• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake4U

Now with 67% more FJB
    Sep 1, 2018
    As tempting as it would be troll him by sending one in his name (on the off chance they actually return it or reply to it), the letter bears a signature, and that would be naughty. I frequently take the sarcastic and satirical rhetorical road, but I do try to take the high one. Now, sending his office thousands of copies of all of our letters ... hmmm.

Hopefully thousands send one in to the ATF ...

FGT1958

I didn't see anything about grandfathering in the bill, and I will admit it has been some time since I read it. So I am sending in letters for myself and all my family members. You never know who may be in possession of one of those devices at any point in time. Better to have everyone covered so that there are no issues down the road.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    Sent my gun oil permission letter - if it pleases the crown.

I don't own any of the devices that were intended.

Can a can of Ballistol be brought into the MGA on gun bill day?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    I didn't see anything about grandfathering in the bill, and I will admit it has been some time since I read it. So I am sending in letters for myself and all my family members. You never know who may be in possession of one of those devices at any point in time. Better to have everyone covered so that there are no issues down the road.

How many firearms have short-reset triggers, and if not SRTs, an owner or gunsmith installed lightened trigger to improve accuracy that as a byproduct, also allows it to be pulled more rapidly in succession? The judge used a reductio ad absurdum argument to make a point about his concern that gun owners could be in violation of this law by October 1 if they didn't first seek permission from ATF.

If he thought it serious enough that it would broadly affect MD gun owners, putting a halt to delay implementation of the law, forcing the state to put out an ad campaign that MD resident's 2A rights might be in peril if they didn't seek permission from ATF, etc, would have comported better with the spirit of the suggestion that he gave the complainants in the district court hearing. This law affects more than just them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Would this "proof of application" be a range bag item or a court room item?

me: pew, pew, pew
    leo: you were shooting pretty fast do you have oil on your trigger?
    me: Yup
    leo: It is Oct.2nd come with me.
    me: but I have proof of application to the atf
    leo: Tell it to the judge, do you own any other firearms?

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I wonder of all those Glock triggers and spring kits will soon be listed on the NFA page. Those Cowboy Action Shooters will soon be felons too. This is a KrAZy state we live in to be sure........

rambling_one

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Bowie, MD
    Letter went certified mail, return receipt requested. Tracking number shows acceptance by post office and with expected delivery time of late Wednesday. As T45 says, "We'll see."

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Just finished sending mine, first class, certified mail, return receipt: $6.70.

No problems encountered with zip code (20226). The certified mail even had 20226 printed on it by their computer. I didn't use any automation - just went to the counter.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    haha

You beat me to it. I wonder if I spoke to the same lady?

She was very nice and said she couldn't understand why the Post Office would say that 20226 is an incorrect zop code.

yeah she chuckled when I said zip code of one.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    ding

Just finished sending mine, first class, certified mail, return receipt: $6.70.

No problems encountered with zip code (20226). The certified mail even had 20226 printed on it by their computer. I didn't use any automation - just went to the counter.

did the exact same today at the Germantown Post Office.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was talking about this with a friend of mine and he asked why I sent the letter delivery confirmation? I told him I wanted something that would prove that I sent the letter before 10/1/2018. He said how would I be able to prove it to the state of Maryland. He said that all that receipt shows is that you sent SOMETHING to the ATF. Not necessarily THE letter.

So I'm going to ask the braintrust of MDS. Did sending the letter with a Delivery Confirmation actual do anything as far as the state of Maryland is concerned?

Thanks!

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    I was talking about this with a friend of mine and he asked why I sent the letter delivery confirmation? I told him I wanted something that would prove that I sent the letter before 10/1/2018. He said how would I be able to prove it to the state of Maryland. He said that all that receipt shows is that you sent SOMETHING to the ATF. Not necessarily THE letter.

So I'm going to ask the braintrust of MDS. Did sending the letter with a Delivery Confirmation actual do anything as far as the state of Maryland is concerned?

Thanks!

This is why I printed a copy of the e-mail I sent to the ATF.

It has the ATF e-mail address on it. Date too.

I know the ATF received it because I didn't receive an undeliverable alert in my e-mail program. Just an "e-mail sent".

As for the ATF receiving SOMETHING by mail, that kinda makes sense. The state would have to believe that you're a kinder, gentler, non lying, sort of bitter clinger.

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD

Thanks!
    Same thing with your tax return... You only know it was received when your check is cashed by IRS.

There was a court case years ago in which couple paid taxes, but IRS for whatever reason didn't get/process the check [maybe it wasn't in the envelope, can't remember].

IRS, judge, and couple all agreed taxes mailed, but IRS won because check hadn't been cashed.

We can only prove something was mailed. Like CLEO notification for C$R license - there's nothing to prove what you mailed is actual license application.

In this case, MAYBE ATF sends back a "nothing burger letter". If so, that's the proof. If it goes into trash, then the only word is yours and your mail receipt. I would hope that raises reasonable doubt if it ever came down to it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I know the ATF received it because I didn't receive an undeliverable alert in my e-mail program. Just an "e-mail sent".

On this and EVERYTHING that you rely on email to deliver, never assume that the lack of a bounce notice or undeliverable response means your mail got to the person that's supposed to read it. Unless you explicitly ask for a reply confirming a receipt AND GET ONE, you know nothing about this. It's perfectly normal for mail to get "delivered" to an organization's mail server, where it is then promptly thrown out with the spam before being relayed to the intended recipient. No notice back to you, but no email delivered, either. This is often a very deliberate behavior on the receiving end, designed to black hole incoming spam without giving the sender(s) any feedback about which addresses are good or bad.

A physical delivery receipt or emailed carrier alert with a scanned signature (in my case, a priority mail envelop with signature required delivery) is far, far more reliable that a seemingly un-bounced email.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom