• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I got industrious last night and installed the S2-USA 870 Safety Lever on my Rem 870. (Don't bother trying to buy it from them, they're out of business now.) Haven't seen a decent review of this anywhere on the web, so going to give my two cents.

It is a drop-in replacement to the cross-bolt safety. I can't stand cross-bolt safeties, and I double-plus hate them on pistol grip guns, so this was my attempt to remedy that. I know that's controversial and non-traditional, but I set out to solve problems in the best way I can.

Install is simple, and very similar to the factory safety. You do need to unscrew the back of the safety to get the "drum" in, but once you've done that, you're in pretty good shape. I did find that I needed to unscrew and reorient the safety lever as well - not sure if that was me messing up or whatever, but it wasn't a big deal once I figured it out. It appears that the safety is also reversible, so lefties can be accommodated. (Can't make any wrong-handed jokes since my son is a lefty, ah well.)

It sticks out a fair bit from the receiver. This is not a bad thing, since it will clear whatever pistol grip stock adapter you're using. Unfortunately, the Mesa High-Tube adapter I'm using sticks the pistol grip a fair distance from the trigger, so it's a bit tricky to thumb the safety on from a firing grip - think along the lines of the HK roller-lock safeties. You can do it, but it's easier to shift your hand a bit, or do it while you're raising the gun into firing position. It would have been nice if they had offered a longer lever for use with Mesa setups, but maybe I'll see if a Battle Arms safety lever or similar is compatible with their system. (Worst case... 3D printer.) To be fair, reaching the factory safety button is also a PITA with the Mesa, so I think other adapters that place the pistol grip closer to the trigger would be more comfortable. Factory non-PG stocks also look like they'd work well.

In use, the safety moves smoothly and functions properly, so no complaints there. Since it's somewhat forward, it doesn't interfere with the trigger pull.

I don't think I'd call it a must-have upgrade, but if you're like me and can never remember which way the cross-bolt safety button goes, it scratches that itch quite nicely. I would certainly put it on the next 870 I buy, assuming I can find another one.

Attachments

• 870 safety lever.jpg
      870 safety lever.jpg
      120 KB · Views: 175

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads