• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Wasn’t there another thread very similar to this one? Anyways, I posted there that I was having issues with my 1895gbl shooting extremely low at 50 yards. The fit and finish of the rifle are great. I debated sending the rifle back, because of it shooting so low. The rifle has been sitting in the safe, not being used, so last week I decided to mount a cheap scoop on it, I had laying around.
    It’s a straight 4X scope, and once sighted in I got a 3 shot cloverleaf group, from the bench, right above the bullseye. All the bullet holes were touching. Then I moved out to 100 yards, and got another group, exactly like the one I shot at 50 yards.
    This thing shoots great, but don’t expect the iron sights, to work correctly.
    Now that I know the gun will shoot, I’ll be putting on a better quality scope. I’ll probably go with a straight 4X Leupold, as this will be a 150 yard max hunting rig. Most of the shots, where I’d take this rifle hunting are more like bow hunting ranges, 25-30 yards.

I took the scope off of my 1895 and put Skinner sights on it

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I took the scope off of my 1895 and put Skinner sights on it

I thought about the skinner sights, but didn’t want the thing to still shot low with them installed. I have them on another rifle, and like them a lot. I was so frustrated with the rifle shooting low, that I put a cheap scope on it, just to see if it would hold a group. As I said it shoots extremely well.
    Now I’m looking at putting a better scope on the rifle, I’m thinking a Nikon or Leupold straight 4X or 6x? Anyone has any suggestions?

I own several lever actions, and this is the only one that will be scoped. To me lever actions, should be keep with open sights, as the scope really hurts their handiness. This one will only be scoped because of problems with the sights.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I put a Williams (IIRC) receiver peep sight on mine. Works well.

Yes the WILLIAMS sights are nice. Like I said I didn’t what to put another set of sights on the rifle, for fear of it still shooting low.
    I figured the scope would have more adjustments for me to make it shot, as the scope sits higher than any open sight, or peep sight system.
    With the standard/ stock buckhorn sights, with the elevation all the way up, I was shooting 18 inches low at 50 yards. No way I was going to spend a lot of money just to see if it would work. I had a scope rings and a mount laying around not being used, so I went with that. If I couldn’t get it to shoot to point of aim with a scope the rifle was going back to MARLIN/ Remington, for repair.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    That is a .18” to .19” correction. Pretty steep.
    Sounds like you need a shorter front sight. Marlin may offer that free of cost. Or a dovetail was milled at an incorrect height above bore. Good luck with that.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    That is a .18” to .19” correction. Pretty steep.
    Sounds like you need a shorter front sight. Marlin may offer that free of cost. Or a dovetail was milled at an incorrect height above bore. Good luck with that.

Yes, I contacted Marlin, I told them I was using factory loads, and I wanted them to send me a taller front sight. They told me they would not send me the parts and I would have to send the rifle back to them for repairs. He said they would test fire the rifle, and if they had the same results they would repair it. I really didn’t want to send the rifle back, and couldn’t find anyone other then Skinner sights, who offered taller sights. I was afraid that the barrel was drooping, and maybe a taller sight wouldn’t fix the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom