• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alea Jacta Est

Extinguished member
    MDS Supporter
    Trust me, you'll be sorry.
    I've been sorry before and will almost certainly be once again. I'm good with that.

I won't be sorry though for keeping the can off my long guns.

My M1A stable will not be silenced. Just doesn't seem like the right thing.

I'll can either the AR-10 or the 300 or maybe kinda an M1, in my SOCOM. I guess it will depend largely on the requirements at any given instance.

"Sorry" not to be more specific...

drive_accord_ingly

Aug 1, 2007
    MoCo
    http://m14forum.com/gunsmithing/174641-suppressor-gas-spindle-mod.html

I suppressed mine, and got bored suppressing it.

I have a Delta-P adapter, and a schuster plug available if you want to try it cheaply.

Thanks for the information. I am not sure if I understand where you were going with the Schuster plug and the Sadlak conversation. All I want to do is find a can that I can stick on my M1A without loosing the original profile of the long birdcage.

Apparently, based on my limited understanding and read of the many posts ( thanks to all who are trying to help this naive, impressionable young man), there are other issues involving gas porting and changing the profile of the gas system. Why is it so critical to do all of this on an M1A when there is no need on other gas guns like the AR?

I don't get it.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    Thanks for the information. I am not sure if I understand where you were going with the Schuster plug and the Sadlak conversation. All I want to do is find a can that I can stick on my M1A without loosing the original profile of the long birdcage.

Apparently, based on my limited understanding and read of the many posts ( thanks to all who are trying to help this naive, impressionable young man), there are other issues involving gas porting and changing the profile of the gas system. Why is it so critical to do all of this on an M1A when there is no need on other gas guns like the AR?

I don't get it.

But there are issues to address on an AR. Suppressing any gun will increase pressure, which is why there's a market for adjustable gas blocks and different recoil buffer weights (in the example of an AR). Some guns will run fine overgassed and others won't. A suppressor works by slowing the blast and escaping gas, and essentially increases dwell time. There's no free lunch. In the case of an M1A, your allowing the bolt to open with more force than it was originally designed for. The Schuster adjustable gas plug is a good product for addressing this. Sure, a few suppressed rounds won't really hurt anything necessarily, but prolonged suppressed fire can increase wear and affect reliability.

You're not going to be able to keep the long birdcage if you want to mount a suppressor. The closest thing is the YHM mount, which is a shorter birdcage-type flash hider, but still not the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom