• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    i thought certain crimes in MD were not elgible for expungement?

maybe the case?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Story sounds off. MSP no longer handles shotguns, thats 4473 territory. Handguns require a HQL UNLESS he tried to buy a C&R or is a retired U.S. Military and is HQL exempt.

If he has a HQL then something is off.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Story sounds off. MSP no longer handles shotguns, thats 4473 territory. Handguns require a HQL UNLESS he tried to buy a C&R or is a retired U.S. Military and is HQL exempt.

If he has a HQL then something is off.

OP could be confused about MSP denying twice, this is thirdhand info, or dad could have tried buying a variant (IE Mossy bullpup or Spas 12). Or could have tried to buy pistol first get denied then tried to buy a shotgun and assumed it was MSP denying both.

Having the HQL means nothing, several cases of MSP issuing them to prohibited persons.

C&R only comes into play if he has an FFL03 and bought out of state as C&R handguns still go through the 77R and MSP LD.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    if it were my dad, and i knew he was legit/legal, i might just forget and leave a shottie at his house (which is prolly also my house as we're family) after our hunting trip or trip to the range.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    OP could be confused about MSP denying twice, this is thirdhand info, or dad could have tried buying a variant (IE Mossy bullpup or Spas 12). Or could have tried to buy pistol first get denied then tried to buy a shotgun and assumed it was MSP denying both.

Having the HQL means nothing, several cases of MSP issuing them to prohibited persons.

C&R only comes into play if he has an FFL03 and bought out of state as C&R handguns still go through the 77R and MSP LD.

C&R Handguns can be purchased on a 77r without a HQL.No C&R needed. Its right on the 77r

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    If it's from the 70's you may need to have it researched by the clerk of the relevant county court. It may need to be microfilm or even hand searched. I dealt with some old criminal histories like this for cases and they can be bad, I mean very, very incomplete.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    C&R Handguns can be purchased on a 77r without a HQL.No C&R needed. Its right on the 77r

Right what I meant was even with it being a C&R gun/or him being an FFL03 he would still need to go through the 77R MSP backgroubd check, unless he was an FFL 03 and the transaction took place outside the state of MD.

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    ATF 4473 is pretty clear.
    WARNING: You may not receive a firearm if prohibited by Federal or State law. The information you provide will
    be used to determine whether you are prohibited under law from receiving a firearm. Certain violations of the Gun
    Control Act, 18 U.S.C. 921 et. seq., are punishable by up to 10 years imprisonment and/or up to a $250,000 fine[
    /QUOTE]

nmyers

Jul 9, 2016
    There are too many omissions & inconsistency in the OP's story for anyone to be able to figure out the problem. The best advice was: request the NICS rejection information.

My experience has been that many folks who appear in court get so much confusing information in a short period of time that they are unable to understand/remember the details. Once the official reason is shown to him, everything will become clear.

In the meantime, I believe that anyone suggesting that the OP lend his father a gun is doing both of them, & members of this forum, a disservice. We protest injustice only by legal means.

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    There are too many omissions & inconsistency in the OP's story for anyone to be able to figure out the problem. The best advice was: request the NICS rejection information.

My experience has been that many folks who appear in court get so much confusing information in a short period of time that they are unable to understand/remember the details. Once the official reason is shown to him, everything will become clear.

In the meantime, I believe that anyone suggesting that the OP lend his father a gun is doing both of them, & members of this forum, a disservice. We protest injustice only by legal means.

Exactly right. In a stressful situation, one's ability to process all the information is sorely impacted. I agree with the suggestion to get counsel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom