• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    To the OP:

The reloading tools you choose depend on your purpose for reloading. If you want to get the absolutely lowest cost per round and don't care about your time and effort, get the lee loader. If you see reloading as an enjoyable experience in itself, get a turret press. If you want an option for reloading on the run during the zombie apocalypse, get a lee loader or a lee hand press. Personally I would recommend the absolutely lowest option as the lee hand press. It uses the same dies as the benchtop press options, so if you decide to upgrade you don't have to start from scratch, you can use the dies you already purchased.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The thread revival made me go back and read the whole thread . Yup , I already posted back at #10 . Still stand by that, and bears repeating again .

I've seen with my own eyes ammo get loaded with a whack a mole, and subsequently shoot MOA .

The whack a mole includes every process necessary to produce ammo for aprox $30 . As much as I like the LEE handpress , the current production with the quick change bushing has a significant price increase . The hand press doesn't have priming capabilities, so a hand priming tool of some sort needed .

$30-ish vs $100-ish is a meaningful difference in start-up investment . Heck , $30 is two fast food meals plus a beer , rounds off to pocket money . If you're going to be loading up to a box or two a month, it's not prohibitively time consuming. .45 Colt is poster child for ROI . You could load 150 rounds , decide you don't care for it , throw it away, and at least break even .

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I haven't tried whack a mole reloading for pistol. For rifle, it can be VERY time consuming and frustrating. I don't thing I managed to load a single round of 7.62x51 with it.

But what ever way you decide to go, check out used equipment. Many people try it and then sell the equipment at a SUBSTANTIAL discount.

Here on MDS or even Craigs List or similar.

sbbieshelt

Jun 26, 2009
    Simple Pleasures Farm
    I have one of those kits for my 30/30 contender. It works fine, takes a lot of time but it's cheap. I only put 15-20 rounds down the 30/30 a few times a year so on a crappy weather day I can still enjoy doing gun stuff. I have other presses for high round counts like 9mm or .45 acp.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Unless you need the portability on purpose , the linked press is better deal than current production hand press . But illustrating my point , from the same seller , the press, plus dies, plus required quick bushing , are $62 , still not including priming tool .

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County
    Unless you need the portability on purpose , the linked press is better deal than current production hand press . But illustrating my point , from the same seller , the press, plus dies, plus required quick bushing , are $62 , still not including priming tool .

Actual cost will be somewhat higher as the die shown is the Universal De-priming die and not a die set.

From Graf & Sons:

3 die .45 ACP (carbide) $34
    Ram Prime $13

So final cost will be in the neighborhood of $87 and doesn't include a loading manual, scale, or measuring device (other than the included Lee dipper).

Edit: Forgot the quick bushing! Add another $9 (approx.) for two.

Last edited:

Biff_N

Jan 7, 2010
    But what ever way you decide to go, check out used equipment. Many people try it and then sell the equipment at a SUBSTANTIAL discount.

Here on MDS or even Craigs List or similar.

+1 I have picked up almost all of me reloading equipment on eBay. Many in NIB condition at incredible prices.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I am the OP. I bought the 2017 gun digest at ollie’s today ( if you don’t shop ollie’s from time to time you are missing out) and taffin’s article on the colt new frontier had me thinking i should shoot my NF more than i do. I ordered a lee handloader tonite. I have maybe 75 used brass cases. What do you think of starting with 100 starline cases, and 1# of unique ( 8.0 gr?) ( this from Taffin’s article using a 250 gr bullet). Does this make sense? . . What do you suggest for primers and bullets...i don’t want to melt my own lead yet. I am old enough to remember print shop in jr high and melting the type at home.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    I am the OP. I bought the 2017 gun digest at ollie’s today ( if you don’t shop ollie’s from time to time you are missing out) and taffin’s article on the colt new frontier had me thinking i should shoot my NF more than i do. I ordered a lee handloader tonite. I have maybe 75 used brass cases. What do you think of starting with 100 starline cases, and 1# of unique ( 8.0 gr?) ( this from Taffin’s article using a 250 gr bullet). Does this make sense? . . What do you suggest for primers and bullets...i don’t want to melt my own lead yet. I am old enough to remember print shop in jr high and melting the type at home.

The Lee Loader will come with a load data sheet with loads that will work with powder dipper that is included in the kit. Other loads that use that dipper or others can be found in the Lee Manual "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition".

LGood48

Ultimate Member
    Feb 3, 2011
    Cecil County

I bought Starline cases when I got my .45C due to the cost of factory loads. Have had no trouble with them. As to primers, I use either Winchester or CCI large pistol.

I load a 255 grain Elmer Keith design semi-wadcutter from Missouri Bullets. They're powder coated and very accurate. I use Titegroup powder, so have no experience with Unique in the .45C.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I don’t yet have powder, primers or bullets ( yet) but i removed the shot primers from a box of .45s and it was fun.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    I don’t yet have powder, primers or bullets ( yet) but i removed the shot primers from a box of .45s and it was fun.

This is a great week to be looking for deals that offer free hazmat and/or shipping or discounted pricing. It is oftentimes good to combine powder and primers where possible to take advantage of the better offers.

FN509Fan

Ultimate Member
    OMG I've never heard of these, when did they first come out? They were interesting to read about but I'd get a single stage press from eBay or something and get real dies there as well or buy new. I picked up a RCBS JR3 at a gun show for $25 years ago (on a whim since I have a SBD) and an inexpensive beam scale. Those little scoops aren't very accurate.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    OMG I've never heard of these, when did they first come out? They were interesting to read about but I'd get a single stage press from eBay or something and get real dies there as well or buy new. I picked up a RCBS JR3 at a gun show for $25 years ago (on a whim since I have a SBD) and an inexpensive beam scale. Those little scoops aren't very accurate.
    Scoops are fine for pistol loads with the right powder. Don’t expect excellent consistency, but it’s easy to be within .2gr accuracy from scoop to scoop. Which is fine if not pushing pressure limits. A lot faster than measuring powder. Not as good as a drum/disk powder dispenser for accuracy or speed. And not remotely as fast as an auto disk/drum powder dispenser. And most accurate is one of the electronic trickler powder measures.

But it’s a question of cost/speed/accuracy/process.

IMHO for $35-60 is just get a powder dispenser. But for the guy reloading a caliber or three on the super cheap scoops are fine.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Back in 75 I learned to reload with a Lee press from a gunner's mate. We loaded 45APC, 30/06 and 5.56.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom