• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Is it common for a Judge to stay his own ruling pending an appeal? It sounds like he would be saying, "hmmm maybe I was wrong. Let's hold off on this."

Not uncommon. Especially where the judge thinks its a close case and the loser can make a decent showing of harm

Merlin

Ultimate Member
    Dec 31, 2009
    Carroll County, Maryland
    Not uncommon. Especially where the judge thinks its a close case and the loser can make a decent showing of harm

When I read statements that Judge Legg made I did not get the impression he thought anything was close. He plainly pointed out what the state of MD was doing is wrong for what they have been doing over the years.

Out of 50 states in the US, 43 of them are either shall issue states to include the 4 states you just have to show your a resident of to carry. After any judge points out to one of the last few states that still feel they have the right to prevent us from a constitutional right they are very wrong, how can he feel anything is close?

The decision Judge Legg made I feel was him being a good and fair judge. But I think the stay is nothing more then politics.

He pointed out in March that G&S is wrong. Not that he thinks G&S is wrong. But that it is wrong. So a stay was implemented just in case the state could come up with a good reason of why they should be able to continue to keep us from a constitutional rights? A right that people in 43 other states can enjoy?

Why don't all of the judges get together and let all of the states come us with good reasons to trash all of the constitution as long as they can come up with good reasons to do so? :mad54:

JMangle

Handsome Engineer
    May 11, 2008
    Mississippi
    patient_bear_demotivational_poster_Sharenator_Select_brand_Funny-s600x480-149993.jpg

But seriously, watched pot and what not.

Today it has been 90 days since the MSP got my application. So the longer the wait, the more I can complain once the stay is lifted. I don't think they will have a good excuse saying, "Oh, we actually didn't do anything with your permit for the first 90 days because of the stay."

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    This is all wishful thinking, of course. I was just fanning some flames a bit. :D

Most of us know that there's no timeline for the decision, and while it could come at any time, this is undoubtedly a patient man's game.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Pretty soon isn't any decision by Judge Legg re appeal going to be mute because CA$ is dealing with it?
    No...proceedings for appeal are separate from the stay. (District Court vs. Circuit). Of course, like anything in the justice system, the stay itself can be appealed as well.

eyesinpines

Mar 4, 2011
    This court isn't ruling on appeal; it's ruling on a stay. If the motion is decided in our favor (no stay), the state will ask CA4 to stay the ruling while they handle the actual case appeal.
    Thanks for pointing out my "mispeak"!!

Same question though....as soon as CA4 wraps their arms around this, any stay/brief/hearing etc will be theirs right? So at what point does anything that Judge Legg have to say become mute?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom