• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    This is the 2nd item I got from last Saturday's auction in WV. I've lusted after a Winchester Lee Navy for decades. I saw one dark photo in the auction ad and knew instantly what it was. Yet it wasn't listed in the ad. So game on, there's a good chance dealers and other whales won't be attending this tiny auction in a remote part of WV.
    -Was initially disappointed when examining it. Bolt stop was broken and the fragile and easy to lose extractor was missing. Additionally there was some damage to the stock comb. But then it sunk in that all these parts are readily available as originals but for the extractor which is only available as a repop. But that wasn't a deal breaker. In fact, it was in pretty solid condition. So it had to come home with me.
    -This is one of the first 1500, built in late 1896, chambered to take the first metric cartridge in US military history: 6 mm Lee Navy or .236 Navy. There were two basic variations of the Lee Navy. The later version incorporated lots of small updates to address lots of issues discovered as the musket was fielded...

Front sight hood added
    Finger grooved stock
    Improved extractor
    Solid bolt handle
    Gas shield on bolt
    Updated firing pin
    Updated firing pin lock w. roller
    Revised bolt stop
    Extractor screw added

-Some problems plagued the Lee Navy to the end of its short tenure. The extractor and bolt stops were the two major issues. Cleaning the small bore was difficult as well. Throw in the fact that Lee Navy muskets were issued shipboard and used extensively in salt water environments by the Marines and you need to keep after the bore or it's gonna pit post haste. Getting that small bore clean was a chore.
    -Lee Navy muskets saw action in Cuba, the Philippines and China. It was a very accurate arm, reports of minute of aim accuracy were reported. And with the near straight pull action it was fast. The very thing the Navy wanted to take on MTBs. It had to be flat shooting and fast. Ammo was held in clips, similar in principal to a Mannlicher. Yet it could be single loaded as well.
    -In all about 20,000 Lee Navy muskets were built for the US government. There were some sporters built and genuine examples can be hard to find. Lots of sporterized muskets abound.

Attachments

• IMGP8221.JPG
      IMGP8221.JPG
      24.5 KB · Views: 529
    • IMGP8222.JPG
      IMGP8222.JPG
      45.7 KB · Views: 438
    • IMGP8224.JPG
      IMGP8224.JPG
      38.4 KB · Views: 430
    • IMGP8212.JPG
      IMGP8212.JPG
      26.6 KB · Views: 426
    • IMGP8213.JPG
      IMGP8213.JPG
      24.3 KB · Views: 430
    • IMGP8235.JPG
      IMGP8235.JPG
      49.2 KB · Views: 429
    • IMGP8226.JPG
      IMGP8226.JPG
      39.2 KB · Views: 431
    • IMGP8227.JPG
      IMGP8227.JPG
      42.8 KB · Views: 431
    • IMGP8228.JPG
      IMGP8228.JPG
      30 KB · Views: 434
    • IMGP8225.JPG
      IMGP8225.JPG
      38.1 KB · Views: 423

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Additional photos inc. an ammo clip.

Attachments

• IMGP8229.JPG
      IMGP8229.JPG
      38.8 KB · Views: 411
    • IMGP8230.JPG
      IMGP8230.JPG
      35.3 KB · Views: 411
    • IMGP8232.JPG
      IMGP8232.JPG
      26 KB · Views: 410
    • IMGP8233.JPG
      IMGP8233.JPG
      47.5 KB · Views: 418
    • IMGP8234.JPG
      IMGP8234.JPG
      66.5 KB · Views: 415

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    China Marines with Lee Navy Muskets.

Attachments

• boxermar.jpg
      boxermar.jpg
      82.3 KB · Views: 424
    • 5501127384_cae735a803.jpg
      5501127384_cae735a803.jpg
      45.9 KB · Views: 933
    Jul 1, 2012
    Awesome!
    I would say that was well worth the gamble of a long drive ...
    and see why you're so excited about it, the metal looks to be in remarkable shape.
    A little TLC, a part here and a part there and it's a crown jewel :)

Is the bore OK?

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Awesome!
    I would say that was well worth the gamble of a long drive ...
    and see why you're so excited about it, the metal looks to be in remarkable shape.
    A little TLC, a part here and a part there and it's a crown jewel :)

Is the bore OK?

Bore is slightly fouled. Started a good soak and clean with Kroil. Have a good feeling that there's a VG bore under the lead looking at the first patches coming out.
    This one might be a shooter. I did some reading on two well noted failures of Navy Lees and Ian up on Forgotten Weapons has a working theory that brass was at the heart of it. You can use .220 Swift or .30-40 Krag brass to form .236 Lee Navy brass. Both failures were using .30-40 brass. The thought is that this brass failed at the base and the action couldn't deal with the gas pressure. Makes sense, much more than anything I've read about up to now. So if I do shoot her it'll be using .220 Swift brass.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Some photos of the extractor. It's not secured to the bolt in a traditional way so when you remove the bolt the extractor is free to drop out. When the first rifles were being used for drills many extractors were lost when the bolt stop was accidentally pushed down, allowing the bolt to come out of the action. Lots of spare extractors were placed on order early in the life of the Lee Navy!
    The cause was the locked position of the bolt stop had it above the top of the receiver (see 1st photo of the receiver, bolt stop is on the left). When pressed down to a flush position (2nd photo) it was unlocked and the bolt could be removed. All too often the stop was pushed down accidentally in the field and out came the bolt and loose extractor!
    The second variant fixed this by making the locked position flush with the receiver so it couldn't be accidentally disengaged. One of many fixes enacted.

Attachments

• IMGP8236.JPG
      IMGP8236.JPG
      33.6 KB · Views: 388
    • IMGP8237.JPG
      IMGP8237.JPG
      43.7 KB · Views: 384
    • IMGP8238.JPG
      IMGP8238.JPG
      50.7 KB · Views: 382
    • IMGP8239.JPG
      IMGP8239.JPG
      51.1 KB · Views: 376
    • IMGP8240.JPG
      IMGP8240.JPG
      54.1 KB · Views: 382

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Thanks for sharing. I actually saw a couple of these out in Northwestern MD a few months ago at around $1000, but I didn't/don't know enough about them to know what to look for. Also they have already sold, in case anyone was going to PM me to ask for location.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Thanks for sharing. I actually saw a couple of these out in Northwestern MD a few months ago at around $1000, but I didn't/don't know enough about them to know what to look for. Also they have already sold, in case anyone was going to PM me to ask for location.

$1k for one of these in good condition is stupid cheap. There's a rough one coming up in an Amoskeag auction and they're estimating $1200-1500 and that's probably in the ball park.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    $1k for one of these in good condition is stupid cheap. There's a rough one coming up in an Amoskeag auction and they're estimating $1200-1500 and that's probably in the ball park.
    Good to know. I don't really have that kind of money to throw around on milsurps right now, but I have been considering getting an American milsurp rifle in the next few years. I was more thinking Springfield Trapdoor or some kind of rolling block rifle, but who knows how I'll feel once I have the budget.

Cruacious

C&R Farmer
    Apr 29, 2015
    Elkton
    Let me know if you ever plan to shoot it mawkie, I'd love to join you and share. One of my pleasures in life I try to indulge in is to shoot anything odd, unusual, or rare I get my hands on. Quite fun to do so.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Good to know. I don't really have that kind of money to throw around on milsurps right now, but I have been considering getting an American milsurp rifle in the next few years. I was more thinking Springfield Trapdoor or some kind of rolling block rifle, but who knows how I'll feel once I have the budget.

I pulled something out of the safe that I think you'll like! Look for a new thread from me...

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Let me know if you ever plan to shoot it mawkie, I'd love to join you and share. One of my pleasures in life I try to indulge in is to shoot anything odd, unusual, or rare I get my hands on. Quite fun to do so.

Will do! Might be a while so shoot a reminder later on, my memory isn't so sharp anymore so I do forget promises, much to my shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom