

Ultimate Member
    May 2, 2011
    I've kept guns in my garage for years with no problems. Well lubed and kept in Gunsocks or Sackups. They work!

kalister1

R.I.P.
    May 16, 2008
    Pasadena Maryland
    Have you seen how easy it is to get into a garage?
    YouTube break into garage. It takes less than a minute.
    I wouldn't do it but then again I keep a $50k truck in mine so who am I to talk

And somehow breaking into a house is harder? Everybody has steel doors, but still have glass windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom