• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Christ you do that up here and you'll never sell anything

Yeah, one of my friends moved down here from MD and asked me how to sell a handgun he no longer carries. I mentioned that he can ask for whatever documents he wants and that most everyone asks for a carry permit. He was surprised for a moment until he realized that just about all gun people here have one. He has an unrestricted MD W&C permit and got it a few years ago with no issues.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If the other party was merely inspecting the rifle, they would not have got angry.

I would not have proceeded either. Cant be too careful.

I agree that one should trust one's instincts. But ... if the second guy was just there to help his buddy check out the item for sale, and then the deal got yanked, that WOULD be a reason - especially if it was a long drive, etc - to get ticked. But then, someone who was straight up and legit would have tried to be a lot more earnestly persuasive about the situation - sounds like that vibe was not happening.

md_rick_o

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 30, 2008
    Severn Md.
    Yeah the anger is normally when they get caught doing something they shouldn't. I can't see if it was just a helper they wouldn't have made that point clear when you said you weren't comfortable with the sale.

I did do a purchase once at and FFL where i had my wife handle the revolver to see how she liked it. I wasn't sure if they would consider that a straw purchase so asked them. My gun that she would have access to if i wasn't home, the FFL wasn't bothered at all.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I did do a purchase once at and FFL where i had my wife handle the revolver to see how she liked it. I wasn't sure if they would consider that a straw purchase so asked them. My gun that she would have access to if i wasn't home, the FFL wasn't bothered at all.

Yeah, done this with Mrs. Occam at least a couple or three times. Dealer didn't blink.

tall.guy88

Ultimate Member
    Feb 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    You did the right thing. FTF is sketchy. Someone could pull a gun on you. Lots of scenarios that could go wrong.

In todays culture Id got through an FFL. Most are happy to do it for a fair fee.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    I agree that one should trust one's instincts. But ... if the second guy was just there to help his buddy check out the item for sale, and then the deal got yanked, that WOULD be a reason - especially if it was a long drive, etc - to get ticked. But then, someone who was straight up and legit would have tried to be a lot more earnestly persuasive about the situation - sounds like that vibe was not happening.

Someone who was straight up and legit would probably start the transaction with "my buddy is here to double check and inspect the rifle, he knows more than I do."

Yeah, done this with Mrs. Occam at least a couple or three times. Dealer didn't blink.

Wife or kid is not the same as random armslist dude and his sidekick.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    You did the right thing. FTF is sketchy. Someone could pull a gun on you. Lots of scenarios that could go wrong.

In todays culture Id got through an FFL. Most are happy to do it for a fair fee.

:tinfoil: the "buyer" already had a gun drawn, a Colt M4A1. All he needed was to bring his own loaded AR mag...

Also, OP, didn't you just buy that rifle? Why sell it already?!?! :wtf:

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    your instincts were prob right.

...but, i'd be pretty PO'd if i drove to meet you and you cancelled the deal. of course, i'm an honest, upstanding guy and if i brought someone it'd be for backup protection and backup review of the gun. and can a FTF transaction really be a straw purchase, not like anyone is getting a background check or doesn't sound like you were asking for their drivers or carry license.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    I'm interested in the rifle but not the cheese grater. Any chance youd be willing to drop the price to reflect that?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Absolutely use your sense regarding sketchy potential transactions . But I've been cought on the wrong end of overzealous "anti straw " paranoia .

Being told that two people looking at same firearm, neither could make a purchase , when the wife is experienced gun person and hunter herself .

In the modern era , I would have been jammed up over my first 1911A1 . I knew at that point I didn't have the diagnostic experence I did with them as say S&W revolvers . I asked a fellow LGS customer for his opinion . He field stripped it, and showed me everything to check ( he was ret USMC Gunny, and then Municipal LEO ) . ( Yes , I bought it . It was an very early Civillian Gov't A1 , but with high mileage, and aftermarket nickle .)

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    What do you mean?

I don't want the KAC handguard. So (not actual negotation or numbers) we pop off the handguard and you keep or sell it seperately.

So lets say rifle costs $2000 and the handguard is worth $700 so we pop it off and now the rifle is $1300.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    I don't want the KAC handguard. So (not actual negotation or numbers) we pop off the handguard and you keep or sell it seperately.

So lets say rifle costs $2000 and the handguard is worth $700 so we pop it off and now the rifle is $1300.

Ah.. so you are offering $1300

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Okay so you want $1350 for rifle as is.

https://shop.knightarmco.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=KM98064

MSRP from Knights is $250.73

Street price is roughly the same here's BCM's

https://www.bravocompanyusa.com/KAC-M4-RAS-p/kac 98064.htm

And here's the price I would use if I was an *******

https://www.operationparts.com/kac-knights-armament-ras-m4-carbine-rail-adapter-system-mil-pack/

So we'd be looking at $1100ish

since $1350 is $50 below lowest price, no shipping costs $35, no transfer fees $35 that means this rifle is already $120 below retail. Cheapest I found KAC RAS is $160 + $10 shipping ($170). https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830981685

So that means I'll subtract the delta ($170 - $120 = $50) from the list price so that is $1300.

mopar92

May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    since $1350 is $50 below lowest price, no shipping costs $35, no transfer fees $35 that means this rifle is already $120 below retail. Cheapest I found KAC RAS is $160 + $10 shipping ($170). https://www.gunbroker.com/item/830981685

So that means I'll subtract the delta ($170 - $120 = $50) from the list price so that is $1300.

This is a Socom without KAC handguard for $975 from an IP.

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=225969

So at $1300 I'm gonna bow out gracefully. Good luck with your sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom