• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPQM

May 21, 2014
    So I notice in the MoCo Code:

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/montzon2014/chapter59montgomerycountyzoningordinance?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:montgomeryco_md_mc

Chapter 57. Weapons.

(c) This section does not prohibit a gun show at a multipurpose exhibition facility if:
    (1) the facility's intended and actual primary use is firearms sports (hunting or target, trap, or skeet shooting) or education (firearms training); or
    (2) no person who owns or operates the facility or promotes or sponsors the gun show received financial or in-kind support from the County (as defined in Section 57-13(a)) during the preceding 5 years, or after December 1, 2001, whichever is shorter; and
    (A) no other public activity is allowed at the place of public assembly during the gun show; and
    (B) if a minor may attend the gun show:
    (i) the promoter or sponsor of the gun show provides to the Chief of Police, at least 30 days before the show:
    (a) photographic identification, fingerprints, and any other information the Police Chief requires to conduct a background check of each individual who is or works for any promoter or sponsor of the show and will attend the show; and
    (b) evidence that the applicant will provide adequate professional security personnel and any other safety measure required by the Police Chief, and will comply with this Chapter; and
    (ii) the Police Chief does not prohibit the gun show before the gun show is scheduled to begin because:
    (a) the promoter or sponsor has not met the requirements of clause (i); or
    (b) the Police Chief has determined that an individual described in clause (i)(a) is not a responsible individual.

Sec. 57-13. Use of public funds.
    (a) The County must not give financial or in-kind support to any organization that allows the display and sale of guns at a facility owned or controlled by the organization. Financial or in-kind support means any thing of value that is not generally available to similar organizations in the County, such as a grant, special tax treatment, bond authority, free or discounted services, or a capital improvement constructed by the County.

It looks like we need to find private exhibitor space that doesn't take money from the county and simply ban all minors from entry (have people show DLs to enter) and we're GTG.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    So I notice in the MoCo Code:

http://library.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Maryland/montzon2014/chapter59montgomerycountyzoningordinance?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:montgomeryco_md_mc

Chapter 57. Weapons.

It looks like we need to find private exhibitor space that doesn't take money from the county and simply ban all minors from entry (have people show DLs to enter) and we're GTG.

***** I think in MoCo asking for ID is racist or something... :innocent0

(At least to vote...).

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I think that was done to get it out of the fairgrounds, where they used to have them.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Special tax treatment ? Would that trip up over non- profit status , or whatever they call green space ?

But in any case , the biggest bottleneck is potential venue . Tag , SPQM is it , you're in charge of reaching out to Veteran and fraternal groups .

And the expectations will have to be framed in context that mere existence is Successful in itself .

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I’d rather go to Virginia, I can buy standard capacity mags there. Screw Maryland

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    Maryland gun shows are not even close to what they used to be. Many...if not most...vendors from out of state don't show anymore as they don't want to run afoul of MD laws even unintentionally nor do they want to tae valuable time to separate out from their inventory those items not MD legal nor compliant. That cuts down the number of vendors which makes gun shows get smaller and even go away altogether. While not specifically saying so in the law it is most definitely a result of the law which makes politicians happy.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    images

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD
    Gun shows in maryland are only for looking as far as im concerned.....buy stuff elsewhere.

Way to support local businesses!! What will you "look" at when there are no more MD shows? Lots of VA dealers already wont sell to Marylanders, do you think that will get any better? Hope you like out of state show prices because thats what you'll be paying. I am so sick of everyone putting MD shows down, I agree they are not what they used to be, but lets try and make them better! If we worked together in bettering the shows instead of belittling them, maybe we could start to bring back some of what MD shows were.

SPQM

May 21, 2014
    But in any case , the biggest bottleneck is potential venue . Tag , SPQM is it , you're in charge of reaching out to Veteran and fraternal groups .

And the expectations will have to be framed in context that mere existence is Successful in itself .

Phase 0.5 of research done.

* emailed American Legion Post 86 in Rockville

* emailed FATHER ROSENSTEEL COUNCIL COUNCIL # 2169 (Knights of Columbus, Silver Spring, MD)

We shall see.:innocent0

Even if we get "this is possible", it's still gonna take a while to put this on, early 2019 is likely.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I don't know how most of their requirements are legal.

When there is a car show, carnival, or anything else like that where minors may be does everyone have a background check? Hell, they hired a child molester as a teacher in MoCo not long ago! Guess he couldn't have worked at a gun show.............

Need to win the lottery so I could have a team of lawyers go after all these moronic laws. Would be slow going but needs to happen.

The left never sleazes (yes spelled the way I want it) to amaze me, they love some freedoms but hate others.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I imagine the county ban on gun shows in county owned facilities is still in place. Whether Gaithersburg would be willing to rent out the Fairgrounds for them again is an open question. The county is probably more anti-gun now than it was at the time Silverado gave up shows in there. The same goes for any privately owned facilities that could host a gun show. The likely protests and hostile welcome would work against new gun shows regardless of the money it could bring into the locality.

The one big problem that is the constant elephant in the room is that out-of-state vendors will wouldn't want to come into Maryland gun shows...Montgomery County or not...the "assault weapon" ban and prohibition of 10+ round capacity magazines. These vendors don't want to cull their inventory of what would be considered illegal in the so called "Free State"...they don't want to even accidentally run afoul of Maryland laws. Just look at what's happening in counties other than MoCo...the shows are getting smaller or going away altogether. The small local shows may still go on but the MGA hasn't completed its desires to do away with them either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom