• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Is it possible in MD to legally make a suppressor/silencer? If so, what steps are required? Anyone done this? LEGALLY.

I would like a suppressor to take care of some varmints on a property close to houses, but don't really want to pay the $$$ price of the commercial devices. Additionally, I am a DIY person with the design skill, tools and equipment required for this, and think this would be a fun project.

Any help appreciated.

DubTap21

Jan 27, 2013
    Silver Spring
    Is it possible in MD to legally make a suppressor/silencer? If so, what steps are required? Anyone done this? LEGALLY.

I would like a suppressor to take care of some varmints on a property close to houses, but don't really want to pay the $$$ price of the commercial devices. Additionally, I am a DIY person with the design skill, tools and equipment required for this, and think this would be a fun project.

Any help appreciated.
    File your Form 1 with the ATF, pay the $200 tax, wait for your approval/stamp, then get busy fabricating that suppressor. Easy peazy.

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

RedTide

The Water's Fine
    Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, MD
    Use a Silencer Shop kiosk to lower the hurdle even more. They are quick, easy, and usually puts you in contact with a LGS knowledgeable on the subject....and also head over and make and introduction post, join MSI, and put some skin in the game.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    OP , very bad idea IMHO . I wonder what is to be gained by a post like this . The members of this forum are law abiding citizens that love the freedoms they have , we live in a state that wants to take every last God given right from us and treat us as deplorable and part of what is wrong with America .
    I am here to tell you we are what is right with America , do the right thing , give the Feds. your money (TAX) and don't try to side-step .

And yes a very odd first post .

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    Thanks for the info. I'll get on it.

"Interesting 1st post....again. huh."
    "It seems as if there is a cyclical pattern at play here."

Did I post this in the past???? I thought I had just found this website. And I searched for suppressor info and found almost nothing.

KRC

Sep 30, 2018
    Cecil County MD
    To Welder person

The purpose of my post is to assist me in LEGALLY doing this project. (See original post.)
    I have NO INTEREST in committing a federal felony for a suppressor. Or any other firearms related offense.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    KRC, the reason we are cynical of you and your post, is you've never been part of our community, and ask a highly suspicious question with your first post, didnt introduce yourself, and list no information about yourself. We get numerous first posters on this site, asking off the wall questions in an apparent attempt to get a member to say something to raise eyebrows. So no, we dont take kindly to nonsense and no, we are not trusting of people we dont know asking such nonsense.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    To Welder person

The purpose of my post is to assist me in LEGALLY doing this project. (See original post.)
    I have NO INTEREST in committing a federal felony for a suppressor. Or any other firearms related offense.

The government is about money and control local & federal , they want to know everything you own so they may tax it .

Money & Control

And all the best to you KRC :thumbsup:

Any help appreciated.

This doesn't seem suspicious to me- especially with his requests in red.

OP- We get a lot of people asking about illegal stuff in their first post ever. So often, that we tend to be suspicious of new members asking about anything controversial. Please go to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself- it helps with the BS meter.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Tough crowd for newbs KRC, FYI, Legally, having any part of a suppressor in your possession is considered a "suppressor" so don't start your project without the Stamp.
    The vetting process here at MDS can be similar to the background checks so if you are legit ... hang in there and keep posting, these too will be vetted and once you pass you will have access to a world of knowledge from the peeps here. Good Luck.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    OP:

What you need to do is to file a Form 1 (permission to make an NFA firearm) with the ATF and pay them a $200 tax. Then you wait for about nine months for them to do a background check, and they'll return your Form 1 to you with a tax stamp on it. Then and ONLY then you can start making your suppressor. If you have any suppressor parts in your possession ahead of when you get the stamp back then you have broken the law.

There are a great many guides out there on how to do this process.

Maryland has no specific laws about suppressors.

OP , very bad idea IMHO .

There's nothing "bad idea" about it.

He asked how to do it legally, and there are TONS of people on this forum who have already done what he's asking. Nothing "bad" about it. It's just expensive and takes a while.

Oh, and "welder person" is an established and respected member of our community. Go troll else where.

Jesus, he's asking a question. It's not trolling.

Guys, we all need to tone it down a bit with the whole thing where everyone jumps to crucify a new account who comes here and asks a question. That is literally what forums like this are for in the first place.

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    OP:

What you need to do is to file a Form 1 (permission to make an NFA firearm) with the ATF and pay them a $200 tax. Then you wait for about nine months for them to do a background check, and they'll return your Form 1 to you with a tax stamp on it. Then and ONLY then you can start making your suppressor. If you have any suppressor parts in your possession ahead of when you get the stamp back then you have broken the law.

He asked how to do it legally, and there are TONS of people on this forum who have already done what he's asking. Nothing "bad" about it. It's just expensive and takes a while.

Guys, we all need to tone it down a bit with the whole thing where everyone jumps to crucify a new account who comes here and asks a question. That is literally what forums like this are for in the first place.

I don't disagree with your point about new members , we can and have been tough on some .
    That is why i wrote a second post wishing him well .

I am a friendly creature and think all should be treated well until otherwise is exposed .
    I meant no harm in any of my postings and will admit and take blame when i make a mistake , that is all i can offer at this point .

balttigger

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2008
    Middle River, MD
    This doesn't seem suspicious to me- especially with his requests in red.

OP- We get a lot of people asking about illegal stuff in their first post ever. So often, that we tend to be suspicious of new members asking about anything controversial. Please go to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself- it helps with the BS meter.

If he is looking to take care of varmints near houses, make sure you follow all THOSE laws too. Get written permission of anyone who is in a house within, what is it now - 150 yards? Also, aren't there areas where discharge of a firearm outside of a certified range is strictly verbotten? I know the city in it's entirety and Baltimore County south of a certain point....

bwags123

Jun 23, 2010
    Parsonsburg
    I’m not sure why it’s such a big deal to people on here what kind of questions you ask for information. WhT difference does it make on a post count. We are all on here for the same reasons and for people to bash someone on a legal way to do something based on a post count is crazy. It just seems like a lot of people have high post counts just by trolling to give people a hard time. This is a great place to gain knowledge but it pisses me off to see this day in and day out.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    OP:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

He did say "LEGALLY"

My only comment about this is that depending what "varmints" we are talking about there are quiet air rifles perfectly suited for small varmints and pest control. A suppressor will run $300 min ($200 tax stamp and $100 form 1 supressor kit) plus 9 months to give birth to the stamp. For $300-400 you can get a very nice air rifle thats pretty quiet and may do the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom