• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crashmore

Dec 28, 2008
    Maryland
    I contemplated on buying a new pistol for a whole year, however, it had to be something that I really wanted. It was a long and difficult choice and finally I decided to purchase a Desert Eagle 50 AE Stainless Steel with 8 muzzle ports. I am very happy with my DE 50. The bullets are a little expensive and it is truly a Useless Pistol but it is Fun to shoot.

What are your thoughts?

Nothing wrong with buying/building just for fun :) I consider my storm trooper 9mm ar pistol build to be firmly in the fun category but it’s brought a lot of enjoyment :)

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Nothing wrong with buying/building just for fun :) I consider my storm trooper 9mm ar pistol build to be firmly in the fun category but it’s brought a lot of enjoyment :)

A 50 Beowulf could also be put in that category. That is until it can be built into a SBR.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Still love that scene in the movie Snatch when Vinnie Jones is confronted by the three guys in the bar and slaps his Desert Eagle on the table and says "being as how YOUR pistol says replica down the side and mine says DESERT EAGLE POINT FIVE OH"

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016
    I contemplated on buying a new pistol for a whole year, however, it had to be something that I really wanted. It was a long and difficult choice and finally I decided to purchase a Desert Eagle 50 AE Stainless Steel with 8 muzzle ports. I am very happy with my DE 50. The bullets are a little expensive and it is truly a Useless Pistol but it is Fun to shoot.

What are your thoughts?

I've totally regretted every hand cannon I've ever purchased!!!! The guns are expensive and you never want to shoot them enough to be worth reloading in that caliber. Ammo is three times the price and stores are often out of stock and when they do stock it, it's never range ammo but the most expensive defensive rounds. If you're are at the range, the concussion tends to annoy those in neighboring lanes. It's not like you can ever use these firearms for CC and they are really impractical for just about every situation including home defense. Will I ever buy another obscenely large caliber and useless handgun?? ABSOLUTELY.

3BMFsbC.png

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Still love that scene in the movie Snatch when Vinnie Jones is confronted by the three guys in the bar and slaps his Desert Eagle on the table and says "being as how YOUR pistol says replica down the side and mine says DESERT EAGLE POINT FIVE OH"

:lol:

Desert Eagle has been on my medium/short list for a while. The logical caliber for me is .44mag. The ammo is far more affordable and available, plus, I am already invested in the caliber. It would be plenty powerful for my purposes, but because of that %@*$ing line in that movie, I just don't think I would be happy with anything but "POINT FIVE OH.":o

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    I've totally regretted every hand cannon I've ever purchased!!!! The guns are expensive and you never want to shoot them enough to be worth reloading in that caliber. Ammo is three times the price and stores are often out of stock and when they do stock it, it's never range ammo but the most expensive defensive rounds. If you're are at the range, the concussion tends to annoy those in neighboring lanes. It's not like you can ever use these firearms for CC and they are really impractical for just about every situation including home defense. Will I ever buy another obscenely large caliber and useless handgun?? ABSOLUTELY.

3BMFsbC.png

Okay let me get this straight. You bought a big caliber pistol but you can’t afford the bullets then you you bought another one know that it is loud and the bullets are expensive and by now you know that they are too big to carry. How many of these hand cannons did you buy? And why didn’t you learn anything from your first purchase?

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Okay let me get this straight. You bought a big caliber pistol but you can’t afford the bullets then you you bought another one know that it is loud and the bullets are expensive and by now you know that they are too big to carry. How many of these hand cannons did you buy? And why didn’t you learn anything from your first purchase?

keyboard bullies are annoying.

True, but Aventus seems like a good guy. I don't think his feelings got hurt...I hope not, anyway :o

Clifjr

Feb 2, 2014
    Germantown

What are your thoughts?

I got one in 44mag in satin nickel that I purchased new about 20 years ago. Always wanted to get the 50ae barrel and mag so I could convert it. 357mag would need the barrel, mag and bolt to convert. Never did get around to it but it’s still on my list of to do things but I’m still finding other things that get put in front of it on my list. They can jam up if you don’t control the recoil correctly as they describe in the owners manual. Basically you want it to recoil straight back and not let it ride upwards as most pistol shooters do. Here’s a picture of mine.

Attachments

• 5DC4688C-A195-4064-8288-46607DFB0D17.jpg
      5DC4688C-A195-4064-8288-46607DFB0D17.jpg
      69.9 KB · Views: 137

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    :lol:

Desert Eagle has been on my medium/short list for a while. The logical caliber for me is .44mag. The ammo is far more affordable and available, plus, I am already invested in the caliber. It would be plenty powerful for my purposes, but because of that %@*$ing line in that movie, I just don't think I would be happy with anything but "POINT FIVE OH.":o

Just buy it, if you want to play then you have to pay.

Casey39r

BANNED!!!
    Mar 27, 2018
    Maryland
    I got one in 44mag in satin nickel that I purchased new about 20 years ago. Always wanted to get the 50ae barrel and mag so I could convert it. 357mag would need the barrel, mag and bolt to convert. Never did get around to it but it’s still on my list of to do things but I’m still finding other things that get put in front of it on my list. They can jam up if you don’t control the recoil correctly as they describe in the owners manual. Basically you want it to recoil straight back and not let it ride upwards as most pistol shooters do. Here’s a picture of mine.

That is really nice. You will find that a lot of people will negatively talk bad about the DE 44 or 50 AE Pistol and the sad thing is that they don’t own one or let alone ever shot a few boxes of ammo. That pistol will never lose it’s value like a Colt.45.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Only Desert Eagle I haven't shot so far, is a .357 Mag variant - and I hear that's supposed to be the most enjoyable of the bunch. 50AE and .44 Mag aren't that obnoxious or uncontrollable, IMO.

It's always fun to see a group of people trying to hang onto one in 50AE at the range (muzzle flipping sky high, taking a step/half-step back - poor recoil management basically), getting offered a mag, and then running that mag at 3/4 speed while still keeping the muzzle relatively down during recoil. Being a smaller frame guy, no one expects to see the scrawny bastard run a mag that quick - and with respectable accuracy. Good times.

OP, there's no need to justify a purchase. If it scratches an itch, then that's all the justification you need. If I saw a smoking deal on one, I'd snag one - just because I could.

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've only shot a .50AE desert eagle once, but it wasn't uncontrollable, imo. That's a giant gun and the weight soaks up some recoil. Might be tough for small hands, though, as the grip is enormous.

I say go for it!

Kiwiknoll

Jan 16, 2015
    Clarksville md
    I bought a 500 sw several years ago, whith the same misgivings, and have loved it ever since.... Yes its hard on hands, and looks like a animated revolver, but every time we hit the range it has to come out, and everyone wants to play.

Good range games
    1. Load variable grains and charges and wait for the surprises... Esp w/ 700gr wadcutters
    2. Line up calibers high to low. Start at .50 then work down Shooting one or two mags from each.
    3. We made battleship game targets and do the reducing calibers head to head.
    4 shoot a whole target on .22 then put one .50 in the center....

Reloading becomes a must....

..... Her name is bessie.

Aventus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 5, 2016

Ohhhh Damn, I forgot to use that stupid :sarcasm: thingy again. Wasn't it obvious however..............................never mind, obviously not. My bad!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Good range games
    1. Load variable grains and charges and wait for the surprises... Esp w/ 700gr wadcutters

LOL! I did this to my brother accidentally. He was about 15 and we went to Elk Neck to shoot one day, He wanted to shoot my Model 29 and I had a plastic box with factory 44 mags on one half and a mild handload in the other half. I had been loading the handloads and letting him shoot a few cylinders. Eventually he loaded the cylinder himself with the last 5 handloads a 1 factory load.

Boy was he surprised!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom