• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    My agency gave me the approval to grab an armorer's certification on whatever I choose. Anyone out there have a suggestion on a factory armorer's certification class that they took and found beneficial. I'm not talking the "yay I got a piece of paper" type of training but rather a course with some useful information that I can utilize. Thanks for any help the MDS community can supply!

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    20 years ago the Army sent me to the Barrett armorers course and I got to rebuild the two M82A1s we had in our arms room. It was a great course since I was the only student in that particular class. I was surprised at how much maintenance was conducted with a dead blow hammer on those rifles. It was also amazing to see Mr. Barrett's personal arms room.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    Glock course I took was a one day thing. Get something better if it’s someone else’s dime.
    Beretta was a week long course and much more in depth. Mostly covered the M9.
    I’ve heard the Sig course covered handguns and rifles. Actually two separate courses run consecutively. I never got to go.
    If it was me I would ask a subject matter expert like Chad.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Does the class carry a factory cert with them? I think they want something from Colt, FN, Sig, etc. Bosses like the paper, I like the knowledge gained. The SOTAR might be one I do on my own at some point.

Get a Cert in what you guys carry but more specifically in the long gun. I apologize I’m offering opinion and not actually answering your question i just think it’s a benefit to you while making you more valuable to your agency.

I’m kinda in the same boat. Got authorization to attend ANY class at ANY location to help further the agency goal.

Ask Kenney Gibbs if you see him around. That guy is a wealth of gun knowledge and took a ton of courses to get over there!

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Does the class carry a factory cert with them? I think they want something from Colt, FN, Sig, etc. Bosses like the paper, I like the knowledge gained. The SOTAR might be one I do on my own at some point.

I do not offer any Certifications, just information. I won't do it even at the request of L.E. Agencies. If I was going to certify someone, they would have to pass a serious gauntlet of tests and honestly not many would pass. No point in offering classes to fail people, so I just teach them all I can and let them do what they want with that knowledge.

IMO, there is no Armorers Course that will turn someone into a skilled Armorer with a course alone. Good Armorers Courses are supposed to be solid foundation to become an Armorer or Master of a particular weapon. To actually be an Armorer, one needs lots of hands on experience and a 1-5 day course won't likely do that.

To be fair, I only teach AR's, and this topic applies to more than the AR.

I have trained all walks of people. Military Small Arms Repairers, Federal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Armorers, and Private Citizen's who were Factory Certified by Colt, Sig, and other Armorer Schools.

Some schools will gravitate towards certain manufacturers (Factory Certifications) as well, which grossly limits the learning experience for the Student.

I have been repeatedly told that my courses put other courses to shame. I tell people to learn as much as they can, but always be cautious of the material. Just because someone is teaching does not mean they are teaching solid material.

Last edited:

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    I do not offer any Certifications, just information. I won't do it even at the request of L.E. Agencies. If I was going to certify someone, they would have to pass a serious gauntlet of tests and honestly not many would pass. No point in offering classes to fail people, so I just teach them all I can and let them do what they want with that knowledge.

IMO, there is no Armorers Course that will turn someone into a skilled Armorer with a course alone. Good Armorers Courses are supposed to be solid foundation to become an Armorer or Master of a particular weapon. To actually be an Armorer, one needs lots of hands on experience and a 1-5 day course won't likely do that.

To be fair, I only teach AR's, and this topic applies to more than the AR.

I have trained all walks of people. Military Small Arms Repairers, Feferal, State, and Local Law Enforcement Armorers, and Private Citizen's who were Factory Certified by Colt, Sig, and other Armorer Schools.

Some schools will gravitate towards certain manufacturers (Factory Certifications) as well which grossly limits the learning experience for the Student.

I have been repeatedly told that my courses put other courses to shame. I tell people to learn as much as they can, but always be cautious of the material. Just because someone is teaching does not mean they are teaching solid material.

At some point you may wish to consider offering certs. Also your statement is the mark of a excellent teacher.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    At some point you may wish to consider offering certs. Also your statement is the mark of a excellent teacher.

Nothing against Chad but if he does it would have to be away from MDS as in he should not advertise. Too much drama would ensue. Creating a curriculum that would be recognized by the industry and such is expensive and very time consuming. What chad does now is like target shooting where things he teaches is based on his preference and not 100% industry standard. Going industry certs he has to teach everything even things he may not like.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I haven't taken any of Chad's classes but have spoken to one who has. All instructors teach from a preference. The content, procedures and standards taught and utilized are the bench mark of a program. One instructor may teach more from "theory and here's how the theory is applied". Another may instruct from basic theory and more hands on learning approach. It still comes down to content, procedure and standards.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I haven't taken any of Chad's classes but have spoken to one who has. All instructors teach from a preference. The content, procedures and standards taught and utilized are the bench mark of a program. One instructor may teach more from "theory and here's how the theory is applied". Another may instruct from basic theory and more hands on learning approach. It still comes down to content, procedure and standards.

You don't have to mention the student, but I'm interested to see if the student you spoke to felt the Course was lacking.

If so I would like to know so I can make changes.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'm not Magnumite , nor the student . But the way I read it , he was pointing out that different ( activities imparting skills and knowledge ) have different parameters and goals .

A system centered around " Certifications " has extreme emphasis upon documentation , and exact consistency in both material presented, and quantifiable testing standards .

Even if isn't imparting the maximum knowledge to a particular student , it's more important that each graduate/ Certificate- recipient have exactly the same knowledge and skills .

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm not Magnumite , nor the student . But the way I read it , he was pointing out that different ( activities imparting skills and knowledge ) have different parameters and goals .

A system centered around " Certifications " has extreme emphasis upon documentation , and exact consistency in both material presented, and quantifiable testing standards .

Even if isn't imparting the maximum knowledge to a particular student , it's more important that each graduate/ Certificate- recipient have exactly the same knowledge and skills .

I know you are not accusing otherwise, but I am very consistent with my instruction and materials.

The ability for the student to absorb my information really depends on the student in my world. I teach with several methods so I can help students grasp the material. Not everyone retains or exercises with the material (puts it to the same use).

I make myself available to my students after a course to ensure they get the best experience possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom