• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 4, 2017
    Hello All,

I'm interested in purchasing a handgun from a friend in another state. However, he purchased it via private sale from another individual who possibly got it from another private sale. Needless to say there's a rabbit trail of "unknown" owners. Anyone know of a way to have it registered? Or should I stay away? Thanks all

~Sledgehammer

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Hello All,

I'm interested in purchasing a handgun from a friend in another state. However, he purchased it via private sale from another individual who possibly got it from another private sale. Needless to say there's a rabbit trail of "unknown" owners. Anyone know of a way to have it registered? Or should I stay away? Thanks all

~Sledgehammer

The transfer and registration needs to go through an FFL in the state you live in. As long as it was not stolen by one of the previous owners them being unknown is not a problem. Find a local FFL who will accept out of state transfers, check the MDS Industry Partners for someone convenient and let them walk you through the process. You will need to have an HQL and the handgun will need to be on the approved handgun list unless it is exempt.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    It must be sent to a FFL in MD.

They will run a background check and have you fill out a 4473/77R, thereby registering it. HQL needed as well.

It also depends on how old the handgun is, i.e. C&R, and if you have a FFL03, then the above doesn't apply(the I think part).

It doesn't matter how many FTF hands it has passed thru as long as it doesn't come up stolen.

I think....

IANAL.

Caeb75

Full fledged member
    Sep 19, 2007
    Aberdeen
    Once it comes to a MD FFL, your chain of custody will start there. You cannot be held responsible for anything prior to the date you TAKE POSESSION after your waiting period. The worst that will happen is it might be confiscated if it winds up to be stolen.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    The worst that will happen is it might be confiscated if it winds up to be stolen.

This is interesting. If it were a sale by the dealer and it came up as stolen, then I would assume the dealer would void the sale and return your money. But with a private sale, you could wait to pay the seller until the 77R comes back (after the 7 day period). If all is clean, you could settle up.

This is all hypothetical, of course. Just thinking aloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    This is interesting. If it were a sale by the dealer and it came up as stolen, then I would assume the dealer would void the sale and return your money. But with a private sale, you could wait to pay the seller until the 77R comes back (after the 7 day period). If all is clean, you could settle up.

This is all hypothetical, of course. Just thinking aloud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I was the seller I'd want my money before I left the gun there. The FFL would have the seller's info so the police could go and have a chat with him. I think the buyer would probably be SOL

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    If I was the seller I'd want my money before I left the gun there. The FFL would have the seller's info so the police could go and have a chat with him. I think the buyer would probably be SOL

I get that. But the seller should be willing to leave it with the FFL for the 7 days. FFL’s are pretty reputable, so it’s low risk that the gun walks off or anything. But not every seller is so reasonable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I get that. But the seller should be willing to leave it with the FFL for the 7 days. FFL’s are pretty reputable, so it’s low risk that the gun walks off or anything. But not every seller is so reasonable...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Does the seller have to leave the firearm there?

For MSP transfers it’s not like they keep it. Then again I’ve done exactly one private sale of a handgun before. It was through MSP. I forgot exactly what I offered, but I think $180 cash up front or $200 at hand over. If it was particularly more expensive I probably either wouldn’t have been willing to pay cash upfront at all, or only a small amount, like $50 up front, the other $400 at time of possession or something. If someone welches...well MSP has the seller’s info also and I assume they’d be willing to try for an easy arrest. But something I’d prefer not to test.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The OP presented a scenario where the Seller is resident of another state . By Federal Law, all such transactions must go thru an FFL .

The MSP Barracks Transfer is only applicable if both parties are Md residents .

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Does the seller have to leave the firearm there?

For MSP transfers it’s not like they keep it. Then again I’ve done exactly one private sale of a handgun before. It was through MSP. I forgot exactly what I offered, but I think $180 cash up front or $200 at hand over. If it was particularly more expensive I probably either wouldn’t have been willing to pay cash upfront at all, or only a small amount, like $50 up front, the other $400 at time of possession or something. If someone welches...well MSP has the seller’s info also and I assume they’d be willing to try for an easy arrest. But something I’d prefer not to test.

I believe that almost all Maryland FFL's will require the seller to leave the firearm, as it has to be entered into their "Bound Book" and then be recorded as dispersed, or sold.

sanchurv

Aug 5, 2019
    Does the out of state seller have to ship the handgun to a FFL Dealer or can they transport it themselves?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Legally they may . The FFL may have their own policies , consult them in advance .

It is fairly common for them to accept in person, even when they don't care to have them shipped from non licensee .

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The OP presented a scenario where the Seller is resident of another state . By Federal Law, all such transactions must go thru an FFL .

The MSP Barracks Transfer is only applicable if both parties are Md residents .

Correct! An FFL in the buyers state. And it must be on the MD list of approved handguns unless C&R. Can’t purchase a handgun with a hicap mag unless arrangements made to receive the mag out of state.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom