• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Continental arms in the balto area. Some of the employees have been there 20 years.
    Alexanders on the upper eastern shore.

03gsxr1000

Speed Demon
    Jul 4, 2010
    Favorite range= Free State Gun Range

This place is great. The people there treat everyone very well. They should lease out the entire building to expand. It gets crowded on the weekends

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    Locally?

The Machine Gun Nest for indoors, and the farm (owned by an old friend) up in PA for outdoors.

Favorite ever? All the BLM land in the Utah west desert. There's nothing quite like having an almost infinitely deep range to launch bullets into. Well, infinite as far as most people can shoot...

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The AGC Range is one of the largest outdoor ranges on the east coast, with 7 separate range areas: a 58-position 50-yard handgun range, a 100-position 100-yard multi-purpose range, a 10-position 200-yard range, an archery range, a trap field with 4 trap sites (one of which is a Wobble Trap), a shotgun patterning board and an indoor air rifle range. On weekdays it does not get crowded at all, on weekends it can get quite busy. I have never, however, seen it SO busy that a shooter could not find a lane to shoot on.

I’ve been by it a few times, but I prefer IWLA Damascus. I haven’t been a member long, but I’ve shit there as a guest occasionally for a couple of years. I’d love a 200yd (or longer) range, but the 25yd uncovered and 50yd covered pistol ranges and the 50/75/100yd covered rifle range are nice and they have a shotgun patterning setup on the rifle range. Plus shotgunning and an air rifle range. One of the nice things is a lot of the week, especially if you go early it is deserted and everyone is an RSO. There seems to be less A-hole going around compared to some places I’ve been and everyone seems to take safety seriously. It isn’t quite a private range, but when it is just you or maybe one other person and want to call a cease fire to run, check your target or setup a new one real quick it makes it really nice and also much faster to get back to shooting when you don’t have 20 people all ambling out there to check targets.

That’s one of those things I’ve never liked about public ranges is you might have a cease fire every 30 minutes, and then you spend 10 minutes every 30 cold. I haven’t been to IWLA Damascus when the rifle range has been completely packed, but even when I’ve been there and it is fairly full most cease fires are only 4 or 5 minutes and often just when a new shooter shows up everyone goes cold to let them setup and everyone takes a chance to run out and replace targets.

knovotny

Feb 5, 2013
    Aberdeen, MD
    I’ve been by it a few times, but I prefer IWLA Damascus. I haven’t been a member long, but I’ve shit there as a guest occasionally for a couple of years. I’d love a 200yd (or longer) range, but the 25yd uncovered and 50yd covered pistol ranges and the 50/75/100yd covered rifle range are nice and they have a shotgun patterning setup on the rifle range. Plus shotgunning and an air rifle range. One of the nice things is a lot of the week, especially if you go early it is deserted and everyone is an RSO. There seems to be less A-hole going around compared to some places I’ve been and everyone seems to take safety seriously. It isn’t quite a private range, but when it is just you or maybe one other person and want to call a cease fire to run, check your target or setup a new one real quick it makes it really nice and also much faster to get back to shooting when you don’t have 20 people all ambling out there to check targets.

That’s one of those things I’ve never liked about public ranges is you might have a cease fire every 30 minutes, and then you spend 10 minutes every 30 cold. I haven’t been to IWLA Damascus when the rifle range has been completely packed, but even when I’ve been there and it is fairly full most cease fires are only 4 or 5 minutes and often just when a new shooter shows up everyone goes cold to let them setup and everyone takes a chance to run out and replace targets.

AGC has quick cease fires. Every 30 mins at the hour and half hour on the weekends/when busy. They last less than 5 minutes. The once or twice I was there during the week it was a bit more relaxed. You know when you are on your way when you pull in if you are going to make the cease fire. Sucks to pull in at 10:05. The RSO's do a nice job of keeping people from taking too long.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    Anyone know of a range in the central MD area that would allow a 22LR bump stock?

Bumpstocks and binary triggers are currently allowed on the AGC Range. Our requirement is that you must be able to control your firearm such that every round you fire hits the impact area at the end of the range.

According to the reports on the recently passed legislation, as of October 1, 2018 the possession of these devices will be banned in Maryland.

songlaw

Aug 2, 2017
    Clarksville
    Let me put in a plug for AGC. I've only been a member since mid-2017, and have been shooting at paper and, more recently, steel, at the Barnes range. 50-100 yards.
    Bought a shotgun recently, and went to the wobble trap range for the first time this past Saturday.

It was my first time shooting a shot gun. I didn't know what I was doing, and hit only about 1 out of 10 clays, but it was a lot of fun. I especially liked the voice-activated clay launcher. I had to get used to it, though, because in addition to "pull!" it would launch every time I said "Sh!+" as well (when I missed).

I went back this afternoon, and shot 50 shells. I hit a little over half, which was a great improvement. I expect to get better, and soon.

AGC is fairly closeby, is reasonably priced, and is very flexible, offering a pistol range, a rifle range-up to 200 yds., an archery range, and a trap range. I really like the place. I have never had to wait for a lane.

The Range Officers have been pretty great. I think, sometimes, you get back what you give off. I am pleasant to them, and they are the same to me.

GOG-MD

Aug 23, 2017
    AA County
    I went to the Maryland Small Arms Range in Upper Marlboro yesterday. It was pretty busy so there was a slight wait for a lane, but only 10 minutes or so (they warned me it could be an hour, but I was glad it took far less). The facility seemed pretty decent. They have 25 yard pistol lanes and 50 yard rifle/shotgun ranges and handle everything up to .50 BMG. Reasonable rates, and a relatively short drive for me. I'll be going back.

canonian

Jan 5, 2013
    Elkridge
    I wish AGC had structures to staple paper targets on. Lugging around frames is a pain and takes up room in the car. Something like the outdoor range in Carol County behind the dump.

I'm biased because I work for AGC, but I make the trip there several days a week because there's nothing like it in all of Northern Virginia. I've shot at OnTarget and Freestate in Maryland, as well as at the NRA Range over here in Virginia, but I really prefer all of the capabilities AGC offers: 50-yard handgun range, 100-yard multi-purpose range, 200-yard rifle range, four Trap ranges, an archery range, a shotgun patterning board and an indoor air rifle range. I also prefer being outside rather than inside a range where the lanes are limited in number, the range length is limited and the calibers are limited as well.

JamesCanby

Apr 5, 2011
    Alexandria, VA
    I wish AGC had structures to staple paper targets on. Lugging around frames is a pain and takes up room in the car. Something like the outdoor range in Carol County behind the dump.

If you are shooting a handgun on the 50-yard range you can use the steel "goalpost" frames at the 25 yard berm. Slide a piece of 2'x2' cardboard in the uprights and staple one centered bullseye onto the cardboard and you're good to go.

The reason we don't have fixed position frames in the field is because on the most-often-used 100-yard range people have the opportunity to set their target at 25, 50 or 100 yards in the provided sockets, or at any intermediate distance using the PVC bases.

Having target frames positioned at fixed positions would arbitrarily limit the number of lanes to those distances.

The frames we sell (or those made by the shooters) come in two sections that are easily transported in most vehicles, and are height-adjustable to satisfy the requirement that all rounds strike the impact area.

If the lack of pre-positioned frames is a real problem for you, perhaps the Carrol County dump range would meet your needs best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom