• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    That is the statement. Are they really an entry level rifle that works?
    Anyone have personal experience with Hi-Point rifles?
    Anything that should be known about Hi-Point rifles or the company?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

iH8DemLibz

When All Else Fails.
    Apr 1, 2013
    Libtardistan
    Had one. Liked it. No malfunctions. Had the smooth stocked one. Now they come with cheese graters. Great if eating pasta during a SHTF scenario and need to whittle on a block of parmesan.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    First pistol caliber carbine I ever owned, bought as a gift when I hit 18. Plain-Jane 995 (9mm). Wish I never sold it.

Roughly 3500 rounds, could genuinely count the number of malfunctions on 1 hand - all ammo related, it did not like HP ammo, or at least mine didn't. At 50 yards, with the irons, could keep the shots pretty tight. Not a very pretty, or elegant design, but the damn thing worked beautifully.

Customer service was great, my 995 was supposed to ship with a laser (my dad picked that out), but it was left out. They sent me a few magazines and a refund check for the cost of the laser.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County

I have the 995T shot it tons and no problem. Cheap, fun and reliable. Don’t listen to people that say it a POS, they probably never shot one. And they are very customizable.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Like mopeds and fat chicks.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    High Point Carbines are a ton of fun to shoot. In pistol calibers they’re relatively inexpensive to purchase and shoot and no punishing recoil that a larger caliber brings. In fact there’s a heavy dual recoil spring but plate on the stock that pretty much eliminates all recoil altogether. They’re not an “attractive” weapon per se (eye of beholder I suppose - actually kinda weird looking), but I haven’t really heard of any real persistent issues with the platforms. About a year ago these were selling like crazy, folks seem to like them. I like mine. You probably wont win any pistol caliber carbine competitions or long range contests with it, but you’ll have a pretty fun day at the range punching paper or if you’re lucky, on some private land somewhere shooting melons, 2-litre bottles of water, cans, etc... If this will be your only rifle, you can do way, way better and should do better. If you’re looking for a cheap gun to shoot for fun on the cheap, you’ll probably enjoy the heck out of it. Good luck.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Really excellent set of iron sights... I love taking my pair out for a spin. Unless it's cold, then the plastic monkey gun stock will slap the heck out of your cheek. I have an ATI stocked one and while it looks better, it's a lot heavier and not nearly as ergonomic to shoot. Did I mention the iron sights line up about perfect?

Oh yeah, no BS guarantee. If you have the serial number they will send you a replacement for free. Both of mine were used. The monkey stock eventually had the barrel loosen up in the aluminum casting. Sent it in and they pinned it, paid shipping back and included a free mag for my troubles. I don't think I could own a pistol but enjoy the carbine.

Safety is the only thing I'm not overly impressed about. Round needs to be in the chamber before you can put it in safe. Not ideal for training folks on but the carbine is a great shooter.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    They're cheap, ugly , and they work . And the OEM sights are quite usable .

The only real downside is propriety magazines. Not overly expensive , but aftermarket mags ( ie more than 10rds ) not reliable.

Cbrem

Jan 2, 2017
    Carroll County
    I love mine. No problems at all. Will shoot anything. I had it for a year just sitting. Now I want to take it out every time. It was around $300 and worth every penny plus. Don't be a gun snob. The high dollar guns have their place but these do too.

Oddway Otts

Mar 17, 2008
    Harford County
    I was shooting an OLD 995 (9mm) at the range. Aside from a rather heavy trigger pull, it was nice (for an ugly carbine). I felt a bit of cheek slap so the owner stuck on a slip-on recoil pad (an old Outers, I think), and it gave about an inch more pull, which let me hunker down behind the sights comfortably without getting the slap. I've never tried the new version, face stock, but it comes in neat colors!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom