Justice Department and ATF Begin Regulatory Process to Determine Whether Bump Stocks

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cechk01

Oct 2, 2015
    PRMD
    https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/just...ory-process-determine-whether-bump-stocks-are
    The Department of Justice and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) announced today that it has begun the process of promulgating a federal regulation interpreting the definition of “machinegun” under federal law to clarify whether certain bump stock devices fall within that definition.

"The Department of Justice has the duty to enforce our laws, protect our rights, and keep the American people safe," Attorney General Sessions said. "Possessing firearm parts that are used exclusively in converting a weapon into a machine gun is illegal, except for certain limited circumstances. Today we begin the process of determining whether or not bump stocks are covered by this prohibition. We will go through the regulatory process that is required by law and we will be attentive to input from the public. This Department is serious about firearms offenses, as shown by the dramatic increase in firearms prosecutions this year. The regulatory clarification we begin today will help us to continue to protect the American people by carrying out the laws duly enacted by our representatives in Congress."

ATF has taken the initial step in this regulatory process by drafting an Advanced Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (ANPRM) and submitting it to the Office of Management and Budget. The ANPRM will provide the public and industry the opportunity to submit formal comments to ATF about bump stocks to inform ATF’s decision regarding further steps in the rulemaking process. The federal rulemaking process follows procedures required by the Administrative Procedure Act (APA). ATF and the Department will proceed in accordance with this process as quickly as possible.

The National Firearms Act of 1934 (NFA) and Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) strictly regulate the possession and transfer of machineguns, making it unlawful for any person to possess a machinegun that was not lawfully possessed prior to the statute’s effective date. Manufacturers and inventors may voluntarily submit devices to ATF for a “classification,” that is, a determination as to whether the device is considered a firearm or machinegun under federal law. If a device is not classified as a firearm or machinegun, it is deemed to be a part or accessory that is not subject to regulation by ATF.

Reptile

Ultimate Member
    Sep 29, 2014
    Columbia MD
    It appears that a bump stock falls within the classification described in the final sentence of the DOJ statement and is not subject to regulation by the ATF. A stock is not a firearm. Then again, a suppressor is not a firearm and the ATF regulates them.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    This is what happens when AG Jeff Sessions orders the ATF and FBI to look at current firearm regulations.

Nothing good coming from it still stands.

It appears that a bump stock falls within the classification described in the final sentence of the DOJ statement and is not subject to regulation by the ATF. A stock is not a firearm. Then again, a suppressor is not a firearm and the ATF regulates them.

QFT,not to split hairs but their stance has always been "1 pull of trigger = 1 bullet" and slide-fire/bump-stocks were approved by them.:sad20:

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    I have no confidence that in this political climate the ATF (and certinally not the States) will do the right thing.

Additional infringements on the horizon.

Unfortunately, there is no way to make a ruling without affecting a whole host of firearm accessories, such as triggers, bcg's, buffers, etc... that can allow a faster trigger pull. I don't think we want to let them (the ATF) go down that hole.

Exuberon

Aug 8, 2017
    Southern Virginia
    Bump stocks were just a loophole device for getting around full auto (MG) prohibition/regulations. I feel many of those that have these devices, derail and damage the credibility of 2A rights and ownership.

I personally don't believe there are too many instances where a civilian "needs" or has a "right" to fully automatic weapons.

However, like other firearm prohibition/ban milestones.... if you feel you NEED to have one of these; I suggest you get one while you still can.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    And I think you should drive a car with a lawnmower engine because who needs 380 HP to drive the speed limit?

Want up play the “needs” game there, chief?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Bump stocks were just a loophole device for getting around full auto (MG) prohibition/regulations. I feel many of those that have these devices, derail and damage the credibility of 2A rights and ownership.

I personally don't believe there are too many instances where a civilian "needs" or has a "right" to fully automatic weapons.

However, like other firearm prohibition/ban milestones.... if you feel you NEED to have one of these; I suggest you get one while you still can.

So some infringements are ok ?

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia

Sounds like something a gun grabber would say.

Todd S

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2012
    Glen Rock, PA

I sure am glad the founding fathers wrote the Bill of Needs... :sad20:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    On the question that a bump stock is a stock and not a firearm, didn't they also rule on some stocks that had spring action to them in order to increase rate of fire, that those were not legal/allowable?

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    Oh, what about the trigger that had a three letter name or ?? escapes me now? some sort of sear I think. Some were sold and someone made them illegal.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan

I'll take: "Things I never thought I'd read on a shooter's forum" for a thousand, Alex.

ironpony

MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Davidsonville
    This poor member ...

Do you remember reading about us citizens battling the British with the most advanced arms we had?

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    On the question that a bump stock is a stock and not a firearm, didn't they also rule on some stocks that had spring action to them in order to increase rate of fire, that those were not legal/allowable?

There are no bump stocks or bump brackets on the market with springs on them.

You may be referring to the Akins Accelerator which was approved then recalled/banned.

There are cam/crank devices mountable inside the trigger guard that activate the trigger, but there are no springs there either...but those are just dumb.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

Interesting thoughts from a guy with "Molon labe" in his avatar. :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom