• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    Hasn't been much pistol stuff lately so here's an interesting one.

This is a Star Model B in 9x19mm, delivered in the first shipment as part of the first WW2 German contract in May 1942.

There were two "Lots" of 2000 pistols each (Lot 7, shipped 5/15/42 and Lot 10, shipped 5/29/42) in the first contract. None of these 1st contract pistols received any German proofs, and the pistols were in a block of consecutive serial numbers (210951-214950). A 2-pistol shipment was sent 6/5/1942 probably to replace damaged/lost pistols (214951 and 214952).

A total of 6 lots (shipments) for 20,500 Star B pistols went to the Army and 2 lots totaling 6500 pistols went to the Kriegsmarine (Navy).

The 1943 deliveries received WaA251 Waffenamts (although some didn't), and the 1944 deliveries received WaAD20 Waffenamts. The final 1944 shipment was never delivered, so they were not marked by the Germans in WW2. Most of the pistols from that shipment (Lot 20) wound up being sold back to the West German police in the early 1950's and have an LPN stamp (or similar) on the front frame strap.

Note that there are a number of faked WaA251 pistols out there, that were originally Bulgarian contract guns.

This non-Waffenamt Model B has been a tough one to find. Partly because there weren't many made compared to the WaA251 and WaAD20's, partly because of an extra year of attrition, and mostly because the only way to tell is by the actual serial number. Fortunately for the collector, the valid serial numbers for all the German shipments are well-documented.

This pistol came with the relatively uncommon Star magazine with the factory spacer to accommodate the shorter Parabellum round. Star quickly dropped that in favor of the much simpler longer feed lips.

One interesting note is that the slide has the same "9 m/m" marking as the Star A, which is 9x23 Largo. At some point, the Model B barrels were marked with "Cal. 08" to denote the 9mm Parabellum chambering, but these very first guns didn't have that. The slide marking also changed later to include "F. Patr 08" to denote the Parabellum.

Attachments

• DSC_8510.jpg
      DSC_8510.jpg
      91.8 KB · Views: 1,255
    • DSC_8513.jpg
      DSC_8513.jpg
      94.3 KB · Views: 1,224
    • DSC_8518.jpg
      DSC_8518.jpg
      78.6 KB · Views: 1,150
    • DSC_8516.jpg
      DSC_8516.jpg
      70.4 KB · Views: 1,178
    • WaAnone.jpg
      WaAnone.jpg
      80.9 KB · Views: 1,163
    • WaA251.jpg
      WaA251.jpg
      40 KB · Views: 1,145
    • WaAD20.JPG
      WaAD20.JPG
      38 KB · Views: 1,149
    Jul 1, 2012
    Even though Spain was supposedly neutral, they sold a lot of pistols to Germany during the war, especially Astra.

Are you selling it? Or is that a personal purchase. Why does it say Espana on it? Spanish Civil war? 1936-39??

Nope, not selling it. I just got it two days ago, after searching for about 5 years :)
    Only seen a few others for sale and I've either been a day late, many dollars short, or the condition was poor.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Even though Spain was supposedly neutral, they sold a lot of pistols to Germany during the war, especially Astra.

Nope, not selling it. I just got it two days ago, after searching for about 5 years :)
    Only seen a few others for sale and I've either been a day late, many dollars short, or the condition was poor.

Very cool. Spain wasn't neutral, they were playing their cards through out the war. It was payback time for Russia's meddling in Spain's Civil war. They fought with the Germans on the Russian front. And then refused to help the allies on D-Day. Franco and Spain paid a price for that after the war- no help for them in the US Marshall plan.

My relative fought with the Spanish Blue Division which attached to the German 132nd in the battles of Crimea and Leningrad. He made it back and per my daddy was never the same. He was laid up for about a year then just went about his work without mentioning the war except that he never wanted to see another winter again.

He brought back a Star (estrella) pistol we had for years in our family but it was lost in South America. Id like to get one of those one day.

Last edited:

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Excellent thread! I had no inking of the existence of this first lot until your email the other day. Just when you think you might have a full grasp of a subject...
    And I have no excuse since I own a copy of Antaris' huge Star reference.
    I still troll Astra 400 SNs for German issue examples so now I'll have to memorize the SN range for Star Bs too!

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Just found one of these today in a local gun shop. It's in almost new condition, no waffenamt but marked "F Patr 08" and has the proper chamber marking. The front strap is marked Lower Saxony Police marked too (LPN) too. I'm guessing it's post war based on the LPN marking but I need to do some more research. ANywho, all matching but the magazine (but I think it is a German contract one...more research needed) and the tag said "9mm Largo $450". I just grinned. It's no longer for sale.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Just found one of these today in a local gun shop. It's in almost new condition, no waffenamt but marked "F Patr 08" and has the proper chamber marking. The front strap is marked Lower Saxony Police marked too (LPN) too. I'm guessing it's post war based on the LPN marking but I need to do some more research. ANywho, all matching but the magazine (but I think it is a German contract one...more research needed) and the tag said "9mm Largo $450". I just grinned. It's no longer for sale.

Congrats! Like so_md mustangs I've got Leo Antaris' Big Star Book (massive amount of info jammed into it) with SNs and delivery dates. Shoot me a PM with your SN and I'll look it up. See if we can't date it.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Indeed! That was a great find. You don't see these out on the secondary market much anymore. I believe most are buried deep into collections. Thanks for sharing!

Jul 1, 2012
    They turn up every so often on GB and various sites but aren't always identified properly.... making for potential good deals.

The police contract called for marking the small parts with the last 3 digits of the S/N, including two magazines, and the full S/N on the holster.

Attachments

• 5s.jpg
      5s.jpg
      82.5 KB · Views: 306
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      70.3 KB · Views: 301
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      70.5 KB · Views: 295

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    I've been on the hunt for a stock for my Star A carbine and found an MB stock. Ended up selling it as the MB has a curved back strap vs the straight one on the A (not unlike the 1911 vs 1911A1) so the MB stock won't fit an A. Sucks 'cause the A stock has proved to be crazy hard to find. Someone has what's probably a re-pop up for sale but I just can't find it in me to spend $500 for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom