• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JamesBarto

Feb 19, 2019
    Harford County
    Hello,
    I need suggestions for purchasing a complete upper receiver for an AR15. I’ve been eyeing Del-Ton just because of the reviews but I heard the wait time is somewhat long. Any suggestions about it? Having to deal with Del-Ton in the past? Or any other manufactures that are highly recommended as an alternative? Looking at something in the $300-$700 range which is pretty broad. Thanks for your feedback

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    What lower do you have? IMHO, resale is better if the gun looks like it was suppose to go together. Plus there is less chance that they don't fit together.

zoopal

Jun 13, 2013
    Hello,
    I need suggestions for purchasing a complete upper receiver for an AR15. I’ve been eyeing Del-Ton just because of the reviews but I heard the wait time is somewhat long. Any suggestions about it? Having to deal with Del-Ton in the past? Or any other manufactures that are highly recommended as an alternative? Looking at something in the $300-$700 range which is pretty broad. Thanks for your feedback
    Palmetto state armory (PSA) is cheap and good for me. I bought some in the past and had never had any problem.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    If you want accuracy, please take a look at white oak armament. The varmit complete upper will be in the $700 price rang but should be a real shooter! I have one, worth the $ and wait time if your looking for a longer range type upper.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Right now I have a spikes lower

Well, I would first look at Spikes if I was you unless you have reason to look elsewhere.

Standard upper... should be fine if this is a Pre-2013 lower. If a new lower, than maybe they can toss a Heavy Barrel on it for you?:
    products-STU5025-M4S_One.jpg

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/complete-uppers/5-56-m4-carbine-16/

If you want to run optics in the future...get one with a rail where you get no front sight.

Frankly, there is not a ton of difference between the standard uppers. We shoot MGs and I have guys showing up with real expensive upper and junk. Most work ok. You get a bit of tolerance difference between them. That and resale is why I would try and stick with the same brand.

All this said, you don't really say what you want to use it for? General shooting, the above upper will work fine. Target shooting? 9mm? 300 blackout... I mean there is a ton you can get. However for a standard gun, the above upper will give you a complete rifle that makes sense and should work. If you ever need to sell, its not a mismatched rifle begging the question to the buyer of what the hell was happening with this gun.

That said, I have a Spikes lower (Pre 2013) that I bought for my youngest kid to shoot. Well he turned into a lefty... so I ended up with a left handed Stag upper on that lower. My older son who I already knew was a lefty I bought a Stag lower for and so his gun is matching Stag gun. Who would have guessed 3 left handed kids... If the youngest would have been right handed, he would have gotten the upper above. I figured this was a good start and we can change things from there as they grow up.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    Well, I would first look at Spikes if I was you unless you have reason to look elsewhere.

Standard upper... should be fine if this is a Pre-2013 lower:

https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/complete-uppers/5-56-m4-carbine-16/

If you want to run optics in the future...get one with a rail where you get no front sight.

Frankly, there is not a ton of difference between the standard uppers. We shoot MGs and I have guys showing up with real expensive upper and junk. Most work ok. You get a bit of tolerance difference between them. That and resale is why I would try and stick with the same brand.

All this said, you don't really say what you want to use it for? General shooting, the above upper will work fine. Target shooting? 9mm? 300 blackout... I mean there is a ton you can get. However for a standard gun, the above upper will give you a complete rifle that makes sense and should work. If you ever need to sell, its not a mismatched rifle begging the question to the buyer of what the hell was happening with this gun.

That said, I have a Spikes lower (Pre 2013) that I bought for my youngest kid to shoot. Well he turned into a lefty... so I ended up with a left handed Stag upper on that lower. My older son who I already knew was a lefty I bought a Stag lower for and so his gun is matching Stag gun. Who would have guessed 3 left handed kids... If the youngest would have been right handed, he would have gotten the upper above. I figured this was a good start and we can change things from there as they grow up.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing this is probably a post 2013 lower.

Edit: Looks like according to the OP's post here he just bought the lower this year. https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?p=5517354#post5517354

so that M4 profile is a no go.

PorP

Mar 11, 2016
    I have a few Del-ton's, PSA, radical firearms, and some home mades.i don't think you can go wrong with any of them. I have no intention of being a 700yd shooter and therefore focus on them firing every time, which the all do.

One note, the radical firearms took a lot of grinding on the feed ramps for it to cycle right. That said, it is 7.62x39 which are notorious for feed issues in the AR platform.

All that said... you're budget would yield a really nice upper build, a really nice barrel and nickel BCG are sub $200 each. The rest can cost around $110 (muzzle break, charge handle, upper reciever, forward assist, dust cover) or so and the tooling you need is less than $100 (upper receiver clamp and barrel nut wrench).

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    Hello,

If you want something a little unconventional, try going with one of the Taiwanese T91 piston uppers that Wolf is importing now. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and right now Atlantic has the 16" one for $449.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/wolf-a1-upper

As far as deals go, that's in Poverty State Armory territory.

And because it's a piston upper, you don't have to worry about HBAR compliance because in the eyes of MSP it isn't even an AR15.

Furthermore, they look filthy, almost like a Sig 556, and doubly-so with an M4 stock, A2 grip, and a carry handle rear sight. And fwiw, because of its Taiwanese provenance, you're buying an upper literally designed to repel communism. I've got no horse in this game, other than having a half-taiwanese girlfriend in highschool, I guess, but the t91 upper is definitely on my "buy soon" list.

Attachments

• GW-1803-T91-14.jpg
      GW-1803-T91-14.jpg
      25.6 KB · Views: 694
    • IMG_5775.jpg
      IMG_5775.jpg
      68.8 KB · Views: 723

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If you want something a little unconventional, try going with one of the Taiwanese T91 piston uppers that Wolf is importing now. I've heard nothing but good things about them, and right now Atlantic has the 16" one for $449.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/products/wolf-a1-upper

As far as deals go, that's in Poverty State Armory territory.

And because it's a piston upper, you don't have to worry about HBAR compliance because in the eyes of MSP it isn't even an AR15.

Furthermore, they look filthy, almost like a Sig 556, and doubly-so with an M4 stock, A2 grip, and a carry handle rear sight. And fwiw, because of its Taiwanese provenance, you're buying an upper literally designed to repel communism. I've got no horse in this game, other than having a half-taiwanese girlfriend in highschool, I guess, but the t91 upper is definitely on my "buy soon" list.

My only concern is lack of shell deflector, being left handed.

Edited:

Not left handed friendly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom