• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean5791

Remington Fan
    Mar 25, 2010
    Does anybody know if there are special provisions in MD law pertaining to Armed Security Guards (non-police) carrying handguns?
    Are they also required to store firearm and ammo in separate places while transporting?
    Does armored vehicle personel pack and unload their firearms every day for transport?
    Do they qualify for a conceal carry permit because of their line of duty?

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    Typically they are issued a limited CCW for the State of Babysitting.... I have a couple fellow Firefighters who work for an Armored Car company. They have a limited CCW. It limits them to: To/From work and while at work. Meaning they can carry loaded and concealed to and from work (provided they own the gun, if they don't they they are stuck with the issued .357 6 shooter). I also know if you are looking for a job with your own weapon, they mandate (at least this particular company) a weapon without an additional safety (so glocks, M&Ps, etc are OK) and you must shoot a qual course WITH the weapon you will be carrying

MPSP100

Nov 26, 2007
    Baltimore
    Are they also required to store firearm and ammo in separate places while transporting?

No!

Does armored vehicle personel pack and unload their firearms every day for transport?

Depends on company policy, but I know one company has a policy that while in uniform you must have a loaded weapon.

Do they qualify for a conceal carry permit because of their line of duty?

I'm not sure what you're asking, but in general armored personnel are issued a different type of permit, from regular security officers. If you can clarify this a little more, I might be able to give you a better response. Hope this helps....

Dean5791

Remington Fan
    Mar 25, 2010
    MPSP100, I guess that because of their line of duty, they may be exposed to specific threats on or off duty; Reason why I was asking if it made them eligible to CCW.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    MPSP100, I guess that because of their line of duty, they may be exposed to specific threats on or off duty; Reason why I was asking if it made them eligible to CCW.

The only reason they get a permit, is due to them being/travel/transit in the general public areas.

If for example the guard works for a company but never leaves the property of the company, he does not need a permit. Unless he will be transporting the firearm back and forward to work.

Maryland does not have a conceal permit, they have a handgun permit. Allows us/them to carry in the open while in uniform.

MPSP100

Nov 26, 2007
    Baltimore

They are only issued a permit to carry while on-duty only. Off-duty they are pretty much on their own, unless they have documented threats.

TowsonTiger22

Mar 27, 2008
    There are several kinds of armed permits. Some only allow you to carry a weapon while working. Some allow you to transport to and from your place of work.

I currently hate the licensing process. You have to get a company to sponsor you for your license, but most companies won't hire you if you don't have it...

MPSP100

Nov 26, 2007
    Baltimore
    There are several kinds of armed permits. Some only allow you to carry a weapon while working. Some allow you to transport to and from your place of work.

I currently hate the licensing process. You have to get a company to sponsor you for your license, but most companies won't hire you if you don't have it...

Really arent several kinds of armed permits.....just 3 different types.

Most companies that are hiring for armed personnel, are in immediate need, and can not wait for you to get your permit in hand. Such as those companies taking on a new contract.

TowsonTiger22

Mar 27, 2008
    I don't think we should have to have a permit. If my company says I can work for them, and carry a weapon on the job, then it should be fine.

Masterchief36

Masterchief36
    May 16, 2009
    Va.
    To get a handgun permit for armed security officer in Md, you have to be hired by a company and they will sponsor you and you have to qualify at the range too. but be prepared to wait

TowsonTiger22

Mar 27, 2008
    MPSP, to clarify, I meant that the Armed Permit has a few different versions. Some allow you to carry to and from work, and some only allow you to have a weapon on site.

ToneGrail

MSI, NRA, & SAF Member
    Dec 18, 2008
    Towson, People's Republik of MD
    MPSP, to clarify, I meant that the Armed Permit has a few different versions. Some allow you to carry to and from work, and some only allow you to have a weapon on site.

The Wackenhut guards who work at Ft Meade have to check their weapons out of an armory at the beginning of their shift and turn them back in at the end of their shift.

The armed Code 3 Security guards get to use their personally owned weapons. So they can carry to and from work.

Dean5791

Remington Fan
    Mar 25, 2010
    As mentioned by a few people above, the interesting thing is if you are an armed security guard in MD, the law does not permit you to carry your firearm from your place of work, to your place of residence. From what I read, you would have to be carrying it between:

1. A legit shooting range and your home.
    2. The place of purchase/repair and your home.
    3. between your residences if you own more than one.
    4. Your home and business but ONLY if you own the business.

Many security guards own their own firearm but can not justify of any specific threat against their person. REgardless, they will require some type of additional permit.

J.Q.Citizen

Jan 8, 2010
    Atlanta GA
    Quote from the back of my old Security / Private detective weapons carry permit

"Restrictions : Between residence Any Md. Licensed Security Guard/Private Detective Agency job assignment or property only and while actively engaged as a Maryland Certified Armed Security Guard/Private Detective for same. (ON DUTY IN MD ONLY) Not valid where Firearms are Prohibited."

Hope this helps clear things up

-Johnny

MPSP100

Nov 26, 2007
    Baltimore
    As mentioned by a few people above, the interesting thing is if you are an armed security guard in MD, the law does not permit you to carry your firearm from your place of work, to your place of residence. From what I read, you would have to be carrying it between:

1. A legit shooting range and your home.
    2. The place of purchase/repair and your home.
    3. between your residences if you own more than one.
    4. Your home and business but ONLY if you own the business.

Many security guards own their own firearm but can not justify of any specific threat against their person. REgardless, they will require some type of additional permit.

That law only applies to those who do not work in security, I carry my weapon loaded to and from work. I see where you're confused, but that does not apply to security who have a permit.

I have both a company issued weapon, and personal weapon that I use for detective work. The letter for "good and substantial" reason(s) comes from your employer. However there is certain language and that one sentence they are looking for.

The Wackenhut guards who work at Ft Meade have to check their weapons out of an armory at the beginning of their shift and turn them back in at the end of their shift.

The armed Code 3 Security guards get to use their personally owned weapons. So they can carry to and from work.

This is also true for many companies who have federal contracts. Companies don't want to spend the money to have every officer have their own company issued weapon, therefore, you check them in and check them out.

Code 3, is the biggest joke when it comes to security. I know for a fact, some of their officers carried replica Glock BB guns while on-duty. I hate to bash companies, but this company is the worse I've seen.

Trust me, I've seen people who have been issued gun permits, have to requal with the company and FAIL. To the point where they didn't know how to work the weapon, and couldn't shoot if their life depended on it. They always say "why do I need to shoot, if I already have a permit"...and when they fail I go THATS why.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    ( All discussion under pre- Wollard conditions )

There is only *one* type of permit. What cn vary are the restrictions typed onto it.

Typical language would be for On Duty as a starting point. It also depends on what the company requests in the cover letter in regards to uniformed or not , to/ from home etc. The To/ from must be requested by Company , default is not. If there is no specific mention , then there is no restriction on number or open/ concealed.

Employers like to have new hires tht need only trnsfer , rther than the 2-6mo delay for initial issue. Saving the $ for training is minor issue. Most of the larger Cos will still have you *qualify* with them at an early point anyway.

Pretty much any company will have the number of guns that are required on any one shift, possably with superzisors at some level having perminent issue. Individual companies may or may not allow personally owned weapons, under whatever policy they may care to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LikeThatHendrix

Latest threads

Top Bottom