• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I'm sure it's somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it right now. What do you do if you know a certain firearm is 50 years old (because they stopped making them more than 50 years ago), but there is no serial number or any markings that tell you the exact year of manufacture?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    I'm sure it's somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it right now. What do you do if you know a certain firearm is 50 years old (because they stopped making them more than 50 years ago), but there is no serial number or any markings that tell you the exact year of manufacture?

I assume that this firearm isn't in the BATFE's C&R list. If you can show (published material, correspondence from the manufacturer, Blue Book information, etc.) that the firearm hasn't been made in at least 50 years, then you are good to go. Just keep that information with your bound book and don't worry about it. If you can't find information that substantiates the age, then, unfortunately, you're pretty much screwed. Also, keep in mind that a C&R firearm will lose its C&R status if it's been modified in any material way.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

After next year this shouldn't be a problem anymore!

Jul 1, 2012
    Took me a while too, but I think he means in 2018, it will be C&R by definition.
    The 1968 GCA requires mfg info & S/N; any <legal> gun w/o a S/N is therefore pre-68 (well, pre-whenever-in-1968, oct?)
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Took me a while too, but I think he means in 2018, it will be C&R by definition.
    The 1968 GCA requires mfg info & S/N; any <legal> gun w/o a S/N is therefore pre-68 (well, pre-whenever-in-1968, oct?)
    That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ah, got it.

rohankmalik

Nov 26, 2016
    12 days and I still haven't gotten anything in the mail. Is this normal? I'm talking about the introductory paperwork.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    C&R Application

Yes, I looked at the sticky FAQ, but the first page that covers this is drom Jan 2009, and a whole lotta everything has changed in between.

Has this gone at least partially inline yet, or this this the last dead tree process. Presumably the print card would still need to come in the mail ?

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Yes, I looked at the sticky FAQ, but the first page that covers this is drom Jan 2009, and a whole lotta everything has changed in between.

Has this gone at least partially inline yet, or this this the last dead tree process. Presumably the print card would still need to come in the mail ?

Dead trees and snail mail

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom