• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    My son and I were out back yesterday messing around on the range when we started having problems with spent casings occasionally not extracting. I could pull them out easily enough with a small screwdriver, but still...it was irritating. I pulled the bolt this morning to take a peek and I'm not sure what I'm seeing here.

There are what appear to be two extractors. One is black and has an obviously sharp hook. The other is silver in color and is rounded or maybe even angled. Could that rounded/angled one be the reason it's not extracting? Or is that not an extractor?

Cheers
    Q

DSC05638-1024x768.jpg

DSC05639-1024x768.jpg

bigjohn

Ultimate Member
    Jun 29, 2007
    Maybe someone has one to compare it to. Looks to me that one wasn’t cut properly. Did it work before this range time?

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The sharp one is the extractor, the smoother one is the cartridge guide. That's normal. I'd take the retaining ring off, clean out the grooves where they sit, then put them back in and see how you do.

DP12

Apr 24, 2018
    SoMD
    Roger that.

I'll try removing the ring/spring and cleaning the whole thing. I only cleaned the face and easily accessible surfaces this morning. Went out back and...same problem. 1 in 10 wouldn't extract. Oddly enough, when one FTE'd, I pulled the mag, cycled the bolt, and it extracted like a champ.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    My Savage MkII looks just like that. It extracts almost all the time, but fails to eject about a quarter to a third of the time. It has done it from day one (10+ years ago). After a little research, I wrote to Savage (because they didn't offer a friggin' email address) asking if I could buy a replacement extractor spring (that black ring that snaps around the bolt holding both pieces in) because no one seemed to have one in stock. I got a form letter reply that told me to go to an authorized gunsmith. :rolleye12 It seemed like they didn't even read what I was asking.:mad54:

I made a replacement spring with some careful snip and dremel work out of a piece of metal strapping (the black kind that holds bundles of lumber, etc. together. It is actually a weak spring steel). The trick was keeping it cool to not ruin the temper. This helped a lot...maybe 1 or 2 out of ten wouldn't eject. It's starting to get worse again, but, how long is a spring made out of garbage expected to last :shrug:

When I first researched it, a common solution seemed to be putting a second spring over the first. I couldn't do that because my fabricated spring was thicker than original (and, obviously, I couldn't come up with a second stock one). Maybe they are available now.

I kept the rifle because it is damned accurate, but I'll never trust it anywhere off the range.

Good Luck.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My Savage MkII looks just like that. It extracts almost all the time, but fails to eject about a quarter to a third of the time. It has done it from day one (10+ years ago). After a little research, I wrote to Savage (because they didn't offer a friggin' email address) asking if I could buy a replacement extractor spring (that black ring that snaps around the bolt holding both pieces in) because no one seemed to have one in stock. I got a form letter reply that told me to go to an authorized gunsmith. :rolleye12 It seemed like they didn't even read what I was asking.:mad54:

I made a replacement spring with some careful snip and dremel work out of a piece of metal strapping (the black kind that holds bundles of lumber, etc. together. It is actually a weak spring steel). The trick was keeping it cool to not ruin the temper. This helped a lot...maybe 1 or 2 out of ten wouldn't eject. It's starting to get worse again, but, how long is a spring made out of garbage expected to last :shrug:

When I first researched it, a common solution seemed to be putting a second spring over the first. I couldn't do that because my fabricated spring was thicker than original (and, obviously, I couldn't come up with a second stock one). Maybe they are available now.

I kept the rifle because it is damned accurate, but I'll never trust it anywhere off the range.

Good Luck.

Numrich has the parts in stock....

Brownl345

Jan 9, 2015
    Howard County
    I have a Mark II FVSR and I tried all of the troubleshooting steps I found online, messing with the extractor and such. The only remedy that I found to make mine 100% reliable was to use a defined list of ammo and to clean the chamber after every range trip. I can get through every range trip without a hiccup now. CCI mini mags were my worst offenders.

j8064

Garrett Co Hooligan #1
    Feb 23, 2008
    Deep Creek
    The sharp one is the extractor, the smoother one is the cartridge guide. That's normal. I'd take the retaining ring off, clean out the grooves where they sit, then put them back in and see how you do.

This. ^^^ And try a different brand of ammo.

I had the same problem with my Mark II. I cleaned the bolt and bore thoroughly, but still had a problem until ... I narrowed it down to the fact my rifle hates Winchester .22 ammo. It runs perfectly with about anything else. My long term solution? Note to self: Don't feed your Mark II Winchester...

Good luck on your rifle.

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom