• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I haven't cleaned mine in over 2,000 rounds. Lube it and shoot it.

I have had it rammed in my head that the AR15 must be cleaned and lubed after even a couple of hundred round. Between this endurance test and the mud test I am convinced that the AR15 is a beast.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have had it rammed in my head that the AR15 must be cleaned and lubed after even a couple of hundred round. Between this endurance test and the mud test I am convinced that the AR15 is a beast.

I used to clean after every range trip. No more. Took the SOTAR Armorer's course and learned the truth. Honestly I only really clean any of my guns maybe once/twice a year. Rimfire or anything I shoot suppressed gets cleaned more often.
    Over cleaning really does more damage/wear then not doing so.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I used to clean after every range trip. No more. Took the SOTAR Armorer's course and learned the truth. Honestly I only really clean any of my guns maybe once/twice a year. Rimfire or anything I shoot suppressed gets cleaned more often.
    Over cleaning really does more damage/wear then not doing so.

Can I handle the truth?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Most just need do be lubed. One of my armorers took his P229 15k rounds without cleaning. Just lubed.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I’ve been conducting my own test. My 300 B/O has about 2800 suppressed subsonic rounds through it. It’s as dirty as a coal cutter. I take the BCG out every so often and dip it in motor oil and keep on going.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I’ve been conducting my own test. My 300 B/O has about 2800 suppressed subsonic rounds through it. It’s as dirty as a coal cutter. I take the BCG out every so often and dip it in motor oil and keep on going.

That sounds messy. What is with y’all and the obsession to make messes?

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    Reminds me.of the BCM filthy 14 story from years ago.

http://www.slip2000.com/blog/s-w-a-t-magazine-filthy-14/

I was fortunate enough to take 2 Pat Rogers classes, and I actually used the filthy 14 gun after the article was written. The gun had not been cleaned yet, and I put about 600-700 rounds through it that day. I just pulled the BCG out and spayed it with Slip....ran without a problem and it really was filthy. Glad I got that opportunity. Pat was one of the greatest instructors I've learned from and an awesome person.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I was fortunate enough to take 2 Pat Rogers classes, and I actually used the filthy 14 gun after the article was written. The gun had not been cleaned yet, and I put about 600-700 rounds through it that day. I just pulled the BCG out and spayed it with Slip....ran without a problem and it really was filthy. Glad I got that opportunity. Pat was one of the greatest instructors I've learned from and an awesome person.

Amen!

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    I clean my guns more than I used to since I got a suppressor, but lube is definitely the most important. I don't clean the bore often at all. In fact I think it causes POI shift, so if I do clean the bore I only do it right before I go back to the range.

You mean like some people obsession with trying to discredit what I do?

hey man I know you're busy these days but since you have PMs turned off, can you answer two questions for me?

I use synthetic wheel bearing grease for pistol slides as you suggested. It's great because it seems to stay ON.

I use synthetic motor oil for AR BCGs.

Which weight oil is the best to use? I was curious because I use 10w/30 and appears kinda of thick in freezing temperature.

I also did a fun test and ran an AR hard with wheel bearing grease as the only lube. It ran fine. What do you think about this?

Thanks

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I clean my guns more than I used to since I got a suppressor, but lube is definitely the most important. I don't clean the bore often at all. In fact I think it causes POI shift, so if I do clean the bore I only do it right before I go back to the range.

hey man I know you're busy these days but since you have PMs turned off, can you answer two questions for me?

I use synthetic wheel bearing grease for pistol slides as you suggested. It's great because it seems to stay ON.

I use synthetic motor oil for AR BCGs.

Which weight oil is the best to use? I was curious because I use 10w/30 and appears kinda of thick in freezing temperature.

I also did a fun test and ran an AR hard with wheel bearing grease as the only lube. It ran fine. What do you think about this?

Thanks

It's climate dependent. I have found 0w40 and a light amount of gease is great for MD cold weather.

10w30 does great in summer.

Colder climates it may not be great.

Always prove out the "brew" before you trust it.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Does anyone know a good mechanic who will change the oil in your guns when sevicing your vehicle?

cstone

Dec 12, 2018
    Baltimore, MD
    Imagine how reliable our engines would become if we tore them down, cleaned and lubed them the way some treat their firearms. I can't think of a vehicle with an ICE that isn't a much more harsh environment then any firearm.

Clean them when you have time, but not too often. Run them wet and replace things as they break.

Be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom