• weak side thumb on release

Votes: 8 11.1%
    • something else

Votes: 6 8.3%

• Total voters

6Den

Feb 10, 2013
    Howard County
    Assuming by "pinch" you are referring to slingshot, I use this offhand or weak side slide release off a rest. I feel there is better muzzle control with both. The WS slide release is least disruptive to grip and sight alignment.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    I slingshot, but not with two fingers. I grip the slide, pull back, and release. When reloading, your weak side hand would load the mag, then it's a short distance to moving to the top of the slide and slingshot. To me, it's a little more reliable. Pulling the slide back releases the stop first,then it's a straight shoot for the slide to slam home.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I have the most fvcked up reload. Support hand thumb drops mag, support hand rips out (and I do mean RIPS) empty mag. Grabs new mag and inserts. And then I go over the top. I tried this on a revolver once by accident. Didn't do shit.

Thumb on slide release is fastest and bestest but I work retail in the gun industry so I'm constantly handling 50 different styles of actions, mag and slide releases so I just shortcutted to a method that works on 90% of guns and it carried over to my training.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Strong side thumb on release.
    I'm not sure how anything can be faster or any more simple.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Strong side thumb on release. I've always done it that way and to change now would feel weird.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Was taught a simple 2 step method I like. Drop/rip the mag, immediately move thumb up to the top of the release. As you insert a fresh mag, slapping it in to seat it while putting pressure on the slide release drops the slide in one motion with very little thumb pressure. If the slide doesn't fall reach over top and rack the slide.

vetogunban

Apr 30, 2013
    Brooklyn Park
    Sorry I could catch the name of the minimalist Glock mag well he used. Could someone with better hearing than me post the brand? Anyone use this on their Glock?

Thanks.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    I am very low speed, very high drag. I "train" to slingshot as it is a gross motor skill and not a fine one. I have an extended slide release installed on my G30, but tend not to use it.

Edit: If I use the slide release, I use my strong side thumb.

Last edited:

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Varies by gun, and situation.

Some, I can just seat the mag hard enough to drop the slide w/out hitting the release or having to slingshot - My M&P and HK for example. Others, depends on which hand I'm shooting with. Glock type, strong side firing - support thumb on release. Weak side firing, slingshot.

Not much is set in stone with me, I'll use whatever method feels appropriate for that time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom