• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    Just looking for some ideas about a possible career change. I'm 29 yrs old, I have a bachelors degree in Business Management and I have been a police officer for 6 years, the last 3 as a detective. Thinking about leaving this career to do something different, just not sure what. This career isn't what it once was and I am looking for something that will make my family and I happier! Open to any suggestions.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Discussion #1 - The field is wide open for absolutely anthing relating to business or management, and having nothing to do with LE.

Discussion #2 - You are asking for ideas for careers in the private sector with some relevence to either investigating into certain *situations* or preventing certian *situations* , but not front line enforcement.

As a trivia , at one point I knew several former LE who left after being stressed over shooting too many people ( all justifiably , just too many too often), who were all managers of Roy Rogers restraunts.

gabe72

Ultimate Member
    Aug 26, 2012
    sharpsburg
    If you are a good people person car sales can real good but there are a lot of people in that line that have sucked at everything they ever did, that's why a good salesperson makes good money with repeat buyers, just a thought

strapped

Aug 27, 2012
    Carroll County
    The location and agency are certainly part of it. But I am also just wondering if there is anything in the private sector where I could still use my skill set and degree and make comparable salary.

c4snipar

Ultimate Member
    Jul 21, 2014
    Montgomery County, MD
    I know several former officers been on the job close to 10 years to include a sergeant who left. One now working in the IT field, and soon making way more money plus he will have a normal schedule. This job is not for everyone

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Wouldn't that be Skill Set OR degree ? Not picking, just that the overlap is a lot smaller than either one by themselves.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    BG&E as well as just about every other large cooperation have internal investigators and I would think with your degree and training you could do well. Might be worth it to look into that. With a degree and a bit of time you can probably secure a management position but a lot of these are "who you know" type positions.

I would start looking at federal jobs if you enjoy the "investigation" side of things and not the dealing with all turds side of things. The alphabet soup folks I know have a completely different jobs even the investigators.

If you want to do something completely different then you need to find out what intrigues you. I think you will have a hard time matching benefits and pay in the private sector though starting out later in life.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    Most large banks and finacial institutions have fraud investigators on staff. Bankers hours are generally good.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Most large banks and finacial institutions have fraud investigators on staff. Bankers hours are generally good.

And are already ensconced with retired guys from X dept and keep bringing on their buddies who retire. Cronyism does not just stay within the Fed gov't.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    If you are a good people person car sales can real good but there are a lot of people in that line that have sucked at everything they ever did, that's why a good salesperson makes good money with repeat buyers, just a thought

The best car sales guys are retirees who really do not need the money, per say. They are often relaxed and don't make their customers feel the stress and pressure of the sale. They don't feel the sales meeting pressures like the others do, because a retiree can fricking leave that job any moment they want. :thumbsup:

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Get a CISSP and do IT security. It's a growth field as far as I can tell.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    And have his first assignment in Fargo.
    FBI is kind of finicky with their degrees. IF it's a computer related or financial type degree, they'd probably be interested.

Their interested if you have LE experience and also now days if you speak a language.

First assignment for one agent I'm aware of was Phoenix. I don't know about today, but back then the typical first assignment was NYC.

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    DEA has been hiring like wildfire. A decent mellow gig would be Postal Inspector. Had a few people jump ship and go to them over the years too.

kgain673

I'm sorry for the typos!!
    Dec 18, 2007
    The job ain't what it once was 6 yeas ago??!!! I can understand if you had 20+ but 6 ain't that long ago. Which agency do you work for?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom