• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    So I went to the range the other day and my 22/45 lite won’t fire. This is a new gun to me but I have used it at the range before. What and I doing wrong? What could be wrong?

Any help is appreciated. Yes the safety is off and yes it is loaded.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    When you say “won’t fire,” do you mean you don’t feel any trigger action or anything wacking the firing pin ... or that things DO happen, but no bang? Is the bolt riding all the way forward? Are you getting any marks on the brass?

You’ll get much more useful ideas if you can better describe exactly what you’re experiencing.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    How many rounds have you shot since it was last cleaned? Rimfire ammo is dirty stuff.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    What mags are you using? The 22/45 lite has a mag safety. If you are using older Ruger mags it could be an issue. Try to load the empty mag and dry fire it?

Can you pull the trigger at all? Did you assemble it correctly if you took it apart?

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    All great questions. So yes the trigger moves freely. The trigger moves like the gun is not loaded. The gun has less than 100 rounds since last cleaned, the magazine question might be it. When I first Time I shot it I used the mag that came with it. I ordered an additional ruger mag and that is the one that won’t fire. I will go out and try the original mags that’s came with it tomorrow. The mags look almost the same but the originals are all black and the new one is silver. Thanks for the ideas.

Sundazes

My brain hurts
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Clear the mags and Ruger and insert mags and dry fire. See if both work the same.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    There's about four different magazines for the Ruger MK pistols.

There's also a kit to delete the magazine disconnector with a new hammer bushing. Installing it is entertaining but not impossible.

https://www.tandemkross.com/Steel-Hammer-Bushing-for-Ruger®-Mark-III™-and-2245™-Pistols_p_9.html

I did that mod to mine, and the loaded chamber indicator fill in. It runs 99.99% with all ammo. The install isn't bad if you know what you're doing. I've had mine completely disassembled and it wasn't as bad as it's made out to be.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Ugggh
    Yet another Ruger 22/45 mod to make it shoot right. I did the spring delete mod to my wife’s. I need to do the mod to make her slide lock act like every other gun slide lock cause somethings the pulls the bolt back while tilting it and it still holds back.

I’ll have to look at this mod but a not fully seated mag gets her at least once per range session. At least it’s teaching her to wack he mag envelopes though she looses confidence in its inherent reliability. Hence I always bring the Glock 17 for her to shoot as well. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toddtrain

Sep 19, 2012
    Carroll County MD
    It was the magazine... Thanks

Attachments

• 6D0A26C8-8132-49C6-A164-991F4AD5666F.jpg
      6D0A26C8-8132-49C6-A164-991F4AD5666F.jpg
      80.7 KB · Views: 275

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    That's good news! I always like it when the explanation is rational (and not space aliens or the Russians). Enjoy that nice pistol. They're endlessly fun.

K-43

West of Morning Side
    Oct 20, 2010
    PG
    Nice looking pistol.
    Thanks for following up!
    I like it when someone comes back and tells everyone the solution. That's helping others who may encounter a similar situation.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    The Ruger mechanism is so datgum fussy that it's just a pleasure to fix.

Years ago, I was in a gun store when a man brought in a Ruger Standard Auto disassembled and in a brown paper bag. It was a busy day and the store owner didn't have time to fool around with it. The man had purchased it and, without shooting it, had disassembled it (something you just didn't do back then). I had nothing better to do that day, so I borrowed the store owner's tools and began trying to assemble the gun.

Ruger Mark II (top) and an AMT Lightning Ruger clone.

It did not go well and the gun owner was watching me nervously. It took me awhile, but after some sweat and tears finally got the thing back together and working. I then cautioned him to not take the gun apart without shooting it at least a hundred rounds.

I've put the bloody things together many times over the years, but this was the most horrible experience I've ever had. That gun was the tightest Ruger I'd ever seen, and I literally had to beat the thing back together. I have no problem taking them apart or assembling them, normally, but the guy told me he'd had a difficult time getting it apart, and I believe him.

Now I wouldn't even consider buying a Mark 4 because I actually enjoy the process! (Actually, I'd love to get a 6-inch stainless because I've never been able to find a Mark 2 or, for that matter, a Mark 3!) Buying handguns in Montgomery County actually is an aggravating experience to begin with anyway. You can get anything you want as long as it's not a good deal!

--

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Once upon a time while visiting with the late shooting/ handloading partner #1 , he'd been disassembling his 22/45 for some forgotten original reason , and the usual hilarity ensued , and proceeded to assemble & disassemble to increase his skills at doing so ( he was not only skilled at detail stripping firearms of all types, but dealt with complex machinery professionally ).

So of course , eventually he points me to the pieces and good naturedly " ok , let's see you do it " . So for once everything goes right , and I get it together in about 60sec with no fumbles . " After being slackjawed , " bet you can't do it again " . " Hell no , that was luck, I'll never be able to top that, I'm quiting while I'm ahead ."

( Is this a good occasion to mention my S&W M622 had much better trigger, and shot groups half the size of the Ruger ? )

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom