• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Or if we understand you , blocking in a car is contrary to Dept Policy, at least in incidents similar to this one . Doing so is certainly physically possible .

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    Or if we understand you , blocking in a car is contrary to Dept Policy, at least in incidents similar to this one . Doing so is certainly physically possible .

No, they changed the laws of physics at my agency. It is no longer physically possible to block cars

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    A what?

Reminds me of the Seinfeld bit. An Integrity? No, an Integra. Well I hope it's not a Lemona or you'll be hearing from my Lawya.

L T D, it's a Limited Edition. But they sell a million of those things. Yeah, limited to how many we can sell.

:lol2:
    IT is one of Toyotas crossovers. It is large like a true crossover utility vehicle but sits lower to the ground.

2014-Toyota-Venza-V6-AWD-side-profile.jpg

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    We cannot box cars in. We can “block traffic” and hope for the best, which is what it appears to have happened. Shitty policy only leaves half measures.

As far as the window, I would guess they didn’t want to spray her with glass. It looked like she wasn’t swinging for the fence.

That’s unfortunate, I wonder what prompted that policy because clearly it didn’t stop one police cruiser from being damaged, several people could have been injured or killed including the two cars going the other way.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Time for discussing the initiating of z procedure that can't / won't be followed through ?

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    We cannot box cars in. We can “block traffic” and hope for the best, which is what it appears to have happened. Shitty policy only leaves half measures.

As far as the window, I would guess they didn’t want to spray her with glass. It looked like she wasn’t swinging for the fence.

Why?
    Blocking in a car seems like the safest alternative for everyone.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto

Why?

Blocking in a car seems like the safest alternative for everyone.

In this case blocking her in would have minimized risks. Following the rule allowed her to drive away putting families, children and others at risk of death or serious bodily harm due to that massive vehicle fleeing down the street and who knows wherever. The Police had a confined situation and allowed it to escalate causing a larger danger. I thought the name of the game was to confine and minimize danger. Rules need to allow for common sense exceptions.

Does any other county in MD have the same restriction?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    It is amazing to me the amount of people on this form who do not grasp the concept of laminated safety glass.

No, a punch, hammer, asp, fatmax, spring punch, escape tool, crowbar or any other things listed would not have been effective. Those are effective on tempered glass, not safety glass.

Things that are effective on safety glass are disc saws, sawzalls and the like.

The officers may have had better luck with a rear hatch window or rear door window, but that would put them in a precarious position having to climb over seats to get to the unlock button.

Seriously guys, it is not easy to break through laminated glass from the outside without specialized tools

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    It is amazing to me the amount of people on this form who do not grasp the concept of laminated safety glass.

No, a punch, hammer, asp, fatmax, spring punch, escape tool, crowbar or any other things listed would not have been effective. Those are effective on tempered glass, not safety glass.

Things that are effective on safety glass are disc saws, sawzalls and the like.

The officers may have had better luck with a rear hatch window or rear door window, but that would put them in a precarious position having to climb over seats to get to the unlock button.

Seriously guys, it is not easy to break through laminated glass from the outside.

I understand that Glas-Master tool uses a spring loaded center punch and it is advertised to work on all laminated windows.

Is that BS?

EDIT
    : located the following: https://www.firerescue1.com/fire-products/Extrication-Tools-Cutters-and-Spreaders/articles/1505250-6-tools-for-breaching-auto-glass/

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Does the academy have junk cars that the recruits practice on?
    The resilience of laminated glass shouldn't be a surprise to anyone whose job it is to break it.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    I understand that Glas-Master tool uses a spring loaded center punch and it is advertised to work on all laminated windows.

Is that BS?

EDIT
    : located the following: https://www.firerescue1.com/fire-products/Extrication-Tools-Cutters-and-Spreaders/articles/1505250-6-tools-for-breaching-auto-glass/

I was unfamiliar with that device until this thread. It appears to be an improvement on the disc saw concept. I have no personal experience (been out of the rescue game for a while) but according to the videos it seems to work

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    I once watched a fire fighter cut out a laminated windshield with an ax. He climbed up on top of that destroyed car and just started chop chop chopping all the way around like he was splitting firewood. The rest of his crew was busy cutting parts off the car with a hydraulic tool. I should have timed him.

This was back in the early '90's. I'd assume rescue equipment technology has given them better tools by now.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If anyone has been to Daniels there is a tiny two lane entrance/exit between it and the building to the north to get to their shared parking lot in the rear of both businesses. It would not have taken much to block off that entrance with a cruiser. If she would have backed up she's going nowhere as that back parking area is bounded by the raised railroad tracks to the north, Lawyer's Hill to the west and a thick ass patch of bamboo to the south.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert

Is that BS?

EDIT

The spring loaded center punch is for breaking tempered glass windows. It is nestled into the handle so you have it for easy access.
    The saw blade section is for laminated glass. The semi pointed end of the handle is for slamming through the laminated glass to create a hole for the saw blade.

They are effective tools which are faster than chopping the whole way around with an axe before peeling the glass back.
    A sawzall works also but you need another tool to create a hole for the blade and it creates a very fine glass dust cloud for the user and inside the vehicle which can cause respiratory problems in patients that may already be dealing with chest trauma and airbag dust from a collision.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    If you lack the technology to extract, or the permission to prevent movement , and initially just a parking violation , with no PC of felony .... Why not stick a parking ticket under the wiper, declare Victory , and go on your way ?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If you lack the technology to extract, or the permission to prevent movement , and initially just a parking violation , with no PC of felony .... Why not stick a parking ticket under the wiper, declare Victory , and go on your way ?

Because... HoCo Popo...

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    Does the academy have junk cars that the recruits practice on?
    The resilience of laminated glass shouldn't be a surprise to anyone whose job it is to break it.

Not likely in the police academy. I practiced on them in EMT school, and the center punch was an awesome tool for side tempered windows.

Laminated side front windows have only been phased in as a mandate in recent years. So that's likely why many here don't realize that a centerpunch wouldn't have worked on the front window if it was a newer Venza. A few years old and would have been great. Since generally you're not going to have the time to examine the vehicle build sheet while trying to extract a suspect attempting to escape, most of the time it's going to be at least worth a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom