• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I picked up a new chrome slick side AR BCG and the finish is scratched. I'm not sure if that's what it's supposed to look like, but the ones online don't look the same.

Thoughts? Should I request a replacement?

Mine:
    6DBPdT7h.png

xIOkTdxh.png

Picture Online:
    sRgRkHbh.png

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    Well I'd just use it if it were me. It's a mat Chrome so rubs will show up much easier than if it were a black oxide unit.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I wouldn’t worry about it, I’d think it would look that way after a few hundred rounds anyways.

Just think, you got a battle worn finish at no extra charge :)

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    It's not scratched. Most likely it's just been sitting in a bin with others. Those finishes aren't impervious, and what you see in online photos is rarely going to be what you buy. That's a nice matte finish and a cool bcg!
    If you don't want it, I'll accept a donation.....

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    Point taken. The rifle isn't going to be in any beauty contests and i plan on shooting it. Guess i was just being overly critical.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    I'd wipe it with a little oil and see if the scratch is still there.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    that is the stuff they polish off to get you the shiny finish. its fine unless you can see the base metal below.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    I'll see if i can polish it up a bit. May make me feel better lol

It's ok. Don't let it bother you.

Nice BCG. Building a retro AR?

Yep, just getting around to building one of the Nodak trigger upper and lower combos Engage was selling last year.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I'll see if i can polish it up a bit. May make me feel better lol

Yep, just getting around to building one of the Nodak trigger upper and lower combos Engage was selling last year.

I have plans to do restomod build using that upper. Cant wait to see pics. :innocent0

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    It's ok. Don't let it bother you.

Nice BCG. Building a retro AR?
    What do you think about chrome as a BCG coating? I know that was used early on in the design.

To the OP: seems fine to me. I have a Stag chrome bcg in my competition AR that looked pretty similar when I got it. It's been fine and I've seen no evidence of the finish chipping off into the chamber.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    What do you think about chrome as a BCG coating? I know that was used early on in the design.

To the OP: seems fine to me. I have a Stag chrome bcg in my competition AR that looked pretty similar when I got it. It's been fine and I've seen no evidence of the finish chipping off into the chamber.

I have a few.

If an AR owner likes to clean his gun after shooting it's great. The chrome often prevents people from doing damage because the finish is so hard and its generally easier to clean them too.

The down side is they can have short headspace issues on some barrels and the coating tends to shed lube faster than phosphate which means you have to keep a closer eye on it.

From my understanding, they dumped the original chroming due to embrittlement issues, but who knows for sure? There are so many false stories surrounding the AR and M16 it's hard to distinguish fact from for tion. My sense is it was probably dumped as a cost thing.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    I have a few.

If an AR owner likes to clean his gun after shooting it's great. The chrome often prevents people from doing damage because the finish is so hard and its generally easier to clean them too.

The down side is they can have short headspace issues on some barrels and the coating tends to shed lube faster than phosphate which means you have to keep a closer eye on it.

From my understanding, they dumped the original chroming due to embrittlement issues, but who knows for sure? There are so many false stories surrounding the AR and M16 it's hard to distinguish fact from for tion. My sense is it was probably dumped as a cost thing.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, as always. I went with chrome on that particular rifle because I tend to put 300-400 rounds through it at a time when I use it. Somewhere in the 800-1000 round range is where I prefer to clean my rifles, so it works out pretty well for me. I don't really mess with the barrel until I start seeing groups open up when I confirm zero prior to matches, classes, shenanigans, etc. Then I'll typically strip the barrel down and refoul/reconfirm zero once I'm able to.

Thankfully headspacing is good on that rifle (first one I checked with the gauges I bought from you actually) is good. As I said, finish on the part seems fine and it holds lube pretty well. I'll definitely start keeping an eye out for cracking or anything else funny as I approach 10k rounds on the rifle, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom