• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYuuFSxcDTs&t=1202s

This video MAC points out that piston rifles create much more recoil vs impingement rifles.

Is this why my LWRC piston rifle moves much more than those I'm at the range with? I assumed it was my poor technique but this video is pretty compelling.

Last edited:

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYuuFSxcDTs&t=1202s

This video MAC points out that piston rifles create much more recoil vs impingement rifles.

Is this why my LWRC piston rifle moves much more than those I'm at the range with? I assumed it was my poor technique but this video is pretty compelling.

Could be, you have more mass and less gas escaping. On piston the full gas charge pushes the piston and bolt carrier rearward until so all the gasses are on the piston face for full travel. In the DI the gasses will start to "dissapate" faster because the gas goes down t he tube unobstructed to the carrier and some of those gases start to bleed of as the BCG separates from the gas tube and some of the gases also move through the BCG and vent.

I am sure Chad will come along and explain the difference more clearly.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    External Gas Piston AR's have little to no delay in unlocking. When the Gas Manfold pressurizes it starts to unlock the BCG.

The D.I (Internal Piston) has a delay as the gas block, gas tube, gas key, and piston area in the carrier pressurize. This delay is less violent.

External Gas Piston AR's do nothing better than a Internal Gas Piston AR unless you use the weapon IN the water.

Last edited:

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfySqREbz6k

I don't know. Seems pretty clear the piston gun is better for a Zombie Apocalypse. :)

Pretty sure whoever speaks to me last will convince me their belief is best. It all sounds compelling.

You bought the sales pitch.

Check and see what Larry shoots in his classes and what almost every gun trainer shoots too. I'll give you a hint, it isnt an external piston AR.

Buy what you want. There is no standard for external piston ARs, everyone does it differently. Let's hope whatever brand you chooose stays in production. The truth is Piston AR break bolts more frequently than D.I.

Read about battlefield Vegas and their piston AR's.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You bought the sales pitch.

Check and see what Larry shoots in his classes and what almost every gun trainer shoots too. I'll give you a hint, it isnt an external piston AR.

Buy what you want. There is no standard for external piston ARs, everyone does it differently. Let's hope whatever brand you chooose stays in production. The truth is Piston AR break bolts more frequently than D.I.

Read about battlefield Vegas and their piston AR's.

But...but...the Marines picked the M27! That’s a piston AR !

:lol:

Still trying to figure out why they picked it. Some general with a job waiting for him at H&K seems most likely.

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD

Still trying to figure out why they picked it. Some general with a job waiting for him at H&K seems most likely.

Don’t the SEALs, who choose their own weapons, also run a piston gun? I may be wrong.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Clandestine speaks the truth and one would be wise to listen to him.[/url]

Definitely would be wise to listen to him.

I thought it was obvious I was being a little lighthearted. Pretty sure, at the end of the day I'm going to own one of each. The real question is do I have time, patience, and smarts to build one. If you saw my thread on cutting off an optic mount then you'll know patience and smarts might be in question. :)

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Don’t the SEALs, who choose their own weapons, also run a piston gun? I may be wrong.

They do use them, but it's justified considering the work from the water. The 416 can fire without letting water drain from it fully.

There are downsides to it, but for warfighters like the SEALS, it's a reasonable compromise.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Definitely would be wise to listen to him.

I thought it was obvious I was being a little lighthearted. Pretty sure, at the end of the day I'm going to own one of each. The real question is do I have time, patience, and smarts to build one. If you saw my thread on cutting off an optic mount then you'll know patience and smarts might be in question. :)

If you go down this rabbit hole consider saving for an HK. Even if parts become an issue, they will ALWAYS be collectible and retain or exceed their purchase value.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    they will ALWAYS be collectible and retain or exceed their purchase value.

Is that because the military uses them?

Knowing how govt. awards contracts I never put much value into that but I guess people think that is important.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is that because the military uses them?

Knowing how govt. awards contracts I never put much value into that but I guess people think that is important.

Perhaps, but most HK fans are just willing to work out high amounts for HK stuff.

Same for Colt AR's, they hold value well.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008

Good general rundown on one of the better systems and pros/cons of pistons.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    There was a good reason I got out of my piston/op-rod upper around 3800 rounds.

To name a few of the reasons: front heavy, proprietary parts, increased recoil impulse, harder on bolts, and the infamous incompatibility with one brand of ammo (it'd just rip the rim off the brass, leaving me to rod out the empty casing from the chamber).

To each their own, some people just have to learn for themselves - if you're going to do it, buy something that'll hold it's value. That way, if you decide to get out of it, you hopefully don't take a bath on it like I did.

Tod

MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2013
    Eastern Shore
    I have been and still think about this DI vs Piston. I own a Sig 556 and it eats everything uses AR mags so it skewed my thinking. So much so I went out and bought a LWRC M6A2 upper and have have been happy with it. I still think about the upper not being mil spec and have contemplated getting a DI upper.

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    I have been and still think about this DI vs Piston. I own a Sig 556 and it eats everything uses AR mags so it skewed my thinking. So much so I went out and bought a LWRC M6A2 upper and have have been happy with it. I still think about the upper not being mil spec and have contemplated getting a DI upper.

Well, I have an LWRCI piston and love it but its jumpy and nose heavy. I got it after the election for a really really ridiculous price. I couldn't pass on it. However, Clandestine is very correct, of course, about it. I'm getting a DI upper and will probably love that one too. I just wanted to make sure there was a big enough difference between the two before I went and purchased or made a DI model. Sounds like there is if you listen to the experts in this and other threads.

I don't discriminate when it comes to pew pew toys.

4guyz1stool

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 16, 2017

And they are 3k a piece as opposed to $650 for the previous M4's. Gotta love the government!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom