• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STeveZ

Thank you, Abelard
    Sep 22, 2011
    Aberdeen, MD
    Re: the OP. I bought a Weatherby SA-08 Waterfowler, used for cheap and am very pleased with it. You can buy them on-line, new for cheap and they'll do everything you need them to do.

A while back I hefted all the B-guns and came away liking the Browning Maxus the best. Make that, only liking the Browning Maxus. Looked good, felt good and I trust Browning to deliver value and reliability.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Re: the OP. I bought a Weatherby SA-08 Waterfowler, used for cheap and am very pleased with it. You can buy them on-line, new for cheap and they'll do everything you need them to do.

A while back I hefted all the B-guns and came away liking the Browning Maxus the best. Make that, only liking the Browning Maxus. Looked good, felt good and I trust Browning to deliver value and reliability.

Idk why but I love the way the Beretta feels. It's $975 new.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Idk why but I love the way the Beretta feels. It's $975 new.

Guns feel different to everybody. What works for me will not work for somebody else. For clays, I like the longer LOP on my Berettas. However, when hunting with a waterfowl parka on, the Benelli with the shorter LOP comes up just like my Berettas do in the warmer weather. With the Berettas and Benellis, I can set the drop in the comb with the shims and I have all of them set up the same way.

Then, there is balance, hand size, etc. Lots of things that determine whether a gun feels "right".

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    The Beretta would be a good choice. I'd go for the Winchester SX3 or SX4. You can find the SX3 at $1k or less. Cabelas usually has them. It has the Browning gold gas system. I have a Maxus and love it.
    When I had a SBE2, it sucked to shoot 3.5s. It also rusted. Nicely made.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    Guns feel different to everybody. What works for me will not work for somebody else. For clays, I like the longer LOP on my Berettas. However, when hunting with a waterfowl parka on, the Benelli with the shorter LOP comes up just like my Berettas do in the warmer weather. With the Berettas and Benellis, I can set the drop in the comb with the shims and I have all of them set up the same way.

Then, there is balance, hand size, etc. Lots of things that determine whether a gun feels "right".

The Beretta felt better than the SBE3 to me. The versa max felt fat and heavy.

The Beretta would be a good choice. I'd go for the Winchester SX3 or SX4. You can find the SX3 at $1k or less. Cabelas usually has them. It has the Browning gold gas system. I have a Maxus and love it.

Haven't seen the Winchesters yet, waiting on my next trip to cabelas or the sportsmans show in Feb to check one out.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    The Beretta felt better than the SBE3 to me. The versa max felt fat and heavy.

Haven't seen the Winchesters yet, waiting on my next trip to cabelas or the sportsmans show in Feb to check one out.

Make sure you are shouldering the gun while wearing the jacket you will be using while hunting. The Benelli feels short to me when I am wearing a t-shirt.

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    They will have everything you'll want to look at. You'll pass Basspro on the way there. Plus, Cabelas in Hamburg about 30 or so minutes away.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD
    I owned a versamax sportsman for a while and liked it, and I recently tried out a friends Remington V3 and really liked it as well. V3 camo is sub $1k and seemed like a darn fine gun for the price to me.

Full disclosure, I ended up with a Beretta A400 extreme unico bc it just felt like butter. Works well for a back up clays gun in a pinch too

9516359512981c34e29e503d31006c4c.jpg

fc5b661dbc4bf49acf3d01c196c57dce.jpg

Good luck in your decision OP.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    I owned a versamax sportsman for a while and liked it, and I recently tried out a friends Remington V3 and really liked it as well. V3 camo is sub $1k and seemed like a darn fine gun for the price to me.

Full disclosure, I ended up with a Beretta A400 extreme unico bc it just felt like butter. Works well for a back up clays gun in a pinch too

9516359512981c34e29e503d31006c4c.jpg

fc5b661dbc4bf49acf3d01c196c57dce.jpg

Good luck in your decision OP.

The Beretta a350 is more in my price range and holy hell does it feel nice.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Works well for a back up clays gun in a pinch too

There's no shame in breaking clays with your duck gun. Actually its pretty satisfying when you beat a bunch of guys with fancy guns. :innocent0

My Browning Maxus has been flawless. You can get its first cousin, the Winchester SX3/4 for under $1000.

DJones2987

Dec 6, 2016
    Hagerstown
    There's no shame in breaking clays with your duck gun. Actually its pretty satisfying when you beat a bunch of guys with fancy guns. :innocent0

My Browning Maxus has been flawless. You can get its first cousin, the Winchester SX3/4 for under $1000.

The Winchester sx4 I'm hoping to get my hands on at the sportsmans show and see how it feels. Thanks for the reminder on that one lol.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    The Winchester sx4 I'm hoping to get my hands on at the sportsmans show and see how it feels. Thanks for the reminder on that one lol.

My son has an SX3 (two actually a camo one and the sporting one) and he'd be happy to let you shoot it. Its a solid gun and the price is right.

El_flasko

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 16, 2008
    Abingdon, MD

Agreed. My friend had the browning Maxus and it’s was a Damn fine gun. I just fit the beretta a bit better. I like shooting clays with my beretta, but my lazy butt hates bending over to pick up shells. Lol. I’ll stick with my CG for clays when possible.

OP - you like the sportsman, it’s a nice SG just doesn’t have all the frills. Good luck on your decision either way

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy

I have an SX2, and other than wiping out the barrel, I only clean it at the end of the season, or after I've hunted in the rain. It goes bang every time. 3.5's all day doesn't hurt you too much either.

I can't speak to how it patterns as compared to other guns, but I've done well with it at trap when I've taken it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom