• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr H

Banana'd
    Some may remember the heinous bid made 2 years ago by Rushern Baker (County Exec.) to completely take over control of the PC Co. school system, and got a bill passed at the very last minute to do just that.

Well, he's doubling down on stupid, and using this as an excuse to soak county residents, with a draconian proposal to increase property taxes to fund his pipedream.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...78a2a4-f2e3-11e4-bcc4-e8141e5eb0c9_story.html

IMO, he's known all along it couldn't happen, but waited to now (when he may be preparing for higher office) to make his gambit.

If allowed to happen, the population in PG will likely change dramatically, and leave the county as a festering boil.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    They had plenty of money to build the Taj Mahal of Henry Wise high-school and Barack Obama elementary school.

PG county schools are not lacking in money. They are lacking in committed parents.

Mr H

Banana'd
    They had plenty of money to build the Taj Mahal of Henry Wise high-school and Barack Obama elementary school.

PG county schools are not lacking in money. They are lacking in committed parents.

Agree.

It's a shell game, and a scam.

Side note: BO Elem, after the quake, was closed for an extended period due to damage. Older schools (N. F'ville, for example) were closed just long enough to be looked at and deemed safe.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Wise is already falling apart, partially because of shoddy construction and partially because of the occupants.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    The culture of that school system is broken and I'm not sure it can be meaningfully corrected after decades of a lack of student and parent buy in.

The comments section had one thing right, that the middle schools in that district are the weakest link of an already weak chain. It is entirely common for people to live in one of the "good" elementary districts, pull their kid out for middle school because as far as I can see there are no good middle schools in the county, and then bring them back into the system for high school if they can get their kid into Roosevelt.

The comments also suggested a culling of the herd through tracking. It might be necessary there to give the willing students a chance to get an education absent the dissonance that comes from many of the other students who see school as a time to socialize, roam the halls and in some cases conduct some business enterprises.

good guy 176

R.I.P.
    Dec 9, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    I live in PG county and can assure you, the school system IS NOT fixable! The kids still curse out the teachers and throw the books out the windows. The county resembles UN Hq East and THAT is the problem. My court (street) is indicative of what the county has become...Haitian, Guatamalean, Costa Rican, Jamacian, mixed breed. Been here 31 years and have seen way TOO much change.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    If the taxpayers knew what goes in the procurement department they would replace the Board, and the new Board should clean house. If the BPW knew what was going on they would cut funding and tell the Board to stop whining. There is plenty of money. Just too much bureacracy, not enough competition, and plenty of stupid.

goterps

Jun 23, 2015
    I am a lifelong resident of Prince Georges County, and made sure my kid goes to school in Anne Arundel County. I graduated from a PG High School in 1999 and pretty much have lost faith in most of the PG County school system.

If I decide to enroll my child again with the county it will be in private school, where I know he will get the education he deserves and not some teacher who is getting paid to show up.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I am a lifelong resident of Prince Georges County, and made sure my kid goes to school in Anne Arundel County. I graduated from a PG High School in 1999 and pretty much have lost faith in most of the PG County school system.

If I decide to enroll my child again with the county it will be in private school, where I know he will get the education he deserves and not some teacher who is getting paid to show up.

Do you really feel AACO is any better?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Not the only cause by far, but I note Kevin Maxwell has presided over the failure of both AACO and PGCO school districts.

The new guy is even more of a progressive ideologue he's just smarter about it.

fishcrow

May 7, 2013
    There have been at least two outside audits done in the PGCPS during the 25 years I have taught there. The two I know both questioned where the money was going and there were too many at the top and not nearly enough at the bottom, the famous inverted triangle. Nothing seemed to come of either report.

Twice, teachers have been told there would be money taken from their contracted pay as the county cried there wasn't any money. The State upheld this.

PGCPS was one of the top school systems in the nation. Petty feuds, corrupt politicians, insistent waste of money, etc. has turned it into a disaster of epic proportion. When the State Legislature passed HB 1107, I think it's the one that got through, Baker had everything he wanted.

As for Baker and Maxwell, they go back aways. When Maxwell left AA, he was fined $20,000 for leaving early. He paid $5,000, PGCPS paid $15,000. So much for the betterment of the children.

goterps

Jun 23, 2015
    Do you really feel AACO is any better?

The elementary school my son attends in Annapolis is pretty good. Small class sizes and his teacher is young and very attentive and works great with the kids. I'm not sure if he would have got the same experience in PG, but I feel he got the better deal in AA County. He splits time between me and his mom in AA County, and I prefer for him to grow up there then in PG.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

cap6888

Ultimate Member
    Oct 2, 2011
    Howard County
    I have worked for PG County since 1994. The county is a complete ********. Politics runs and ruins everything there. I refuse to spend any money there unless it is my shift and I HAVE to buy something. Everything that the County Government touches is run like shit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom