Opinions on whether the barrel below complies with "heavy barrel"? SPR-like profile

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    If the manufacturer says it's an HBAR, it's an HBAR.

If I build a rifle from a stripped lower... I *am* the manufacturer, and *I* say it's an HBAR.

/thread ;)

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    If the manufacturer says it's an HBAR, it's an HBAR.

If I build a rifle from a stripped lower... I *am* the manufacturer, and *I* say it's an HBAR.

/thread ;)

I like your way of thinking, but don't think it would stick in court.

My issue is with the many barrels described as "SPR" or "medium weight". I'd avoid one described as medium weight, but I consider an SPR profile barrel to be a heavy barrel. I'd love to find some "official" document describing an SPR barrel as a heavy barrel. To me, if it's thicker than a government contour barrel, which was a reinforcement of the original M16 barrel, then it's a heavy barrel; especially if there's no evil step for the M203 grenade launcher.

I don't see the need to search for a barrel with a "Colt Hbar profile" if that's not the requirement. At the same time "SPR" is catchy in marketing AR anything, so the manufacturers use it, instead of describing or defining the actual contour or weight of the barrel. There are "SPR" barrels that are .750" under the handguards, and there are some that are .850"; to me, they're both heavy.

Cheers

Btw, Does Woodbine Guns still exist? There were some good 'ole boys in that place. I did some transfers there many years ago. At the time, they were restoring and really old Harley, that IIRC, was belt-driven. I kind of liked going there.

bigdaddycoolfm

Mar 24, 2014
    what i have gotten as a general answer

So in speaking with friends in LE that are avid sportsmen and some friends that work for Manufacturers of firearms.... it seems that the answer given more often than not for a MD compliant barrel is "Heavy barrels are ususaly little bigger that .75 before the bas block and .75 from gas block forward.

Bull Barrels are usually a little bigger than .936 before the gas block and .936 at the gas block"

marc357

Jan 27, 2008
    Woodbine, MD
    Haha.... it would make for an interesting argument. If I were to assemble an AR with an M4 profile barrel, I would, according to the law, be "guilty of manufacturing an assault weapon"..... which would seemingly make me the "manufacturer ".... but but the government employs a whole herd of people who specialize in using weasel words.

It's not Woodbine Guns anymore, it's changed hands a couple of times it's called South Carroll Sporting Goods now. Same old thing. Wednesdays 6 to 9 p.m. Brian Walker. He's an industry partner here, and he's a good dude.

The guy who's been working in the back all along still restores Henderson motorcycles. Neat stuff.

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    I'd need a little more specific than "a little bigger than .75," and that's one man's word. But I appreciate your feedback all the same.

ETA, I'm not going with a bull barrel; that's absurd.

So in speaking with friends in LE that are avid sportsmen and some friends that work for Manufacturers of firearms.... it seems that the answer given more often than not for a MD compliant barrel is "Heavy barrels are ususaly little bigger that .75 before the bas block and .75 from gas block forward.

Bull Barrels are usually a little bigger than .936 before the gas block and .936 at the gas block"

MG-70

Jul 8, 2007
    MoCo
    It's not Woodbine Guns anymore, it's changed hands a couple of times it's called South Carroll Sporting Goods now. Same old thing. Wednesdays 6 to 9 p.m. Brian Walker. He's an industry partner here, and he's a good dude.

The guy who's been working in the back all along still restores Henderson motorcycles. Neat stuff.

Good to know, maybe I'll stop by one day. IIRC, the guy that used to man the counter, who was quite a character, was called Jerry.

Cheers

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    Unfortunately the state also likes to put people questioning there selves instead of giving a specific criteria. Any new or cocky will question you about your AR because they can. But Any LEO with a good head on his shoulders would realize the picture below or next post would ( don't know how to post two pics in same post pm instructions for future reference please) But even if you do have M4 profile or pencil barrel they get to next question when was it bought complete or stripped. Has anyone ever head there legal rifle ran by any kind of LEO just to check the dates?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
      image.jpeg
      21.1 KB · Views: 219

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    What if the barrel is advertised as "Heavy Varmint" or "Heavy Bull"? I can find barrels in a variety of contours and advertised on the selling websites (like Midway) using those descriptions. I can also get custom barrels turned to heavy specifications and get them marked as such.

Matt

Doitsouthstyle

Apr 4, 2012
    Baltimore County
    I have built all my ARs since 2013 so when I walk into a gun shop I don't really ask much about them but there is usually a pretty wide variety. But does anyone know if all the ARs currently being sold in the state are labeled Hbar clearly or being sold because the company producing them says they are HBAR? If any IPs can step in a help us identify what makes an AR-15 MD state complaint and why you carry it on your shelves would really help this thread along with past threads and more future ones the will obviously come.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    MSP has stated if it's advertised as a heavy barrel or stamped as a heavy barrel-it's an HBAR. Nothing else really exists AFAIK.

I think that is correct. Go to the advertising or marketing lit. for the barrel or ask an FFL if he can sell it in MD.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Do you know the contour of a Colt Sporter, and does it matter if the Colt Sporter wasn't threaded? Someone could make a big deal about the diameter of a threaded muzzle.

Thanks again!

Some were threaded and some were not. Mine is threaded.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The Colt Sporter has an A2 bbl profile ( have one). The Colt Sporter HBAR was a seperate model.

guyman

Oct 23, 2015
    Kent Island
    I read this forum a couple times and am still a little on the fence about the exact description. I understand that the barrel has to be .750 from gas block back but can it have the grenade launcher cutout or is that a no go? does it have to be .750 or bigger the complete length of the barrel? I hate these dang laws here in MD...

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I read this forum a couple times and am still a little on the fence about the exact description. I understand that the barrel has to be .750 from gas block back but can it have the grenade launcher cutout or is that a no go? does it have to be .750 or bigger the complete length of the barrel? I hate these dang laws here in MD...

It's NOT the size. MSP says it based on the manufacturer stamping it or advertising it as HBAR.

Yeah, we don't believe it either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom