Wear and Carry: Apply based on birthday?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • j26sub

May 8, 2018
    So, it sounds like it expires at the end of your birth month after two years. If my bday is mid-February, when should I turn in my application. I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to be approved to maximize the time before I need to renew. Thanks for any advice.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    So, it sounds like it expires at the end of your birth month after two years. If my bday is mid-February, when should I turn in my application. I'm trying to figure out how long it will take to be approved to maximize the time before I need to renew. Thanks for any advice.
    Direct from MSP web site:

The renewal process is the responsibility of the applicant and should be started no less than 90 business days from expiration of the handgun permit. Timely renewal is the responsibility of the permit holder.*The Licensing Division does not send out renewal reminders.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Direct from MSP web site:

The renewal process is the responsibility of the applicant and should be started no less than 90 business days from expiration of the handgun permit. Timely renewal is the responsibility of the permit holder.*The Licensing Division does not send out renewal reminders.

He didnt say he was renewing. Renewals are all good for 3 years. Initial permits are good for 2 years from issue and the to the end of your birth month. This means permits are good fo 2- 3 years depending on the relationship of you birthday to the issue date.

Since MSP takes their full 90 days to act on an application, I would apply 60 days prior to my birthday. That way it will be issued within about 30 day after you birthday. You'll get close to 3 years use as possible before renewal.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    He didnt say he was renewing. Renewals are all good for 3 years. Initial permits are good for 2 years from issue and the to the end of your birth month. This means permits are good fo 2- 3 years depending on the relationship of you birthday to the issue date.

Since MSP takes their full 90 days to act on an application, I would apply 60 days prior to my birthday. That way it will be issued within about 30 day after you birthday. You'll get close to 3 years use as possible before renewal.

Miss read it....

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake

This.

Sending the application in 60 days before your birthday should ensure ~35 months on your first permit.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    This.

Sending the application in 60 days before your birthday should ensure ~35 months on your first permit.
    I tried to get the turncoat Senator Chris West to introduce legislation to make all initial permits good for 3 years as a measure of fairness and not costing the state anything or putting more permits on the hands of citizens. Of course you know how far that went.

j26sub

May 8, 2018
    Makes sense...Thanks! I thought it would be 2 years or less....this being Marylandistan and all.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    My sister got hers after her birthday by about two weeks. Expires in less than 2 years. My first permit was 2 years and 7 months.

YMMV

NOBODY

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    My sister got hers after her birthday by about two weeks. Expires in less than 2 years. My first permit was 2 years and 7 months.

YMMV

NOBODY
    No. The initial is good for 2 years after issue, then to the end of the month when she was born. They do not expire in less than 2 years.

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Here is the wording of the law and on the paper that the Licensing division send with your permit.

Your initial handgun permit expires on the last day of your birth month following two (2) years after the date the permit is issued. Permits that have been modified or duplicated expire on the date provided on the initial permit. A handgun permit may be renewed for successive periods of three( 3) years each if, at the time of an application for renewal, the applicant possesses the
    qualifications for the issuance of a permit and pays the established renewal fee. At this time, the renewal process is not automated. As such, no notice to renew or reminder will be sent by the Maryland State Police. The responsibility to renew falls upon the permit holder and should be submitted no lesst han 90 business days from the expiration of the permit.
    For information relating to relevantM aryland's statutesa nd regulationsr egarding the wearing,carrying and transportation of a regulated firearm, you may visit our website at www.mdsQ.maryland.gov. Click on Licensing and Registration,then Firearms. From this tab, you may view information pertaining to the wear and carry permit or other firearm-related information.
    Thank you for your attention and compliance in this matter.

Sincerely,

Sergeant Joseph Durkee
    Supervisor
    Handgun Permit Unit

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    No. The initial is good for 2 years after issue, then to the end of the month when she was born. They do not expire in less than 2 years.

Yours is an opinion based on law. Mine is fact based on actual events.

Nobody

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Yours is an opinion based on law. Mine is fact based on actual events.

Nobody
    It's not an opinion if it is the law and apparently the Licensing Divisions policy also, since they included that information with the permit. No need to argue among ourselves. If your sister got screwed, call the Licensing Division.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    It's not an opinion if it is the law and apparently the Licensing Divisions policy also, since they included that information with the permit. No need to argue among ourselves. If your sister got screwed, call the Licensing Division.

Wether it is policy or law it is a fact. Her birthday is mid February and she received her permit early March. She is ok with it and Just got her modified restriction permit lat week. Was in HPRB waiting line with no date of hearing.

Nobody

Straightshooter

Ultimate Member
    Aug 28, 2010
    Baltimore County
    Wether it is policy or law it is a fact. Her birthday is mid February and she received her permit early March. She is ok with it and Just got her modified restriction permit lat week. Was in HPRB waiting line with no date of hearing.

Nobody
    Don't know why she would be OK with being screwed out of a year. The Licensing Div has, does, and will continue to make mistakes. They do correct them when they are brought to their attention. My wife received a renewed permit with the old "valid while conducting financial transactions" after that phrase had been replaced. I called Knaub and he admitted to the mistake and she had a new permit in the mailbox three days later.

That being said, the date she received the permit does not matter. What matters is the date it was issued. The MSP is notorious for printing permits then sitting on them until the last minute of their 90 days before mailing them. Your sister's permit may have been printed in late February with the expiration date calculated as February 28th, two years away. So, the permit may have been printed in February and arrived in March, giving the appearance that the permit is for less than 2 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom