• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ascorb

Mar 2, 2016
    Would it be crazy in getting a plate carrier with pouches + body armor? Is this practical or a waste of money? thanks

Mickey the Dragon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 19, 2009
    Ohio
    Would it be crazy in getting a plate carrier with pouches + body armor? Is this practical or a waste of money? thanks

Crazy? No. If you're expecting to use your weapon in self defense, you're probably expecting an armed assailant. If you're expecting a confrontation with an armed assailant, it would be prudent to have a way to protect your favorite internal organs.

Practical? It can be if you store your armor correctly, you're fit enough to use it effectively, and you train with it so that it isn't a distraction.

Waste of money? Depends on your budget, needs, and willingness to accept trade-offs. Good body armor is expensive but you get what you pay for. Steel plates are cheaper, but they're cheaper for a reason. They're heavy and they have a tendency to send spalling into your tender meats and cause massive bleeding. There are ways to limit the spalling, but it's still going to be heavier than ceramic. You can also go with soft armor and focus on defense against handguns rather than rifles. Again, that's a trade-off and only you can decide what you want or need.

Is this intended for home use or outside the home in a SHTF-type scenario? Are you expecting bad guys with handguns or rifles?

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick
    Crazy? No. If you're expecting to use your weapon in self defense, you're probably expecting an armed assailant. If you're expecting a confrontation with an armed assailant, it would be prudent to have a way to protect your favorite internal organs.

Practical? It can be if you store your armor correctly, you're fit enough to use it effectively, and you train with it so that it isn't a distraction.

Waste of money? Depends on your budget, needs, and willingness to accept trade-offs. Good body armor is expensive but you get what you pay for. Steel plates are cheaper, but they're cheaper for a reason. They're heavy and they have a tendency to send spalling into your tender meats and cause massive bleeding. There are ways to limit the spalling, but it's still going to be heavier than ceramic. You can also go with soft armor and focus on defense against handguns rather than rifles. Again, that's a trade-off and only you can decide what you want or need.

Is this intended for home use or outside the home in a SHTF-type scenario? Are you expecting bad guys with handguns or rifles?

What he said.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    If nothing else, get the carrier. You can get a half decent carrier without breaking the bank. Load it out, then decide if you want to add armor to it.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    If nothing else, get the carrier. You can get a half decent carrier without breaking the bank. Load it out, then decide if you want to add armor to it.

I agree with this. Its a great way to tip-toe into the possibility to getting armor. The carrier is very practical, and you can buy some cheap, used, but certified good, old police soft body armor and put it in the carrier. Might need some fitting. I once bought a used (not certified) set for next to nothing, I think I gave the gent more than he was asking because he was a shooting friend. It was at a swap meet a few years ago.

Why not, armor is kind of cool.

Sharp

Feb 21, 2015
    Calvert

In my experience, plate carriers can be difficult to use without something in them. It may not be the case with all of them (I had a Tactical Tailor carrier), just something to keep in mind. If that turns out to be the case, you can stuff them with something like foam to hold the shape.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    In my experience, plate carriers can be difficult to use without something in them. It may not be the case with all of them (I had a Tactical Tailor carrier), just something to keep in mind. If that turns out to be the case, you can stuff them with something like foam to hold the shape.

Or you can stuff you pockets with the cash you wouldn't have wasted if you bought that :D

If your not using it daily it's a giant waste.........unless your actually prepping for Mad Max but if that's the case someone has probably wasted way more then the 300+

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I used to wear a Lvl IIA setup when I was running the rollback, tend to err on the safe side when transporting $60+K cars at night. It got old real quick.

In the winter, it wasn't so bad having another layer of insulation. In the summer, it was downright full of suck. After a year or so of that, it'll make you re-evaluate your position.

Add in ceramic or steel plates, and you'll likely find yourself becoming good friends with a chiropractor in due time. BTDT.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Get a couple AR550 Steel gongs you can shoot at the range.

When not at the range, you can hang one in front of your chest, one on your back. Secure with duct tape. Good to go.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Buy 2 extras, one more for the back - and one for the groin.

Got to protect the mcnuggets.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Having been flagged with the muzzle of an AR at a class once, i wouldn't rule out wearing a plate carrier for training. It's a stupid idea . . . until it isn't.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The *other* question is plate vs kevlar.

Do you want an overt rig for rifle training classes / invasion by the Russians ? Or concealable to wear on frequent basis ?

trailman

Nov 15, 2011
    Frederick

If your still following there are a lot of options out there and new technology is making it better. If your looking for soft armor for pistol rounds there is a lot out there used. For plates there are new composites, FWIW I'd stay away from steel, the spalling is an issue even with coating but the weight is the mitigating factor. If you are going to sit around in them then fine, if your going to move then its an issue. Disregard the nay sayers here, most of them likely have thousands of dollars in safe queens they never touch so they have no standing.

Decide what you want to use it for then go from there. It will be a trade off between, weight, protection, thickness and price. Then practice with it.

http://www.bulletproofme.com/RP-Level-3-PLUS-Ceramic.html

http://www.bulletproofme.com/Body_Armor_Complete_Products_LIST.shtml#Concealable

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Out of curiosity, what is the service life of soft armor? I assume it depends in part on the material. Also what exactly does recertified mean for used armor? I assume it is supposedly rated to the same standards as before, but is there an expected service life attached to that? Considering there is a chance your life could be on the line...stay away from things like the recert eBay vests?

At some point I'd like to look in to something like a IIa/II soft vest with front and rear plate pockets. I don't consider myself a prepper, but some AR500 plates aren't that expensive (and if I ever get my many acre property, I can periodically rotate plates through by shooting the shit out of one when I get a new one for fun). For something like a HD situation, I'd really prefer more than just my thoracic cavity protected and I figure I am probably not getting invaded by a SWAT team, so I am mostly worried about the kind of handguns your typical criminal is going to pack, something like a .380, 9mm or .45 with ball or JHP.

Something I can slip on in a hurry while grabbing my 12ga.

Not that I am that worried about HD, but if I were to get armor, that is what it would be for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom