• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • River02

One Ping Only...
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 19, 2015
    Mid-Maryland
    Congratulations! My son moved to the Nashville area right after college...three years ago. Mrs. 02 and I hope to be on our way there in the not too distant future-- another 3 or 4 years. Stay engaged and stay in the fight-- tons of youngsters moving to Tennessee who have dubious 2A credentials due to the fouled up liberal indoctrination system they call "education". Happy Trails and vaya con Dios brother! Oh... and yes--- stay up on MDS--you have now become an ISR asset for the rest of us on 2A conditions in what's left of Free America!

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Escaped MD-stan to WNC Smokies
    Congratulations and I second (or third) the fact that you should stay with this forum. I moved to NC five years ago for the reasons mentioned in this thread and I check in every day.

Same here; heck, two and three times a day for me (this is literally where I get my news; THEN I MIGHT check the WSJ ....)

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    I guess it all depends on what you do but don’t forget that competitively pay doesn’t mean the same pay you are getting here. The cost of living is so low in the south and there are less taxes to be paid (rain tax, flush tax) and those you do pay are generally less. Plus in TN, (essentially) no state income tax. So even a decent drop in salary can overall be an improvement in your economic situation especially so if you’re over the hump in your mortgage here; might not have one there in that case.

Yup. Totally agree. The problem here is that my kids are grown-ish. They are on their own but not yet settled down. I’d hate to move hours and hours away and then have them pair off and reproduce! Lol. Not that I’m planning my life around the unsettled lives of my offspring, but it is a factor to consider. Plus, I need to be near the water. Unfortunately, VA and he The Carolinas get bluer every day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    Yup. Totally agree. The problem here is that my kids are grown-ish. They are on their own but not yet settled down. I’d hate to move hours and hours away and then have them pair off and reproduce! Lol. Not that I’m planning my life around the unsettled lives of my offspring, but it is a factor to consider. Plus, I need to be near the water. Unfortunately, VA and he The Carolinas get bluer every day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No kidding. NC is where my wife is from but we’ve all but abandoned plans for there due to the locust invasion. I guess you might have to settle for a lake.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    No kidding. NC is where my wife is from but we’ve all but abandoned plans for there due to the locust invasion. I guess you might have to settle for a lake.

Ha ha. No! As it is, I’m sweating the idea of moving away from the Bay!

Isn’t it weird how people leave a place they don’t like and then try to make their new place exactly like what they just fled?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012

???????????????????? What part of NC is this occurring in? Not Western, fwiw. Then again, we are waterfront on a lake (does that matter, somehow?)

In case I am missing something (happens A LOT! :-), I checked here, also: Cicada Mania ("stragglers" maybe?): https://www.cicadamania.com/where.html

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Best wishes with your moves. I'm looking to relocate, too. TN has many pluses including those mentioned by owgriffin. Is there a part with warmer winters and cooler summers than the DC area?

Having been a few times and having friends I several parts of TN...

No.

Living in the mountains is the closest, but generally it’s still going to be warmer year round than the DC area. Not in the mountains, it is a lot hotter.

That’s half the reason I won’t live in the south. I hate the heat. Which is half the reason once I hit retirement I will be leaving MD for somewhere further north unless my kids are mostly or all staying here. If they scatter, where I live isn’t going to be dependent at all on where any of them are.

Considering NH/VT and also AK. Cold doesn’t bother me. Of course I say that in my mid 30s. I might feel different in 15 or 20 years.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess it all depends on what you do but don’t forget that competitively pay doesn’t mean the same pay you are getting here. The cost of living is so low in the south and there are less taxes to be paid (rain tax, flush tax) and those you do pay are generally less. Plus in TN, (essentially) no state income tax. So even a decent drop in salary can overall be an improvement in your economic situation especially so if you’re over the hump in your mortgage here; might not have one there in that case.

Yup, a lot of that. That is about half of the other half of the reason I am pretty sure I won’t stay in MD. Honestly politics doesn’t bother me enough to flee. It DOES generally bother me, but not enough to force me out. Climate, over population and cost of living are what I don’t like. Then again even western MD would go a long way towards fixing some of that. A few degrees cooler higher up, much lower cost of land and houses and fewer people. That would probably be my choice if my kids stay in the state. My wife doesn’t want to move to PA or WV and frankly I don’t like NOVA and DE and eastern shire are too flat for me.

Anyway, my current house and acreage even over in CC would be about 1/4-1/3 less than I paid for it in HoCo.

Which also means lower property taxes.

Looking at stuff even just in western MD I could probably buy or build a place 2/3rds the size of my current house (it’s big) on 10-30 acres and if my house is paid off or nearly paid off in 20 years probably have no mortgage and $50-150k in my pocket for the difference in house and land prices. And also be paying half the property taxes.

Getting out of the state though would mean the same (or a little better) and likely also having lower taxes on my pension or possibly no state taxes on my pension (as some state don’t tax federal pensions at all).

All that means I could probably afford to retire a year or two, if not 3 or 4 years sooner with the same standard of living. Real dang attractive.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland
    ???????????????????? What part of NC is this occurring in? Not Western, fwiw. Then again, we are waterfront on a lake (does that matter, somehow?)

In case I am missing something (happens A LOT! :-), I checked here, also: Cicada Mania ("stragglers" maybe?): https://www.cicadamania.com/where.html

Sorry, I meant the libs. They are the locusts that destroy a place, move on and do the same thing in the next place.

rob

DINO Extraordinaire
    Oct 11, 2010
    Augusta, GA
    Wife wants warmer than MD but still east coast.
    I want as red as possible.

SC looks as red as I can get on the east coast. Here's hoping that SC will stay red through my retirement.

They seceded before, maybe I'll get lucky and they'll do it again!

Rob.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

slsc98

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 24, 2012
    Sorry, I meant the libs. They are the locusts that destroy a place, move on and do the same thing in the next place.

Oh sh*t, yes, okay, gotcha. Shaking my head as there is one from New York just about a mile-and-a-half down the road :mad54:

From what I’ve observed, NC is similar to MD in at least one respect and that is the state is largely divided with resident and “born and bred” libtards the densest to the East and solidly conservative regions largely comprising the West (akin to Western MD and shrinking portions of the Eastern Shore)

While there are not any boundaries drawn and the word “western” doesn’t appear on many maps, “Western Carolina” is as distinct to many Carolinians - and especially those of us with conservative values - as is North and South Carolina.

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Wife wants warmer than MD but still east coast.
    Me, too. Especially near the actual coast.

SC looks as red as I can get on the east coast. Here's hoping that SC will stay red through my retirement.

Man, I don’t know. Every time I look at SC - and everyone I see escaping to there - is a little too red (neck) for me. I’m plenty conservative, but I wouldn’t call myself a deplorable. Talk about a man without a country! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Problem is every crack pot liberal that’s voted to regulated themselves into tax hell and and red tape central from all the northern and mid Atlantic states, all flee the shitholes they’ve created, for more freedom and less taxes to the south eastern east coast as well.

Worst part is, they’re bringing their utopian and guilt ridden politics with them. Virginia’s cooked already, and North Carolina and especially Florida, aren't far behind.

South Carolina is already starting to get infested with New York and New Jersey vermin, especially in the Charleston and mount pleasant area. I’ve seen it myself while visiting. The locals hate it, but are powerless to stop it.

Congrats. Wife and I chose the Gettysburg area for our "escape". Still need to be close to the grandkids and it's beautiful. She wants further south but, I can't stand the heat. I won't give up but, I fear this state is doomed. Move can't get here fast enough for us!

As I grow older, I find it increasingly difficult to balance 2a vs convenience of location vs staying married. Congrats for finding your balance. Enjoy your freedoms.
    Though I live in a hotbed of progressivism, and disagree with the politics, I still have friends and strong connections to the community. It won't be before I get a knock on the door, that the realization that I should have left will set in. As with many, I am my own worst enemy. That truth is one that surely will never change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom